The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 2, 2020, 02:06 PM   #26
hub1home

44 AMP, Please don't be offended by this, but after reading your post, I am wondering if you are aware that the OP bought a brand new Colt Python just recently made by Colt? Yes, Colt started making them again.
Old September 2, 2020, 02:36 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
44 AMP, Please don't be offended by this, but after reading your post, I am wondering if you are aware that the OP bought a brand new Colt Python just recently made by Colt? Yes, Colt started making them again.
https://www.colt.com/series/PYTHON_SERIES
Old September 2, 2020, 04:09 PM   #28
hub1home

Hawg, Why did you post this to my post? It s obvious in my post that I know about new pythons. I saw what you sent me many moons ago.
Old September 2, 2020, 04:20 PM   #29
HighValleyRanch

I guess I missed where the OP said that he bought a new version Colt Python, unless it was from his user name, Python 2020!LOL

I wonder if he was inspired by the movie, Blunt force trauma? Where the main character uses a Colt Python. Alot of mula for one to spend on their first gun!

An original Python is like a Ferrari, but a new one has to be tested, more like an automatic Porsche.
Old September 2, 2020, 09:11 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Hawg, Why did you post this to my post? It s obvious in my post that I know about new pythons. I saw what you sent me many moons ago.
Just backing up what you said lol. What did I send you many moons ago?
Old September 2, 2020, 11:36 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
No, I'm not offended at all. I was completely unaware that Colt was making the Python again. Is it exactly the same as it was before? Or has Colt changed some things?

Thank you for the information, i'll do some looking.
Old September 3, 2020, 10:09 PM   #32
Python2020

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and support.
@Driftwood did you post all that from a blog? Thanks it's more than thorough though I have no idea where Magnum came from?

Well, I had asked her to pull 2 boxes of .357 ammo for me when I bought the gun thinking it was the less powerful/gentler recoil... It makes sense now b/c she was trying to steer me to the .38 ammo. Ammo's also tight here; but it sounds like beginners also benefit from dry shooting drills.

Thanks for the tips; I'll make sure to ask about basic cleaning an dealing w/ jams/failures. I heard some Pythons had issues w/ various springs and it'll be good to have someone experienced check it out to let me know everything feels right!

Yeah I feel kind of sheepish having such a nice gun as a first purchase... but the situation here is it literally was the only revolver they had in stock unless I wanted to wait...
Old September 4, 2020, 04:58 AM   #33
jetinteriorguy

I know it seems a bit daunting when you first start shooting, but as long as you have the basics on safety and practice those basics diligently the rest comes pretty easy. I’ve been shooting revolvers since the late seventies and in all that time and many thousands of rounds in .22, .38sp, .357mag, and .41mag the only malfunctions I’ve encountered were from Junk getting under the ejector or the ejector rod coming a little unscrewed, both easily fixed. Just point the gun up when ejecting to keep any powder particles from getting on the ejector, or have a small rag to wipe it off if it gets something on it. If the ejector rod works itself loose a little blue loctite will fix it never to bother you again.
Old September 4, 2020, 05:09 AM   #34
Hal

Quote:
Yeah I feel kind of sheepish having such a nice gun as a first purchase
No real reason too! Think of it as an heirloom.

One thing no one has mentioned so far though - the Python isn't as robust as the S&W N frame, L frame and /or the Ruger GP 100.

Pythons have a bit of a reputation for going out of time if shot with too many magnum loads - or so I've heard.
Old September 5, 2020, 07:29 PM   #35
dgludwig

Quote:
I was completely unaware that Colt was making the Python again.
Ferrari: a great first car!
Old September 6, 2020, 12:59 PM   #36
44 AMP
Staff

Did some checking, it seems Colt began making "Pythons" again last year. However, according to an expert friend of mine who has examined 3 of them in the shop where he works, they are not exactly the Pythons of yore...

They look like Pythons on the outside, but the lockwork is not what was used on the original production guns, and he tells me that the trigger pulls, while "ok" are not the fabled great triggers that Pythons became famous for.

On the plus side, if something does go wrong with one of the "new" Pythons, Colt will almost certainly be able to fix it.
Old September 6, 2020, 06:54 PM   #37
euclid

Good for you taking classes, btw...
Old September 26, 2020, 01:06 PM   #38
OhioGuy

Congrats on the Colt. I've handled but never fired a new Python, but I sure liked what I felt in the store. I've shot their new Cobra and King Cobra models and found a lot to like about both of them. I opted for a Kimber k6s but love Colt.
Old September 26, 2020, 02:34 PM   #39
shurshot

Colt Python as your 1st gun??? Hey, you are A-ok in my book!!! Welcome!!! Enjoy your revolver!!! Should be a ton of fun shooting .38's out of it. A wise choice!!
Old September 27, 2020, 09:11 AM   #40
Sevens

Driftwood Johnson shows again what an asset to the shooting community he is, fantastic essay!

Welcome to Mr. Python2020. Do me a favor... when you get a moment, run a search for “Cooper’s Four Rules” and compare these to what your paid instruction provides. There are endless ways to teach gun safety but in my opinion (and shared by many) these four rules are the best because it’s all you need and it doesn’t get lost in a slew of over-information.

These rules overlap to protect you and others when it comes to handling and shooting firearms. Extremely valuable.

If you are the type who loves to read and learn and feed on it, check out this site:
www.corneredcat.com
It barely does justice to say that this is a wealth of information. It is a jackpot.
Old September 27, 2020, 09:46 AM   #41
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
They look like Pythons on the outside, but the lockwork is not what was used on the original production guns, and he tells me that the trigger pulls, while "ok" are not the fabled great triggers that Pythons became famous for.
Although the lockwork is new, Colt was very mindful of the "Python trigger" mystique and they went all out to make the new trigger as good as they possibly could. There are many who disagree with your friend and who think the trigger on the new Pythons is as good as the old. I have never fired an original Python so I have no basis for comparison. I have handled the new Pythons (a large number of them, in fact) at the SHOT Show, and I will opine that the trigger is head and shoulders nicer than any other revolver I have ever encountered.
Jeepaholic
Old September 27, 2020, 10:08 AM   #42
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
OK, bonus points question on the quiz.

Why was the name Magnum chosen for the new cartridge and revolver?
Come on, everyone knows that...it was named after the detective series with Tom Selleck, MAGNUM P.I.
Old September 27, 2020, 07:09 PM   #43
4V50 Gary
Staff

Lockwork reengineered to accomodate modern maufacturing technology. I suspect some parts are MIM which was first tried on the Colt MK III Troopers. While MIM has come a long way from the "sintered metal" days of the Colt MK III Troopers, it's not as durable as the old forged and mill (much more labor intensive to fit) lockwork. American Rifleman magazine had a writeup on them and had a snapshot of the lockwork. It still has a rebound lever, but reengineered. Bolt stop is more like the S&W lockwork in that it isn't reliant on the rebound lever to operate but the trigger.