The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2018, 02:43 PM   #26
bamaranger

looks

I'm a softie for blue steel and walnut too. The first season I hunted with a matte finished, poly stocked firearm, I felt like I was missing something. The gun (a rifle in that case) had no soul.

I must confess that my 870, that I bought all those years ago, has lost its walnut stock/forearm for synthetic ones, and a rattle can paint job, I've even painted the stubby 21" (w/ rem choked with a turkey tube) barrel green. And the green painted synthetic stock is adorned with a foam cheek pad that is held on with camo duct tape and a saddle mounted optic. I left the receiver blued, but painted the saddle mount. The gun is absolutely hideous.

But in about 20 minutes, I can reinstall the factory wood (I actually bought an extra forearm assembly, so swapping is easy) screw one of the matched 26" full or IC choked barrels on, and it will look classy again. Except, since I don't hunt small game much anymore, I quit swapping it back and forth and leave it in its gobbler hunting get -up.

I got my Dad's 28" barreled pump out the other night and two items came to mind at first sight as I slid it from the case and shouldered the old gun. One was how long the barrel seemed after toting a stubby turkey gun (21" and 24") almost exclusively for 25 years. The other was the quality of the stock and forearm. Despite being a price point shotgun (it's a Savage 67) the wood (real walnut) was really nicely figured and had a gorgeous deep color with grain. Back in the 70's, even blue collar guns got nice wood.
Old May 5, 2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Agree, you stole it.
Did you load it and keep the dealer covered as you laid down the $200?

One advantage was that it is past the end of hunting season, even bamaranger is out of the woods, and hunting guns are a drag on inventory through the summer.
Old May 5, 2018, 05:42 PM   #28
Buzzcook

Most people would need a wayback machine to get that kind of price. Well done.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:06 PM   #29
cloud8a

I really still have a hard time I snatched it up at that price. Pulled it all apart when I got home certain something would be wrong. I think the owner took it out fired 10 times and then left it in his closet.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:17 PM   #30
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
Chance's are he will have a very nice shotgun setting in his safe tonight.

Many of today's buying crowd want's no glare sandblasted finish with those ugly
plastic stocks. Must not forget extended magazine holding extra shells, a flashlight and red dot laser sight.

I agree ! I fir one am tired of seeing all the matte finish and plastic stocks myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2018, 10:10 PM   #31
cloud8a

Quote:
Agree, you stole it.
Did you load it and keep the dealer covered as you laid down the $200?

One advantage was that it is past the end of hunting season, even bamaranger is out of the woods, and hunting guns are a drag on inventory through the summer.
Man it was dawning on me in real time. I went up there the day before twice to make sure the gun was what I thought it could be. But I couldn't get it unless I sold one of my other shotguns, wife rules. So I had my old 62 16 gauge Wingmaster sold by that night. The 16 was okay but it was a fixed full choke and old and just wasn't able to do what I wanted. I got it for $130 a year before. But its hard to find 16 shells for turkey. I needed a universal shotgun that could take deer, turkey and hog with 3 inch shells.

As soon as their doors opened the next day I was the first one at the counter.
Old May 6, 2018, 07:06 AM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8a View Post
. . . . Its a 870 Wingmaster Magnum 12 with RemChok manufactured in 1989.

got it for $200 cash out the door.
Yeah, you done good. That's a "brother-in-law price" or better.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:58 AM   #33
bamaranger

I see

I remember your 16 ga posts. I a will admit a soft spot for the 16 gauge myself. But you will be better armed for gobblers, and have a better all game, GP shotgun with the 12 ga. Barrel options, choke options, ammo options, etc, etc.
Old June 2, 2018, 11:30 PM   #34
cloud8a

update

Took it out for the first time this evening. I have to say there's a HUGE difference in recoil from a 16 with 2 3/4 to a 12 with 3. My head was hurting after the 3rd shell. It put more than enough shot into the turkey target at 40 or so yards.
As far as the slugs, I need a little more practice. I wasn't way off but low left. Shot them out to about 40-50 yards. 1st one was center but low, 2nd shot missed the target entirely and the 3rd was low left. I was holding low because I thought the recoil would send them high.

I have to admit a dumb mistake. The first slug I shot I forgot to remove the turkey tube. when I saw it I cringed. Then I switched to improved cylinder.

Which one is ideal for slug, improved cylinder or cylinder? I actually haven't seen a cylinder at Cabelas or Academy. I hope I'm not being stupid and cylinder just means no choke tube in the barrel.
Old June 3, 2018, 04:53 AM   #35
Virginian

You will have to test different chokes and slugs to see what works best. Usually a modified or less choke. And before all the people who say less choke jump in I will say that an 870 with a modified choke was THE most accurate smoothbore slug gun I have ever seen.
Old June 3, 2018, 08:59 AM   #36
Ricklin

Choke tube

Don't shoot W/O a choke tube on a gun that has them. At the very least you will get lead and debris in the threads.
Old June 3, 2018, 10:04 AM   #37
smee78

When I was forced to use a shotgun for deer hunting (WMA Property) I bought a rifled cantilever barrel that came ported for my Mossberg 500. I used the Hornady SST slugs with their flex tips and was getting a little over an inch at about 100ish yrds or so. It was like shooting a rifle with a big chunk of lead heading down range. I was impressed with how well they worked and were really accurate in my setup. Congrats on getting a great price on your new 870. Be sure to buy a few different slugs to see what works best with your gun. It also sounds like you may be flinching due to the increased recoil from the 12ga, be sure to bring along a 22 or something fun to shoot between slugs.
Old June 3, 2018, 01:59 PM   #38
MTT TL

Local prices vary a lot. The last Wingmaster I bought was $125 out the door. Runs like a top.

The gun market is still pretty saturated around here. Before the election the gun shops all went out and bought dozens of AR's in hopes of turning a tidy profit. When that didn't happen a couple of places went under.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:11 AM   #39
Rifletom

A little to this, but, man, you got yourself a very good deal. WTG. Don't find Wingmaster's in that good of condition everyday for that price. Excellent find.