The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2020, 04:13 PM   #1
tomaustin

arisaka type 38..safety knob malfunction...

The safety works properly...locks down the bolt firing mechanism as it should and releases on turning back to the left....However, I cannot dismantle/unscrew the safety from the bolt assembly...the bolt functions correctly on opening and closing and dry firing the cocked bolt....i then remove the bolt from the receiver and, after pushing the safety in with my hand, attempt to turn the safety to the right to detach it from the bolt for cleaning and inspection of the bolt internals.....It will not budge........any known problems or solutions ? with the bolt functioning correctly, i am not sure i need to worry about this right now.....but, it is the only device on the weapon where I have experienced a problem...any opinions will be gratefully received........Tom, in Texas...
Old September 14, 2020, 04:39 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

I just checked a type 99 and what you are doing should work. Mine came apart easily.

remove bolt from rifle, push in on the safety and turn to the right (clockwise) it should turn to its stop and come right off.

If you can't move it, that suggests something is blocking it like some debris or rust. You could try soaking it then flushing it with a penetrative oil/cleaner and see it that loosens things

Good Luck!
Old September 15, 2020, 12:12 AM   #3
tomaustin

a long soak sure would not hurt....to immerse the entire bolt, i will need a 2" deep tray and fill with a good penetrating oil....i will set it up tomorrow and give it a couple of days for time to work....i will report my results here....really appreciate your response...........tom
Old September 15, 2020, 11:04 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Keep trying with adequate, but not excessive force. Eventually, it should free up, between the soaking and the movement.