The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Lavan

Any suggestions for a 45 ACP..... FEEBLE...load?

I have had for sale a gun I lusted for for many years. (M25 S&W target revolver.)

I do NOT want to ...sell... this gun as it is so ungodly accurate.
The ONLY reason I ...have/had... it for sale is because ..even with muffs and plugs, my ears are SO bad that it affects them.

Soooooo I got the bright idea this AM to get a modestly priced reloader setup and reload some really TAME loads for 45 ACP.

I used to shoot a Gold Cup with squib loads. It was GREAT for paper punching.

Which.....

brings me to the point of this post.

What load would you suggest that would make it all the way through the barrel (6.5") and go...jusssssttttt 25 yards with enough poop to go through paper or knock over a tin can and

be...MILD?

Thanks and I hope you can get this thing down to quiet enough for me to shoot again.

I presently can shoot 38 wadcutters with no adverse hearing effect.

Thanks a bunch.

Here's hoping.
Old May 18, 2018, 05:04 PM   #2
reddog81

3.6 grains of Bullseye is a popular light load with 200 and 185 SWC's. You can probably go lower but you'll run into real dirty loads and high velocity spreads with the potential to stick a bullet in the barrel.
Old May 18, 2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Lavan

I...think... I was using 3.5 of either Bullseye or Unique.

It was accurate.

Now, I need to get a press. A simple one.

I ...gave..my RCBS to my son-in-law....who has NEVER used it.
But he won't give it back.
Old May 18, 2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Dufus

What kinda muffs & plugs do you use??
Old May 18, 2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Carmady

When I was researching this site for info on leading I came across a thread where someone was talking about the S&W 45 ACP revolvers and mentioned that the type of rifling used on different recent models determined on how the gun worked with lead vs jacketed bullets.

You might want to find out what's better, lead or FMJ, for your gun before gearing up to reload.

Edit: here's part of it.
"It is not correct to pronounce the type of rifling irrelevant. I have a $1000 625 PC bought to replace a 625JM, because the Performance Center version has cut rifling and works fine with lead, while the 625JM was a nightmare."
Old May 18, 2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Lavan

What kinda muffs & plugs do you use??
============================

Decibel Defense NRR 34-37 muffs.

Have also used Peltor active. but the DD works better.

Combined with EITHER Flents Quiet Please NRR 29

and/or the custom FITTED ones from my audiologist.

None of which attenuates enough blast.

I can shoot 38 wadcutters or 22 with minimal problems but I...surmise... the added bore diameter MAY increase the impact of the sound.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Sevens

I have no suggestions on a poof load for .45 ACP but I will warm you to please keep in mind that loads typically used in a locked breech semi-auto can easily stuck a bullet in a revolver as the revolver has the cylinder gap that can and will bleed off much needed pressure, leaving you with a stuck bullet.
Old May 19, 2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Dufus

I don't know what to offer since you are using some very good muffs & plugs.

Shooting out doors in the open reduces sound pressure somewhat, but conductive bone will transfer sound levels efficiently still.

I lost some some hearing function when I was a teen, and have had to learn proper protection. That was way before the technology became available to common man. That was over 50 years ago. It was common then to use cotton balls stuffed into the ear canal.

I now use electronic muffs combine with electronic plugs.

So sorry that you may have to just shoot the baby boomers and be happy with it.

Hopefully there will be a solution offered by someone else.
Old May 19, 2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Lavan

The stuff I used in my Gold Cup for comp was ....WAYY ... mild.

Had to use a lower recoil spring.

I ....think... these would do it. I am only "theorizing" as there is NO definitive answer.

My audiologist is stumped, too.

He can NOT see how anything makes it past the level of attenuation I use now.

I am ...thinking....MAYBE.... that the larger bore than the .38 creates a different sound wave profile. One that may do the bone conduction.

I am gonna try getting a single caliber Lee loader and some 200 gr semi WC lead bullets and seeing if I can get something that will be tolerable.

This has been a poser for almost 2 years now after the inconsiderate bozo fired his PORTED ....whatever.... (Lazzeroni ?) next to me and the club did NOT tell him to use the sound barrels the CLUB PROVIDES.
They "require" them to be used for ported rifles.

One of the best things this guy has going for his continued lifetime is that I have no idea who he was.

Old May 19, 2018, 06:24 PM   #10
David R

3.5 grains bullseye should get a good accurate powder puff load with your 200 LSWC.

David
Old May 19, 2018, 11:44 PM   #11
Dufus

I know what you are talking about with the bozo. I have contended with that too.

I have shot a lot of loads with 3.0 grn. of Red Dot with the cast 200 grn. SWC. I have a lot of Red Dot, so I use it even in some rifle loads.

I have a 460 and I never shoot it off a bench or under cover. Just too damn loud.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:01 AM   #12
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavan View Post
I...think... I was using 3.5 of either Bullseye or Unique.

It was accurate.

Now, I need to get a press. A simple one.

I ...gave..my RCBS to my son-in-law....who has NEVER used it.
But he won't give it back.
It was probably Bullseye , 3.5 t0 3.8 grains of Bullseye is a popular 45 acp revolver load , some target 1911's will even function with it. 185 or 200 grain cast bullet and you should be good.

In 45 acp I've only had good luck with a minimum of 5.0 grains of Unique , that's about the lowest pressure it burns completely and cleanly at. 45 acp isn't a high pressure round.
I won a first place trophy in a G.I. 1911 match with 200 gr. cast SWC and 5.2 grains of Unique. Anything less wasn't quite as accurate or as complete burning.
Gary
Old May 20, 2018, 11:20 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

3.5 of Bullseye is actually below minimum for a cast 200 according to Alliant. Doesn't matter if it's a pistol or a revolver either. That is the load I use for a cast 121 grain 9mm though.
Been using 4.5 of Bullseye with a cast 230 RN out of my Colt 1911A1 for eons. 100% reliable. However, I'd look into your ear defenders first. They sound like they're not up to the job.
The load doesn't make much difference if you're shooting inside or on a range with berms on the side.
What you need is an otolaryngologist. Not an Audiologist. That'd be an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor. An audiologist is a licensed hearing healthcare professional. Think Ear Doctor vs a Hearing Doctor.
Old May 20, 2018, 02:12 PM   #14
Safestuffer

Beware, I went the same route with .38 wadcutters....loaded them so light I was getting no recoil and a report like a .22. It was great fun at the range, getting around 350-400fps....until I stuck a bullet in the barrel.

My go to powder puff .45 acp load is a 200gr. swc over a light charge of Clays. Charge is just above minimum listed by Lyman's 49th. Shoots very light but still reliably cycles a 1911.
Old May 20, 2018, 02:13 PM   #15
Hammerhead

I have tinnitus in both ears. Very sensitive to muzzle blast.
I've found slower powders combined with heavy bullets gives the softest muzzle blast.
For 45 acp I'm using 230 TMJ with 5.5 grains of N340 (Unique also works well).
It' very soft shooting, easy on the ears, just cycles my USP 45.

Try the slower powders, your ears will thank you.
Old May 20, 2018, 03:21 PM   #16
Dufus

I agree with what Hammerhead said. VV N340 is a good powder in most semi-autos that I shoot.

According to VihtaVouri, it has the relative burn rate as Herco, Longshot, Silhouette.
Old May 20, 2018, 04:07 PM   #17
Jim Watson

I am loading .45 ACP 3.1 gr of Bullseye + 230 coated. Under 600 fps, functions auto with 12 lb recoil spring, very mild in revolver.
Note that Lyman's starting load in .45 Auto Rim is 3.0 gr BE with either 200 or 230 cast so you are not at much risk of sticking a bullet.
Old May 20, 2018, 09:09 PM   #18
Lavan

What you need is an otolaryngologist. Not an Audiologist. That'd be an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor. An audiologist is a licensed hearing healthcare professional. Think Ear Doctor vs a Hearing Doctor.

==========================

You're right. And I ...am...working with both.

Good muffs, good plugs, good doctors. AND ear techs.

I even bought a CZ 455 Ultra Max 22 rifle with the 28" barrel to be ...really... safe.

And it is.

NO ONE has pinpointed this seemingly unique condition I have.
WHY does 9mm and even .357 be okay (not GOOD...but ok) and only the 45 give me trouble?

And to top it off, all this shooting is outdoors. OPEN field.

A mystery.

I'm still gonna try the 200 gr SWC lead bullets and experiment with powder but probably START with the Bullseye.

Just cuz I is used to it.
Old May 20, 2018, 09:20 PM   #19
JT-AR-MG42

Much like Jim Watson has mentioned, I'm pushing either 155gr. or 185gr. SWCs with 3.3 grs. of Bullseye with a light taper crimp through my 25-2.

It shoots fine at 25yds, although you need to stay on the high side of falling plates to get them to tip.
Even with high hits, the plates fall in slow motion.

JT
Old May 21, 2018, 03:26 PM   #20
Buzzcook

Try Trail Boss or one of the other black powder substitutes. You should be able to get to ~600fps.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:02 AM   #21
Lavan

I'm thinking maybe the 185 might be a better choice than the 200.
Opinions?
Old May 22, 2018, 05:22 AM   #22
mikejonestkd

185s should be just fine for powder puff plinking loads. Like others have mentioned above - 3.6 gr of bullseye should get you the results you are looking for.

I have gone as low as 3.1 gr under a 185 swc @ 1.225" but they just barely cycle in a 1911 with a 9lb spring. You might want to stay above this load- especially for a revolver that loses a bit of pressure due to the cylinder gap.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:11 AM   #23
RickB

You can get away with less powder if you use a heavy bullet.
3.5 of B'eye might a very minimal load with a 185, but it's not with a 255.

Proceed at your own risk:

"Midway's data with the Midway 255 SWC using Remington cases and RP2-1/2 primer with Alliant Bullseye powder. Starting load at 3.1 grains and up to 3.9 grains maximum. Velocity 640-754 fps. The loaded overall length was 1.275 inch."
Old May 22, 2018, 10:44 AM   #24
Lavan

The only lead wadcutters I'm finding are either 185 or 200.

I'm finding heavier round nose, but have always liked the WC.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:23 PM   #25
Hammerhead

How about a 185 coated SWC from MBC http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...5&secondary=13 with a light load of HP-38?

My ears don't like Bullseye or Power Pistol, very noisy powders. HP-38 will do anything Bullseye does with less noise.