The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2020, 07:29 PM   #1
bamaranger

shockwave/pistol grip shotguns have skyrocketed!!??!!

Browsing Gunbroker the other night, I was astounded to note that the Shockwave/Tac-14 and other pistol grip only shotgun prices have skyrocketed.
We are in the midst of a gun/ammo buying spree driven by current events and all demand (and accordingly prices) have jumped........I get it.

But the prices and bids I saw were abstract. Maverick 88/Moss 500 pistol griped 18" guns with 30 bids, approaching $400 in price, and several days of bidding left! Shockwave guns advertised at near $700! What is going on?

Has there been some legal speed bump that I missed, or is it simply a case of demand from folks who see these stubby guns as the ideal home gun?

Or something else?
Old July 7, 2020, 09:19 PM   #2
SHR970

Just people trying to make a few extra bucks with their tacticool toys that the average uneducated buyer thinks is the new hotness. Those pgo's have very limited use and unless you train with them you won't hit with them.
Old July 7, 2020, 11:03 PM   #3
bamaranger

use

You won't get any arguments from me regards the limited application of that breed, or the difficulty in getting hits, especially first round hits on multiple targets at varying distance. I don't need convinced.

I am thinking that one aspect of their popularity is a sort of enhanced novelty. Prior, one could not get a "shotgun" with tube that short, without the Class II paperwork and cost. Now, suddenly you can, affordably (well before crisis, anyhow).

But gee whiz, the money their bringing!
Old July 8, 2020, 12:30 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

For that kind of money, you can build a real SBS.
Approval is pretty quick on building NFA guns.
Old July 8, 2020, 03:59 PM   #5
SHR970

Quote:
bamaranger said But gee whiz, the money their bringing!
P.T. Barnum was right: A sucker is born every minute.