The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 21, 2014, 08:49 PM   #1
reynolds357

Television show "The Hunt"

Anyone watching the show that has experience hunting in Alaska or knowledge of hunting in Alaska? Some of the things on the show just strike me as odd.
Why do some of the hunters drag around the heavy barreled rifles? Hiking 8 miles up mountains and lugging a varmint contour barrel and a bench rest size scope? I just dont get it. I have a wildcat that betters the .338-378 Wby by 5% and it is an ultra light rifle with mountain rifle contour barrel. I am confident it is as accurate as any of the heavy barrel rifles shown on the tv show. I noticed that most of the rifles have brakes. It also appears that the hunters are shooting without hearing protection. There is no way I would shoot an Ultra Mag with a brake and no hearing protection. From the little I know about Brown bear hunting, there is no way I would hunt Browns with hearing protection. Just seems like the Brake would not well be suited for that type hunting.
It also amazes me that people who can not hit the broad side of a barn would spend that amount of money to go "shoot at" bear.
Old July 22, 2014, 08:17 AM   #2
eastbank

are they carrying their rifles by the barrel over their shoulder, i see that on the african hunting shows. after two trips to africa and hunting in several countries,i have never see any one doing that. i have been within 40 yards of a herd of cape buff and my rifle was in my hands ready to be shot at a seconds notice. i think all the hunting shows are just theater to make the networks and hunters(actors money). eastbank.
Old July 22, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
reynolds357

They carry them by the barrel, over their shoulder, lashed to their pack, use them like a walking stick; you name it and they do it. It is interesting to see that the professional guides definitely use the more compact rifles. I am aware that the guide is the one who has to go into the brush after the wounded bear. Most seem to have the mentality that the guide will protect them if need be.
Old July 23, 2014, 04:58 AM   #4
rightside

It did seem that a couple were trying to compensate for poor skill by buying more expensive set-ups and then getting worn out hauling them all over and blowing easy shots. I was a little embarrassed for them.
Old July 23, 2014, 03:42 PM   #5
DennisCA

I've watched it a couple of times; the last one I saw was with two very out-of-shape guys and one old guy. The quit, packed up and went home 1/2 way through their hunt - pretty lame.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:19 AM   #6
buck460XVR

It's T.V. meant to entertain the masses. There's nuttin' more to say.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:14 AM   #7
madmo44mag

Quote:
It's T.V. meant to entertain the masses. There's nuttin' more to say
Exactly!
Old July 25, 2014, 06:24 AM   #8
DPI7800

I don’t know if it is completely unrealistic to carrying a heavy barrel rifle in the field for hunting purposes. I know there are plenty of people out there that are ultra light rifle fanatics; I’m certainly not one of them. The rifle I carry in the field when I rifle hunt weighs in at 12 pounds probably putting it in the lower end of the heavy weight class of rifles used for hunting. I also subscribe to an unorthodox way of thinking when it applies to carrying equipment (guns, bows, backpacks) in the field; I say “If it is too heavy you are too weak!” Understand that phrase it what motivates me to push hard during my workouts that keep me fit for the fall hunting season.

Now I will agree there are plenty of people that go buy the cool guy gear that have no business running it due to lack of instruction, training, practice or ability. But you get that in every aspect of hunting.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My joke about doing one of my 10- or 12-mile walking hunting loops with a 9.5-pound '06 was that my right shoulder was getting a permanent sag.

Comparative elevation between home and hunting area matters: NFL players are young and healthy, but the Denver Broncos have a definite home field advantage, noticeable in the fourth quarter. I certainly noticed the difference on an elk hunt: Living at 2,500, hunting at 10,500. "There ain't any air in the air, up there!"

Those who only walk a relatively short distance to a sitting spot? Weight doesn't really matter. Still, there's little reason to tote a rifle that's heavier than need be to make its recoil tolerable.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:34 PM   #10
reynolds357

DPI, I agree that fitness is important. Having said that, the only way I could possibly maintain the fitness level I had 20 years ago would be to take anabolic steroids.
Old July 26, 2014, 12:51 AM   #11
mardanlin

Never seen the show but I shoot a 300 WBY with a break and it isn't that much louder than a 30-06. I couldn't stand to have ear plugs in while hunting. I don't think one shot a day is going to blow anyone's hearing.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Mobuck

I've taken a heavy barrel 300 Win mag (10#+ )elk hunting. Good, strong horse carried the rifle(and me) to within 50' of where I shot from.
The show is generally BS and doesn't necessarily show hunters in a advantageous light.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:52 PM   #13
reynolds357

Like most reality TV, it seems to show a little of the "best of" and lot of the "worst of." The "normal" is not entertaining.
Old July 29, 2014, 12:29 AM   #14
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I've watched it a couple of times; the last one I saw was with two very out-of-shape guys and one old guy. The quit, packed up and went home 1/2 way through their hunt - pretty lame.
I couldn't believe that either. You spend $10,000-$20,000 for a hunt, and you arrive THAT out of shape? I'm not talking being big either. I'm a big fat guy(6'3, 285), but i had no problem trekking up and down the White Mountains with a 50 lb pack on my back. Why? Because i knew i would need to do that, so i trained for it. Did those clowns not do any research?

They just seemed like they weren't interested in actually hunting(the one guy was sleeping the whole time instead of glassing), they wanted to just be put in front of a bear(similar to the safari hunt they mentioned), shoot it and have a car pick them up to take them back to camp. Seeing the old guide chew them out made me smile.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 29, 2014, 12:07 PM   #15
reynolds357

As their guide said "It is called hunting, not shopping." They thought they were going "Shopping" for a bear, but they had an old school guide who demanded they earn their bear.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:33 PM   #16
Guv

I really wondered when this married couple ran out of 2 supplies, water and ammo! The only hunting I would were hearing protection while doing would be varmint hunting, I don't varmint hunt though.
Old July 29, 2014, 09:03 PM   #17
reynolds357

Running out of ammo is stupid. Running out of water is equally stupid. How much does a bottle of military water purification tablets weigh? 2 oz, maybe. They will purify about 250 gallons. Those two brain surgeons ran out of water because they could not pack enough in when they were all around water. They ended up killing a sow.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:24 PM   #18
Jim567

I watched that show -
My jaw dropped to my chest when the guy days he is out of ammo!!
On a brown bear hunt !!!
Old July 31, 2014, 01:03 PM   #19
Deerhunter

How someone runs out of ammo on a hunt like that is beyond my comprehension. Heck I take 3 or 4 boxes of slugs with me and have them in the truck when I am hunting 15 miles from a store. I always take 2 boxes of slugs into the woods with me, when I am a short walk back to the truck. Why they wouldn't have 2 boxes per rifle on a hunt like that I will never understand.

My guess...dramatics to help sell the show, but they just look stupid
Old July 31, 2014, 06:37 PM   #20
Guv

And the husband was diabetic which apparently gets more complicated with dehydration issues.?
Old July 31, 2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Grizz12

all these responses from people how never hunted in AK, thats kinda funny...
Old July 31, 2014, 08:40 PM   #22
jeager106

Quote:
It's T.V. meant to entertain the masses. There's nuttin' more to say.

Yup.