The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 29, 2015, 05:57 AM   #26
darkgael

.44 Bulldog

.44 Webley on the left with a bullet from GAD Custom Cartridges and one loaded with a .440 lead round ball. The case is from GAD.
The case far on the right is the 44 Bulldog made from .44 SPL. The bullet is a .440 lead round ball. Black powder loads.

How do I get the picture to show (like it used to) as opposed to the link?
Pete
http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com (be prepared to wait if you do business with him)

Last edited by darkgael; December 29, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old December 29, 2015, 01:49 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

OP is 6 years old.
Old December 29, 2015, 07:45 PM   #28
darkgael

Yipe

Ouch! I didnt (obviously) check the date. Just saw that there were a couple of new posts.
Pete
Old December 30, 2015, 10:10 PM   #29
MoscowMike

While this thread is old, in case anyone is looking for cast Webley bullets for reloading, I have had good luck with those made by Bill Benny.

[email protected]

Both the round and flat nose are soft lead with generous hollow bases, sized to fit the Webley. Mine has a shaved cylinder so I am using .45 Auto Rim cases loaded to the lower pressures the Webley is happy with.

Lots more information here - http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
Old February 15, 2016, 03:46 PM   #30
Inner Dark

No. Those are actually .455 brass and not usable in a 44 Webley. You are indeed stuck with cutting down either .303 British, or .44 Special/.44 Magnum or .44 Russian brass to about 0.7" (unless your gun allows you to go to 0.8" or so) then thinning the rim from the front back to 0.02". You will also be having fun finding the proper bullet mold. You need a bullet that is both heeled and hollow based. The good news is u aren't stuck with an obsolete round nose shape and can go for something with a decent meplat such as a SWC or a full wad-cutter. Try 7/16 inch for a bullet diameter. Try 27/64 inch for the heel diameter and a 3/8 inch bolt for the hollow base. The next fun will be finding a collet crimper.
Old February 15, 2016, 05:42 PM   #31
RickB

I have a RIC First Pattern, and a .45 GAP round fits perfectly in the chamber(s).
Is there a shoulder in the chamber, or does it rely on the case rim for headspace (I don't remember)? If the former, GAP brass might be the easiest way to go.
Please, PLEASE, don't consider pulling the trigger on a factory GAP round.
Old February 16, 2016, 10:42 AM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I have a RIC First Pattern, and a .45 GAP round fits perfectly in the chamber(s)."

There is a significant difference in case diameter between a .44 Webley (.454) and a .45 GAP (.472). There's no way that a GAP round should fit in an RIC cylinder.

I'm wondering if your revolver was reamed at some point in the past for .455.

"Is there a shoulder in the chamber, or does it rely on the case rim for headspace?"

In original .44 Webley-chambered revolvers there shouldn't be a shoulder. If your gun was rebored, there may be a shoulder.

In any even, I'm guessing that the rim provides the headspacing on your gun.

I would suggest, though, having it looked over by a competent gunsmith.

Again, if a .45 GAP case fits in your cylinder, there's something odd going on.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 16, 2016, 01:13 PM   #33
RickB

I have no idea what may have happened in the past. It looks like it's been buried for 100 years, and hadn't considered that it may have been modded in the distant past.
I do have some Canadian .455 Mk. VI rounds, and will see if they will chamber.

Old February 16, 2016, 08:12 PM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

Check the marking. Many Webley RIC revolvers were made for .450 and .455. Mine is marked ".455."

And many of those imported here were converted to .45 Colt. A .45 ACP or .45 GAP will fit, of course, but will drop too far into the chamber.

FWIW, .45 Colt in that small gun makes for a handful in recoil.

Jim
Old February 17, 2016, 11:45 PM   #35
gyvel

So, can anyone tell me what .45 Webley equates to? They're Winchester, the box is old, and they are blanks.

OK, never mind. Google revealed via a Wikipedia article that ".45 Webley" is the name given in the U.S. to .450 Adams.

So, apparently I have a 3/4 full box of Winchester .450 Adams blanks. Go figure...
SIFE
Old February 18, 2016, 07:36 AM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

I THINK the .450 was the first metallic centerfire cartridge adopted by the British military as a service sidearm.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.