The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 24, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Anthony2

Lasermax Concerns awaiting HQ reply...

The title basically says it all.....

I have e-mailed Lasermax with the issues presented on this site and HS2000talk.com. I am currently awaiting a response, although I have been assured all concerns will be addressed shortly.

Time will tell....I will post the response ASAP...
Kind Regards,

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 27, 2006, 11:35 PM   #2
bulbboy

What issues?
Old March 28, 2006, 01:39 AM   #3
GlocksRfun

Yeah, what issues, I've got 2 of them and have no issues with them, other than I have to give em new batteries every once in a while.
Old March 30, 2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Anthony2

Issues

Well, I'm looking at a .45 XD and wanted a Lasermax set-up for it.
That was until I read all the stories on hs2000talk.com about, the system melting, breaking, or generally speaking not being as durable as advertised.

What types of guns have you used them in?

I just don't want to spend the money, if the product isn't reliable.

Old April 7, 2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Anthony2

Finally I Got Some Information!!!!!!!

I finally got a response...
"While a very limited number of our products have adversely affected some customers, we have a will continue to do the very best. Should a situation arise as a result of one of our products, contact customer service. In the event that we cannot immediately rectify the situation, arrangements will be made to adequately address all customer concerns, as well as maintain, the highest level of quality in the future"

Old April 7, 2006, 06:19 PM   #6
HectikMind7

That just dumb people who don't take care of thier equipment. It's common sence. I know that my Mini 14 is stainless steel and that it get's very hot very fast and stays that way. Now when you go and put 200 rounds throught it in an hour I also know not to leave a chambered round in it because it will cook off. Same thing with the Laser Max. If you know your going to be shooting alot, take it out. The back cap is plastic. Plastic melts when it get extremely hot. Now I can see why that would cause a problem but it only takes a few seconds to remove it. Other then that the thing works great. I love mine and had never had it not work right. If anyone feels different I'ed love to hear why.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!!
Old April 11, 2006, 11:41 PM   #7
Anthony2

Good way of looking at it...

I just couldn't see putting my money into something that could be sub-quality. Although, you're right that would be a rather simple fix.

Old April 12, 2006, 10:20 AM   #8
MEDDAC19

HectikMind7

200 rounds in an hour? You have problems if your rifle will cook off rounds after this amount of shooting. I have put more than that through an M16 in a matter of minutes without any concerns. How do you think they fired rifles during wars? You can put more than 200 rounds out of a manually operated gun in way less than an hour.

Back when they used muskets, a good rifleman could put almost that many rounds out in an hour. Now with black powder I would worry about a cook off, but not with a new rifle.

I would think that the lazermax melting is a problem. It is designed for use on a gun that they know will get hot. Polymer framed weapons are plastic and they don't melt if there are several hundred rounds put through them.
Old April 12, 2006, 10:29 AM   #9
exar

I use a LaserMax in my Sig 228. Never had a problem except when it's time to change the batteries. I've owned mine for at least 2 or 3 years.
Old April 12, 2006, 11:51 AM   #10
GlocksRfun

G21.. 2,000+ rounds. Have shot it till it hurts to pick up (cause of heat). never a problem. Manufactured in 7/03
G17 maybe 500+ rounds. 2 33round clips. 100 bullets in a minute. never a problem. Manufactured in 9/05
I can't get enough of the lasermax. The only problem is that batteries wear out. I think the spring is weak also. I recently changed out the spring in the G21. If you take care of it, it won't let u down.

Old April 19, 2006, 10:09 AM   #11
8541/9999

No heat problems

I have delt with Lasermax customer assistance for questions concerning the lasers for the military pistols we use. Mostly for product knowledge as none of the models in our M-9s ever broke or failed to work. That doesnt sound like them. First of all we never had one shut down or have issues due to heat or anything else. Sure the batteries run out but so does my ammo, just do good Preventive maintenance. As for how the work AWSOME!!!!!
Old April 20, 2006, 01:48 PM   #12
Anthony2

WOW!!! heads roll when you start an uproar!!

Apparently a higher up at Lasermax saw the original thread I posted questioning the quality of their product! I didn't know they browsed sites like that...

She emails me wanting to know who I spoke with, the concerns I had, if they were addressed to my satisfaction, and if I want to be put on an advance notification list for the arrival of a laser on the XD .45... Talk about customer service! I was very pleased to see them take such concern with my happiness...That doesn't happen often with companies in today's world...

Yes I asked to be put on the list...Sheesh! Maybe everytime I'm unsure about a product I should email the company and then post the results online....Not a bad idea...maybe other companies would follow the example of Lasermax and go beyond the norm to satisfy their customers...

Old April 21, 2006, 12:19 AM   #13
GlocksRfun

+1 lasermax

I also got an Email from her. I was also very surprised that anyone from there was checking things out over here. Once again, Lasermax is giving me free stuff Usually, I gotta bitch and whine a lot to get free stuff out of a company. Lasermax is the opposite, they look for people to give free stuff to. If only lasermax ran Ford, then things would be ok. Anyways, Every day I'm liking lasermax more and more. Kinda makes me wanna go buy another gun so I can put a lasermax in it. Greatest lasers and greatest customer service... Thanks Lasermax

This is the first Email that I got.

This morning I stumbled upon your comments about LaserMax at The Firing Line forum. I am so pleased that you have had such good experiences with your LaserMax sights, and appreciate the fact that you are willing to share them! Also, I loved your photo of the two Glocks.

So, how do some free batteries sound? If you would be so kind as to respond to this email with your LaserMax model #/s and a mailing address, I will have some sent to you right away.

Some food for thought: During the next few months I will be adding a customer upload area on our website where users can post photos and stories. I would love for you to be one of the first ones to post on it!

Keep having fun with your GLOCK and LaserMax!

Sincerely,
Celia Crane

Celia E. Crane
Marketing Coordinator
LaserMax, Inc.
3495 Winton Place
Rochester, NY 14623
(800) 527-3703, x307
www.lasermax.com
Old April 21, 2006, 04:50 AM   #14
Mr.GlockGuy

Hey everyone this is my first post!

I just got a Lasermax LMS-1181 myself the other day (on 4-19-06). I had a little problem with the unit myself aswell. I contacted Lasermax by email about 5 hours after I installed the unit because of the problem. My email was replied to the next day by Steve Gerhardt Director of Training and Technical Support. Here is the email i sent explaining the problem and their reply. If anyone has had similar issues let me know.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:13 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: LaserMax Contact Form

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
[email protected] on April 20th, 2006 at 03:13AM (EDT).

firstName: Jason
lastName: Ervino
address1: 306 Richy Rd.
city: Roanoke
state: tx
zip: 76262
phone: 871-491-1628
email: [email protected]

comments: I just purchased a Lasermax LMS-1181 for my Glock 36. I
thought I would love it immensely... but have a big problem. One among many of the reasons I purchased the unit was the ease of activation I heard so much about. "Just draw the gun, push the activation switch in with your
index finger and your ready to go." this is what I have heard. This is not
the case with the unit I recieved. It is extremely hard to push the
modified take down lever/activation switch in... especially far enough to
activate the laser. It barely wants to move at all. I have to hold the gun with
two hands, hold it sideway, and push in with my thumb nail(I cant get it in
at all with only a finger tip, just a finger nail). The switch then goes
in past being flush with the take-down lever opening of the gun. Then it
comes on. This is all changes when the slide is locked back, It is as easy as
pie then... just like I thought it would be with the slide closed. I dont
know if this is a normal thing or if I just got a bad activation switch or
what. Either way I would like someone to tell me if this is fixable and if so
lets do it. $300 for this laser and I can barely turn it on.
When I have the unit activated it works superbly and is dead on target. I love the unit, the design and the way it works with the gun, but the activation needs to be fixed. I have checked and re-check to make sure I was instaling it properly and it is. Please Help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: [email protected]
CC: "D Claffey" <[email protected]>
Subject: LaserMax Contact Form
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:47:17 -0400

Jason,
The stiff switch is usually caused by dry firing the gun before
using the switch. Make sure the trigger is in the forward cocked
position, as it would be if loaded, before using the switch. Only the model 36 uses the short switch because of the single stack frame. If you look at the concave area around the switch on a model 36 you can see it is much shallower than any other Glock. That's the reason the switch has to be pushed in so far, there is less switch exposed. That's a function of the single stack design and, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to avoid it. A longer switch turns in in holsters.

Steve Gerhardt
Director of Training and Technical Support
800-527-3703 ext 311
585-272-5420 ext 311
[email protected]
LaserMax, Inc
3495 Winton Pl, Bldg. B
Rochester, NY 14623
Old April 21, 2006, 10:50 AM   #15
GlocksRfun

My full size glocks become hard to work after I dry fire. I re-cock and it's good to go.
Old April 23, 2006, 10:41 AM   #16
RobRocket

I have yet to see a pistol with a laser sight that lines up with the actual sights on the gun when I point it and this includes 2 glocks with lasermax sights... What gives? So far I'm unimpressed and haven't even been inclined to even think about purchasing one.

I will get night sights and am considering a rail light.
Old August 25, 2009, 09:33 AM   #17
GlocksRfun

Both Lasermaxs are still going strong and I still love them.