The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 18, 2020, 03:17 PM   #1
doofus47

PSA: my Savage 99 in 308 likes the Barnes Vortex 168gr TTSX

out to 200 yards.
Just in case any one was wondering about whether their Savage 99s would shoot non-lead projectiles.
I was about 2" high at 100 yards and 1" high at 200 yards shooting with a fixed 4x scope.

d47
Old October 19, 2020, 01:15 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The brand and model of rifle has nothing to do with bullet construction. Anyway, the group's consistency is what's important.
Barnes says a 168 sighted in 2" at 200 should be 8.4" low at 300. A lead cored bullet sighted in ~ 3" high at 100 will be on target at 300. Solid copper bullets aren't as dense.
Old November 12, 2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

huh? Pretty much all firearms will shoot non lead projectiles. How high or low the bullet hits has nothing to do with whether a gun likes a bullet or not. The rounds might be loaded hotter, causing it to hit high, or the bullet might cut the wind better, higher BC causing it to hit higher, Neither have to do with whether or not the gun likes it. The real question for me would be whether or not the rounds group well. I will typically shoot a couple fouling shots before testing a new ammo. For the new ammo I shoot a full 20rnd box, 4 groups of 5rnds each and average the groups to get the accuracy for that ammo out of that gun.