The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2009, 02:07 AM   #1
rosspulliam

First 10 Reloads for .45 ACP

Well, here they are in all of their glory. I hope they work!

Remington Brass
Remington 2 1/2 Large Pistol Primers
6.0 Grains of WSF
200 Gr LSWC boolits from Lasercast
1.222 OAL (wwpoweder.com listed 1.225 as max OAL, and dummy rounds at that length wouldn't feed well, shortening .001 at a time, I got to 1.222 and they started to feed regularly)

I haven't done the LFCD just yet, as I need to get a 4th breech lock thingy for my Lee Challenger press (I'm using the Lee Anniversary Kit to get started on a budget, and we'll see where I go from here!).

Why these items? Well, it's what Cabela's had in stock, and I didn't want to wait! I actually was hoping to start with HP-38, Bullseye, AA5, or something similar, but WSF is what they had (and none of the rest). In fact, this is the ONLY pound of powder that had reliable load data across multiple sources for this caliber!

I'm pretty sure that I'll close my eyes and pray right before pulling the trigger. I'm sure it will be fine though . Just to give you an idea on how paranoid I was...I spent over 3 hours just to get the 10 cartridges you see here LOL. I've got 40 more sized and primed. I'm going to see how I like this load, and if its okay I'm just going to stick with loading the minimum load for a little bit until I get better at this little hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullets1.jpg (237.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg bullets2.jpg (188.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg bullets3.jpg (220.5 KB, 68 views)
Old January 30, 2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Yoosta B. Blue

Welcome to the forum, rosspulliam!

It's good that you have exercised diligence and care in the crafting of these first rounds. I shot a quantity of those at first, but discovered that my gun likes LRNFP the best. I've since loaded a couple thousand of them with no failures to feed...

Here's wishing you all the best as you continue on in the fun of "rolling your own!" I love reloading almost as much as shooting.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old January 30, 2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Powderman

Those loads sound good; according to the most recent online data, found at: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp you are right at the starting range for that powder. This site lists loading data for Winchester powders, too, BTW.

Make sure that you apply a proper taper crimp; I crimp to .470 for mine--some like it a bit tighter, in the .468 range. Good shooting to you!
Old January 30, 2009, 07:20 AM   #4
45Marlin carbine

welcome to the forum Ross. as a general rule crimp lightly the cast slugs. I haven't tryed the LSWC's in my 1911 but have shot them in my Camp Carbine (not so good - some say Micro-groove rifleing doesn't like cast) and my 625 (did very well, as good as match jacketed)
Old January 30, 2009, 03:37 PM   #5
floydster

Hummm, I taper crimp to .472 max. with a .452 dia cast bullet.
Floydster
Old January 30, 2009, 04:35 PM   #6
PCJim

Ross, welcome to both the board and to reloading. Your first group of reloads look fine. You may be able to forego the FCD as some use it (I do), others don't. One way to tell, and to give yourself further confidence in what you have created, is to remove the barrel from your 45 and drop each new reload into the chamber. They should drop in easily with the muzzle down and drop out just as easily with muzzle up. Be sure to check the seating depth while in the chamber.

We have all been there, having our new creations and taking that first trigger pull. Eyes closed, head turned away, almost cringing while praying that everything will perform as expected without injury to the weapon, ourself or others in the area. Bang! You open your eyes to find the weapon and your hands still intact, and a gratifying grin immediately appears. You will be forever hooked.

All the best, Jim
Old January 30, 2009, 04:49 PM   #7
dssajj

Ross one word of WARNING!! The hobby and forum you have started are very addictive. Good luck and welcome
Old January 31, 2009, 12:16 AM   #8
alan

I used the following in 45 ACP.
rosspuliam:
200 Grain SWC (H & G 68 Mold or similar) sized .452" diameter
4.6 - 5.2 Grains of Red Dot I shot IPSC and the power factor for Major Caliber has changed.
Winchester Standard Large Pistol Primers
OAL of Cartridge 1.260"
Diameter of loaded round (Taper Crimped) over mouth of case .470 "
Cases: whatever was handy

The foregoing is what I used for quite a few years, the 5.2 grain charge, which chronographed just over 900 f/sec, power factor of 180, this when Major Caliber required PF of not less than 175. Currently, PF required for Major Caliber is 160 or 165, cannot quite remember. BTW, PF is bullet wt x velocity divided by 1000.

The OAL you mentioned 1.222 sounds overly short. As to powder, 231 should work as would Unique, not to mention a myriad of others.