The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 14, 2012, 11:38 AM   #26
Skans

Quote:
B-S I cry,,,
Not only do I eat Quiche,,,
I make a mean one with bacon and sharp cheddar.
While I'm all for keeping guns looking near-perfect, let's not get too crazy with quiche and crying.....
Old November 17, 2012, 11:23 AM   #27
highpower3006

I try to keep my guns as nice as possible.....but if you actually use one it is bound to acquire some character over the years.

Nearly all of mine have a bit of wear here and there, partly because I very rarely buy a new firearm and partly because I shoot my guns and a certain amount of wear is inevitable.

Probably the most worn gun I have is my old Model 29, made in '59 and likely shipped in 1960, it has been carried and shot a lot.

On the other hand, I have a Colt Single Action that I bought second hand, but NIB. I shoot it, but try not to ding it up.

Old November 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #28
Warrior1256

I have to admit that I think that all of my handguns are things of beauty. However at the end of the day I consider them as tools. Therefore wear does not bother me.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:15 PM   #29
wpsdlrg

I'm with the OP on this, I must admit. I have a thing about guns that are "too nice"..... that is, too pristine. Very hard to explain.....and I'm not sure I know why myself, but I am simply more comfortable with a gun once it has a bit of wear on it.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:31 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

On a blued gun, a finish is more than just cosmetic, it also provides some measure (albeit limited) of corrosion protection. Cosmetic wear on a "work" gun doesn't bother me. Loss of corrosion protection does. That's why none of my "work" guns have blued finishes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that cosmetic wear on a work gun is not only expected and inevitable, it's also irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. Things that are used show evidence of use sooner or later, and while I don't abuse my tools and I maintain them per the manufacturer's recommendations, I don't get bent out of shape when I get a rock chip on the hood of the car, a door ding, or when my carry gun starts to show holster wear.

Along the same lines, I'm not willing to spend time agonizing over some way to make an old gun that is used daily look keep looking like it's new or parking a mile from the doors of the supermarket to try to avoid door dings. The gun/car is there to serve me, not the other way around. I'll take care of a gun/car so it keeps working for a reasonable service life and doesn't deteriorate from neglect, but normal wear and tear is going to accumulate and that's just life.

I don't look forward to those things, but I also think, on some level, that they are a sort of badge of honor. Like the "burn rings"/carbon scoring on the front of a well-used and frequently shot revolver.