The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 27, 2020, 12:04 PM   #1
Nannookofthenorth

Double duty rifle

I want a double duty rifle for target shooting up to 600yrds and deer hunting in northern NY. I’m pretty stuck on deciding between the new Springfield Armory waypoint rifle or the Bergara wilderness ridge rifle. I know there’s not much out there on the waypoint rifle for people to have experience with, more thoughts on the concept. Any input is appreciated.
Old October 27, 2020, 01:16 PM   #2
jmr40

I've had a couple of Bergara's. A B14 Hunter in 6.5 CM and a Ridge in 308. The 6.5 was acceptably accurate, but no more so than several others costing much less. For about 1/2 the money my Ruger American Predator and for about $100 less my Tikka T3 were both slightly more accurate. I was never able to get the Ridge in 308 to shoot up to my standards. I eventually let both go.

Only time will tell about the Springfield.

If I were buying a rifle to meet your specs I'd go with a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. They offer it with 20" and 24" barrels. For anything under 1000 yards the 20" barrel is plenty. Street price is about $1000 in blue, $1100 in SS.

https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/tikka/t3....5%20Creedmoor

Winston Churchill
Old October 27, 2020, 01:41 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...for target shooting up to 600yrds..." Serious competitive target shooting or because it's so much fun? The former requires a different rifle that's usually too heavy to lug on a deer hunt.
There seems to be a shortage of ammo and brass Stateside. So find that first.
At 6 or 7 pounds, the Springfield Waypoint rifle is kind of light for serious target shooting. Be a decent hunting rifle though.
The Bergara Wilderness Ridge is primarily an 8ish pound hunting rifle.
None of that should deter you from using either one out to 600 though. Assuming you're reloading, either in .308 with 168 grain match bullets for targets and 165 grain hunting bullets for deer will do nicely.
Very big difference in MSRP though. The Springfield is considerably more money.
Old October 27, 2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Nannookofthenorth

Definitely a price difference. With a discount I should be able to get the SA for about 1300, looks like the bergara is running about 800 currently. Mostly a hunting rifle, man sized steel at 600 is all im looking for. I know the bergara is well documented, I’m just wondering how at first glance, the Springfield compares to it. If it’s worth the extra cost or thoughts on it in general.
Old October 27, 2020, 04:34 PM   #5
jackstrawIII

The Springfield is a “new” action, which to me makes it less desirable than something proven like the Bergara, which is basically a Rem 700 action. Not my fav, but proven.

Bergara for me, if I had to choose between the two.
Old October 27, 2020, 11:44 PM   #6
bamaranger

Ruger Predator

I am constantly amazed at the Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM that Bamaboy has recently acquired. With Hornady 140 (?) gr ELD match ammo, it shoots consistently good groups and will ring steel out to 800 with ease. He added a MagPul stock, but the factory green poly stock is conventional and would serve well if used as a hunter.

Scoping the rifle would be the next issue, but with its factory rail and low initial cost, one could somewhat affordably run two different optics with QD rings, one for the range (parallax adjustable w/ external turrets and a bit more X power) and another down the sporter line like 4-12x.

The American family has had some magazine issues and I think Ruger has redesigned the factory mag and new rifles ship with a magazine with a more conventional follower (I think, not sure). My new 18.5" Predator in .308 has a standard follower in its mag, and the older Ruger American mags with the flappy innards will lock and function as well. Ruger will also sell you an affordable adapter that will allow the use of the 10 rd ACIS magazine.
Old October 29, 2020, 11:27 PM   #7
Andy1

Target shooting to 600 yards or deer hunting in upstate NY don't require rapid fire. You don't state what your budget is, but you can get yourself an awesome Winchester 1885 in any number of cartridges. 264 Win Mag, 6.5CM, 6.5 PRC, .270.Win, .270 WSM, 300 PRC, 300 WSM, 28 Nosler.
Old October 30, 2020, 05:48 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

If your hunting from a stand so carry weight isn’t so crucial, I’d suggest something with a predator profile barrel. Heavy enough for the longer range but plenty manageable from a stand. Put on a comfy sling to carry it back and forth and your good to go.

Last edited by jetinteriorguy; October 30, 2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old October 30, 2020, 09:30 AM   #9
Polinese

If you can find one the winchester model 70 coyote rifle might do the trick. Medium contour fluted barrel. Should let you do a little target shooting but not be too heavy to lug around in the woods.

Never seemed to be many of them produced though.
Old November 1, 2020, 02:48 PM   #10
hounddog409

I have a wilderness Terrain in 308.

It is an awesome rifle all around. Can't imagine getting more forntour money.

Is the springfield Cerekote? That is a huge plus for bad weather.
Old November 2, 2020, 06:15 AM   #11
shurshot

A well built bolt action .270 with a decent scope is hard to beat in the lower 48. Remington 700, Ruger, Winchester, etc.
Old November 2, 2020, 04:29 PM   #12
paknheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polinese View Post
If you can find one the winchester model 70 coyote rifle might do the trick. Medium contour fluted barrel. Should let you do a little target shooting but not be too heavy to lug around in the woods.

Never seemed to be many of them produced though.

I sure wanted one of those back in the day, in .270 WSM. Between kids needing stuff & keeping the vehicles running I never got one.

The one I zapped a big feral hog with was really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 2, 2020, 09:11 PM   #13
JustJake

Quote:
I want a double duty rifle for target shooting up to 600yrds and deer hunting in northern NY.
Are folks still allowed to do either activity in upstate N.Y.?

Old November 2, 2020, 09:13 PM   #14
Polinese

Upstate NY is occupied mosty by actual americans, not the legal americans that inhabit the southern area of the state.
Old November 3, 2020, 06:57 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Once you get away from the cities New Yorkers are pretty darn good people, very conservative. But then this seems to hold true no matter where you are.
Old November 3, 2020, 07:10 PM   #16
Polinese

Very true statement
Old November 5, 2020, 02:42 PM   #17
mrt949

My triple duty Marlin 1894 CSBL 16.6 Stainless 357.MAG lever action .
RANGE ,HUNTING And HOME .
Old November 6, 2020, 03:35 PM   #18
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Are folks still allowed to do either activity in upstate N.Y.?
NY gets a bad wrap from folks in more "conservative states", but contrary to popular belief, like 80% of the counties in NY vote red... for what that's worth. Hunting & shooting culture is very much alive and well here. There are military vets in every community. Etc.

I've even had multiple online firearms retailers refuse to sell me items that are clearly legal for me to own, in order to "make a point" because I live here. As a NY'er, this obviously bothers me.

Anyways, rant over. OP, have you chosen your gun yet?

Last edited by jackstrawIII; November 7, 2020 at 10:22 AM.