The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 3, 2013, 06:04 AM   #1
rajbcpa

George: "I used a 9mm hollow point"

During the video taped interview by cops at the scene which was shown at the trial and televised, George Zimmerman says his firearm was loaded with 9MM hollow point projectiles.

The autopsy report shows that the bullet fragmented into at least two pieces.

Apparently, the hollow point round was ultimately effective, but Trevon replied after he was shot, "OK - you got me." So, according to Zimmerman, Trevon lived for a time after the direct shot to the heart at near point blank range.

Based on this, I am assuming that the 9mm is probably not a good choice for self defense in concealed carry situations. Based on this, I'm not real comfortable with 9MM but these guns tend to be small enough for pocket carry. I would NEVER use the 9mm for home defense - way too light; right?

Frankly, the 40S&W is a much better choice for concealed carry.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:35 AM   #2
MTSCMike

Any shot other than a Central Nervous System hit has the potential to lack an immediate incapacitating effect regardless of caliber. It is not prudent to base a performance opinion on a single incident. The conclusion may be valid but a larger sample is required to confirm that.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Skarekrow88

Quote:
Based on this, I am assuming that the 9mm is probably not a good choice for self defense in concealed carry situations. Based on this, I'm not real comfortable with 9MM but these guns tend to be small enough for pocket carry. I would NEVER use the 9mm for home defense - way too light; right?

Personally, I am inclined to agree with you, but I think you'll soon see that not everyone will. I do not own a 9mm nor do I care to. The smallest caliber I own is a .380 and that is a backup/gym-shorts gun only. My work, ccw, and nightstand guns are all .45's.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Johannes_Paulsen

Purpose of civilian defensive shooting is not to kill, but to stop the attack. Assuming Zimmerman's story is correct, did the round accomplish that goal?
Old July 3, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
dahermit

Only in the movies does someone die instantly from being shot with a handgun, and even more ridicules, being stabbed or hit with a thrown knife. That is just Hollywood nonsense.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:43 AM   #6
johnelmore

This is a topic we have collectively agreed not to discuss until after the prosecution has rested and then only to discuss the facts. Lets abide by that agreement.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Onward Allusion

Naw, we need .50 BMG for home defense!
Old July 3, 2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:

Based on real life shootings, the 40 S&W does not perform any better than the 9mm from a statistical perspective. People have been shot in the heart with rifles and shotguns and still managed long enough to try to harm other people. Would you then argue that rifles and shotguns probably are not good for self defense?

Certainly a lot of us know from direct experience in hunting that shooting deer and hogs through the heart with significant caliber rifles results in an animal that runs off for the last few seconds of its life. Part of the reason is that the heart does not necessary hold a person together. As soon as the blood stops flowing, they still have a few seconds of time in which the oxygenated blood in their brain continues to feed the brain. That is a biological fact. Until that blood drains from the brain or the oxygen is used from it, the person may continue to function, if for just a matter of seconds.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?i...1#.UdQiUU4o45s

What MTSCMike said is basically right. You have to hit the CNS to get instant incapacitation with any assuredness, but even then all sorts of people manage to get shot in the head and survive. Not only must you hit the CNS, but you must cause sufficient damage that the CNS ceases to function properly.
Old July 3, 2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Slopemeno

You're going to make a decision based on one event?
Old July 3, 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Fishbed77

The OP's logic is flawed. Methinks he has been watching too many movies or TV shows where everyone dies instantly from gunshot wounds.

My cousin in the local sheriff's department recounted a recent event where a homeowner fired a .45ACP hollow-point at near point-blank range into the heart of a home invader. The criminal not only continued the attack for a few moments, he then turned and ran some 40 yards before he collapsed. He was still alive when the sheriff's department arrived.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
skoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
Based on this, I am assuming that the 9mm is probably not a good choice for self defense in concealed carry situations. Based on this, I'm not real comfortable with 9MM but these guns tend to be small enough for pocket carry.
Based on that, it appeared to effectively end the struggle.

Quote:
I would NEVER use the 9mm for home defense - way too light; right?
No, it isn't.

Quote:
Use what you're comfortable with.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

That is hilarious..lol

OP, stick around a little longer brother. Nothing is what it seems and they're arguments on both sides to help and hurt any caliber or anything period. In the end it's all moot.

9mm, .40 , .45 are all minuscule differences with modern JHP's.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:25 AM   #13
overhead

Quote:
During the video taped interview by cops at the scene which was shown at the trial and televised, George Zimmerman says his firearm was loaded with 9MM hollow point projectiles.

The autopsy report shows that the bullet fragmented into at least two pieces.

Apparently, the hollow point round was ultimately effective, but Trevon replied after he was shot, "OK - you got me." So, according to Zimmerman, Trevon lived for a time after the direct shot to the heart at near point blank range.

Drawing a conclusion like this from one event is probably not very wise. But out of curiosity, what type of result would be acceptable to you in this situation?

I am sure this video has been posted here before, I found it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA
Old July 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #14
pax

Closed.

pax
Old July 3, 2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Frank Ettin
Staff

The reasons it's closed and will stay closed are that this is a (1) common topic; and (2) there's never any good resolution.

Here are links to some recent threads here were caliber choice for self defense was been discussed extensively and in detail. In those threads you will also find references to other resources on the subject.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508466

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505180

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501875
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; July 4, 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: fix grammar
Closed Thread