The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 30, 2012, 10:25 AM   #26
warbirdlover

I get my hunting coats (camo blaze) from Gander. There prices (and quality) beat Cabela's. Boots came from Dick's. Everything else comes from Wally World.

Alot depends on the climate where you hunt. If it's cold (like Wisconsin) you HAVE to have a decent coat and boats (and probably pants). If you hunt in fairly warm climates you can buy it all at Wally World.

Here's the coat I use in cold Wisconsin weather....

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...C&merchID=4006

Last edited by warbirdlover; August 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old August 30, 2012, 01:31 PM   #27
Gunplummer

I went through a bad stretch a couple years ago. My hunting out fit (Winchester Blaze Orange) finally just got to the point where I could not repair it. I got over 20 years out of it and am not complaining about quality. At the time I paid a little over $100.00 dollars for the coat and pants. That was a pretty steep price back then. The first year I had it, I wondered why I suffered all those years deer hunting with 3 layers of clothes on and was still cold. The trouble started when I tried to replace it. I went to Cabela's and their outfits would not last 2 years the way we hunt. The guys on TV advertising that junk look like Girl scouts, so they probably are. I went to a Walmart and I saw Orange Woolrich on the rack. What a disappointment that was. The pockets were so thin on the coat I think in a day a box of shells would rip through them. I ended up looking until I found left over stuff not made anymore and pieced an outfit together. The lesson here is you can't buy quality hunting clothes no matter where you shop, so Wally World is O.K.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:43 PM   #28
redneck

I don't have a wall full of trophies or anything but I've had no trouble getting close to deer in my worn out old carhart bibs (black normally). I grew up raising horses and helping out local farmers so I had plenty of warm work clothes and when I started hunting thats what I wore. Hasn't been a problem yet.

Wal mart probably carries walls brand coveralls/bibs if you need a pair, or go to TSC and check out what they have. Walls and CE Schmidt are usually a little cheaper than carhartt and the quality is still good. Look for basic "work" clothes instead of paying a premium for "super sneaky hunting gear". I have a woolrich brand blaze orange vest I'm pretty happy with that I believe came from wal mart. They're stuff is reasonable for price and quality too.

Warm and water proof are my main criteria for boots. I have a pair of Justin workboots that are waterproof and have 600 grams of insulation. They're great quality and reasonably priced and I can wear them all winter for work or hunting or just being out in bad weather. I do have a pair of wolverine "hunting" boots that have camo tops and high traction cleated soles, and while they are nice enough in snow or ice, most of the time they just drag an extra 10lbs of mud with me and I opt to wear something different.
Old August 31, 2012, 12:35 AM   #29
sc928porsche

My favorite hunting boots are Military Surplus Jungle Boots. Light weight, easy on the feet, and good traction. I use scotch guard to keep them water resistant.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:48 PM   #30
kraigwy

Sounds like your hunting instructors must work for one of the big sporting goods outfits.

I just use what ever I happen to have, don't have any special hunting cloths with the exception of some hunter orange vest.

Boots is the same boots I wear ever day made by Justin. aka cowboy boots.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 2, 2012, 10:14 PM   #31
farmerboy

agree with kraigwy, normal everyday clothes. I was one back in the day that used unscented soap to bath with, took clorophyll tablets for human scent, let camo hang in the woods 1-2 days before hunting and had to camo from head to toe with face paint and most times use masking scent (raccoon, skunk, etc) or natural vanilla. Sure I shot plenty of deer and Im sure the stores loved seeing me coming too. Now plenty years later I go however but you just have to be extra still and play the wind if hunting in cover. The number one important thing is to have rifle sighted or plenty practice with a bow.
Old September 3, 2012, 01:02 PM   #32
rightside

"Of course it may be pink".........

If you go this route....BUY good RUNNING shoes!!
Old September 3, 2012, 01:34 PM   #33
rickyjames

walmart hunting gear and clothing works for me. they usually expand their hunting clothing line before the season and mark it down quickly as the season ends. the only problem might be that even when they "expand" their clothing line they still amy not have everything you want. what they do have works as well as anything any other store sells.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:39 PM   #34
cmoulton

If it wasnt for walmart this hunter would be hunting naked...
Old September 4, 2012, 04:18 AM   #35
giaquir

Dress, your upper torso in loose layers,
one of which has a hood.
Wear loose fitting wool pants and insul underwear.
Carry a day back with extra stockings and leather mittens.
a few cheap "shake and bake"heating pads.

One other thing, there is no such thing as a casual hunt.
ron
Old September 4, 2012, 08:04 AM   #36
SPEMack618

Dress in layers, doesn't mattr much wear the layrs come from.

I've got a closet full of various camo shirts that generally came from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or the LGS. The only piece of actual hunting gear I have are my waders.

I have one old fraternity t-shirt that I refuse to hunt without.

However, that being said, the one thing I don't skip on is boots.

Save up and buy yourself a good pair of boots. Merrell is a good brand and what I wear.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:31 AM   #37
Rifleman1776

Some people simply have a hate for Wal-Mart for no logical reason. Their products are as good as any at very competitive prices.
I have 30-40 year old hunting gear from WM that is still going strong.
I can see little difference between an $80.00 hunting coat from WM and a similar one from Bass Pro Shop for $199.00.
If it is not up to your standards, WM will take it back. That can't be beat for comsumer confidence.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:15 AM   #38
L_Killkenny

These instructors are a fine example of why so many classes can be a waste of time. Too much time spent on opinion and not enough on fact. I've owned and worn more than my share of Walmart hunting clothes. In that time the biggest problem I've found with going cheap and frugal is that it can bite you in the rear when it comes to durability and quality. Go figure, hunting clothes aren't much different than everything else in the world, you get what you pay for more times than not (but not always). I'm not saying to buy Walmart stuff or not to buy Walmart stuff, buy what you want and can afford. But keep in mind, hunting specific camo clothes may be one of the biggest scams for the outdoor enthusiast. Right up there with those infomercial fishing lures that guarantee you catch fish with every cast in a dry lake. Better clothes can generally be bought for the same money or less if you toss out the your need/want for camo. For the Frugal outdoorsman second hand shops are your friend.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:27 AM   #39
kraigwy

Quote:
These instructors are a fine example of why so many classes can be a waste of time. Too much time spent on opinion and not enough on fact.
Amen to that.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 5, 2012, 09:11 AM   #40
Rifleman1776

nice surprise

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and decided to check out their newly stocked hunting gear.
I found a really great camo hunting coat priced at $29.00. I don't need another one but almost bought it because it is such a bargain. I have not doubt a comparable coat at Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's would be near $200.00.
I do reccomend, at least, checking out their offerings before going to another vendor.
Old September 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #41
Deja vu

As far as most clothing I would get what ever... id go cheep. The exception is boots if you plan to walk hunt. If you are jut sitting in a blind then you can skimp on the boots too.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 5, 2012, 10:22 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

I have the lightest pair of scentlock overalls i could find. No matter the season i dress as needed then throw those on top. They were just under $100 on sale from cabelas.

I am not sure they work all that well. I would likely just buy regular overalls of the cheepest variety if i had it to do over.

As far as scent, the smartest hunter I know just wears a cheap undershirt for a weekend working outside then ties it to his deer stand. The deer get used to it before season starts.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:09 PM   #43
dyl

Thanks for the replies- I've been "away" because i now have a muzzle-loader. A tc impact. It is much more enjoyable to shop and research a firearm than clothes isn't it? I appreciate the responses. Walmart is now full of camo clothes and there is a Goodwill just down the street from it. But as you all suggested the importance of them, I think I'll look up boots next. I found some used military boots that supposedly aren't available to civilians but something didn't sit well with buying a nOn-insulated used soldier's boot soaked with who knows what from the Middle East to hunt in...
Old September 10, 2012, 07:02 AM   #44
shafter

Where will you be hunting? If it's cold you will want to take that into consideration. I do most of my hunting in Maine and I prefer Johnson wool pants and jacket in dark green. Cabelas 8-Point boots work really good at keeping out the cold. If you go with wool make sure you layer. Wool doesn't cut the wind very well.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:47 AM   #45
1tfl

IMHO two critical items are boots and outter wear.
Outter wear is usually a jacket and I think it is as critical as a good boot.

I want my boot and jacket to fit well and be comfortable for long hunts. I want them both to be waterproof (not water resistanat) and breath to let out sweat to keep me dry.

I would not think twice about paying $200 for a good boot or good outter wear as they will last for many years.
Old September 24, 2012, 05:32 AM   #46
Countertop

Maybe it's a regional thing, but Im always shocked on the brands/stores that come up on these kinds of internet discussions and never include mention of LL Bean, which not only sells some of the toughest, most fantastic Hunting and outdoor clothing anywhere (the wilderness of Maine is every bit the equal of Alaska - I've been a 10 day hike removed from a road crossing there), but their prices are fair (indeed often times much much better than anywhere else), and they stand 100% behind their product.

It doesn't matter how old it is. In what shape it is. What you did to it. If it fails you (ie: if the seam on your 25 year old daily boots breaks) they will repair or replace it no questions asked.

Only brand I would ever swear by is LL Bean.

I've worn their duck boots, the greater hunting shoe ever, nearly my hole life. Upland, I wear their upland hunting/hiking boots. Both pairs of boota I have from there are 20+ year old and still going strong (I also have a pair of Merrell Wilerderness off piste hiking boots that are bomb proof which I our got from LL Bean but they are overkill in 99% of situations, sadly Merrell Boots today are a distant relation to what they once where).

I'd strongly urge you to get their hunting catalog or check out their web page.

You won't see much in the latest sucker camo fashions or BS scent control technology that cabelas tries to waste your money on, but you see everything you actually need.

As far as Wal mart goes, the others are mostly spot on. Don't get boots there. Anything else is fine, in nearly 90% of situations you find yourself in hunting in. Some may wear out sooner than others, some may fail utterly, but that's all part of the learning experience.

I have a couple pairs of dickey jeans from Wal mart I wear hunting a lot. I pick up random other stuff there. Some local stores carry better selections than others. But at the end of the day the only way to know what you want, what you need, and the reliability and durability of that is by your own experience.
Old September 24, 2012, 02:57 PM   #47
dyl

Got some boots!

I ended up getting some Intermediate Cold Weather military boots with Gore-tex built into the boot and also the Gore-tex liner included. I'm breaking them in now - they're pretty warm and dry.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:23 AM   #48
HiBC

Well,lot of good info,but where are you hunting,and what time of year?Where I live,winter starts to show up during hunting season.I suggest researching the weather conditions you will enjoy.

A lot of the fine clothing mentioned is not so good if it gets wet.

If you are hunting a place that gets cold,and you need to go low-buck,there are some european military surplus wool pants that are a bargain.If you do not have a local surplus store,look to Cheaper Than Dirt.Even the US Army class"A" pants represent a lighter weight pair of wool pants of good,durable construction.You can also find good wool dress pants ,like from a suit,at Goodwill.A fellow named Harry Roberts used to be the editor of Wilderness Camping magazine,wrote a couple books about winter camping and gearing up."Moving Out" and "Moving On".He describes converting wool dress pants to mountaineering pants.Wool is still warm when wet,dries fast,and is very quiet.

The brown GI polypro underwear is great! Cheap,too.If you can find the green elastic figure 8,across the back suspenders,GI,they are pretty good.If you can find the rivet-on metal buttons from Duluth or Carhart,you can set your britches up for some serious button in suspenders.

I have to go with good,heavy merino wool sox.Not cheap!! but good,oh,check Sierra Trading Post catalogue,Cheyenne,Wyo.

Somehow,have something you can sit on that will keep your butt dry.I have a square of the close cell foam camp mattress.You can use a folded GI poncho,

Last time I went,we backpacked up to 8000 ft plus in the Flat Tops Wilderness in Colorado.I'll try to post a pic of our camp later,but we had a blizzard with lightning on top of us all night,snow higher than my knees in the morning.It was dry pine needles the day before.

Some scenarios,its no big deal,wear anything.If you go to remote high country,it matters.

Good luck! elk hunt e 028.jpg

That pic is me.As I said,dry ground the night before.My two brothers and I back packed up there.We had planned horses,but the friend who was to be our wrangler had chemotherapy to deal with.We did fine,but,given our resources were quite limited,keeping dry was a big deal

Last edited by HiBC; September 26, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old September 26, 2012, 03:20 PM   #49
jimbob86

Quote:
Wool is still warm when wet,dries fast,and is very quiet.
IME, also very itchy. Itchy= not conducive to sitting still.

USGI PolyPro long johns= GOLD.

Merino wool socks are worth the money if it is cold out. Regular GI green wool blend cushion sole socks if it is not.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:48 PM   #50
dyl

Thanks again hunters,

Muzzleloader and firearm start in November, firearm goes til January 5th so I suspect it might get a little chilly. I don't think it snows much in this area though, central VA.

I'm having a Heck of a time finding military camo wool pants. I did see the east/west German surplus and they look like a good deal but I wish they were in a dark color rather than gray. I was considering wool overalls in a dark brown camo I saw for ~$30. I also considered standard camo military pants but they were all in cotton even if they were "tweed" or "ripstop".

I'll check out the latest suggestions you've sent my way, thanks!
Closed Thread