The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 27, 2020, 09:15 PM   #1
hounddog409

TIKKA T3X CTR vs. BERGARA B14 HMR

Trying to decide between these 2 rifles.

Both reportedly solid, accurate rifles.

I'd you had the decide between these two, with no mods,
Which do you chose and why?
Old July 27, 2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Double K

Bergara is basically a Spanish copy of a 700 Remington, started by a couple of retired American soldiers, why they don't make them here is a mystery unless it's economic related.
Tikka and Sako are basically the same company since 1981, Tikka has been around since 1898-102yrs, they might as well have invented the bolt action rifle.
I like Tikka's and Sako's, have both of them.
I've had-still have many 700 remington's
I'm leery of anything made in Spain other than food and Latino women, some of the best in the world!
My experience with Spanish made guns is limited to AYA shotguns and Gamo air rifles, some of the shotguns are really good, others not so much. Gamo is absolute crap compared to every other airgun mfg in the world including some of the Chinese guns.
I'll fall back on my theory that if a country can't produce a viable car for the international market is says something about their inability to manufacture good mechanical products. Think about that, Germans, Swedes, Italians, English, Japanese and Americans all make really great cars and guns.

Last edited by Double K; July 27, 2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old July 28, 2020, 05:42 AM   #3
stagpanther

I have two Bergara-made guns and they are outstanding quality at their price points IMO. Same is true for tikka though, tough choice. Bergara seems to be more "modern cutting edge" in their approach. Tough dilemma !
Old July 28, 2020, 07:06 AM   #4
jmr40

Quote:
why they don't make them here is a mystery unless it's economic related.
Some are made in Lawrenceville GA. Some in Spain, it depends on which model.

I've had 2 Bergara's, a B14 Hunter in 6.5 CM and a B14 Ridge in 308. The Hunter is acceptably accurate, but my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 is more accurate and cost 1/2 as much.

The Ridge in 308 I finally gave up on. I could never get it to shoot up to my standards. For a lot of people it was acceptable as a hunting rifle, about 1.5 MOA, but I can do better than that with a lot of other rifles. I traded for this and it is way more accurate.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26993.html

Street price is around $650.

I also have a CTR and several other Tikka's. Every one has been exceptional.

I haven't had the Ruger with factory MagPul stock long enough to have strong opinions either way. But I've owned and shot enough of the $350 Predator versions to know they all shoot. This is a new version, in fact mine is the only one I've seen so far. But so far it is matching the Tikka for accuracy. At almost 1/2 the price. It uses the same magazines as the Bergara HMR which are almost 1/3 the cost of CTR magazines.

Winston Churchill
Old July 28, 2020, 12:15 PM   #5
hounddog409

Well, Begala has been making someone the finest barels for quite some time, used by many firearm manufacturers.
Old July 28, 2020, 12:45 PM   #6
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
Well, Begala has been making someone the finest barels for quite some time, used by many firearm manufacturers.
That's been there claim ever since they came to the American marketplace, Sportsman's Warehouse are there big retailer around here.
I've tried to find out what rifle companies use their barrels and what shooting competitions have been won using their barrels, does anyone know?
Old July 28, 2020, 07:10 PM   #7
Scorch

Bergara barrels are used by TC in their rifles. They shoot acceptably well. Their barrels are better than most factory barrels, maybe as good as some of the lower priced aftermarket barrels.
Old July 28, 2020, 07:54 PM   #8
603Country

I have a Tikka and I set up and loaded for my brother’s Bergara. Both shoot great. After all that handling and shooting, I prefer the Tikka. Part of the preference might be that the Bergara is a Remington 700 by another name, and I was never super fond of the Rem 700, though I have no actual complaints or dislikes to mention. I used one and reloaded for it for years.
Old July 28, 2020, 08:18 PM   #9
Double K

I love 700's because of all the aftermarket parts but their barrels are hit and miss, many are fantastic but there are a few that should have never left the factory, more than there should be.
Old July 28, 2020, 09:04 PM   #10
hounddog409

Keep 'em coming.

I'm thinking right now, the Begera has the edge in the stock. Cheaper mags. More aftermarket triggers.

I would think the Sako and Begera barrels are a wash.

Tikka may have slight edge with their action.

Weight depends on use, so a wash. As is price.
Neither countries manufacture a car, so another wash.
Lol.

Tikka has more time with good reviews as a rifle builder.

Very tough call. Thinking I'm leaning Bergara at this point, but no decision yet.
Old July 29, 2020, 06:35 AM   #11
stagpanther

If they don't make cars--then the next qualifier would be their booze--who makes the best liquor?
Old July 29, 2020, 10:49 AM   #12
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
I've tried to find out what rifle companies use their barrels and what shooting competitions have been won using their barrels, does anyone know?
Do a search for "Benchrest match results" then see what barrels are used. Post a link to any one listing a Begera barrel. For example...

https://internationalbenchrest.com/r...-match-results

https://www.nbrsa.org/short-range-group-match-results/
Old July 29, 2020, 10:57 AM   #13
stagpanther

My opinion is based on the spectacular CVA paramount which is largely made by begara.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ight=paramount
Old July 29, 2020, 02:04 PM   #14
hounddog409

I didn't see any info on equipment used on those links..but would be interesting.

As for factory rifles, that info will be hard to come by.

According to what I found...

"non-disclosure agreement with the company in question would not confirm it.

“Most [gun owners] would be surprised to learn who we supply with barrels,” he said."

Dang lawyers.
Old July 29, 2020, 02:18 PM   #15
Bart B.

Quote:
I didn't see any info on equipment used on those links..but would be interesting.
Click on "Equipment List" in:

https://www.nbrsa.org/cactus-classic-results-2019/

Look in the "Barrel" column
Old July 29, 2020, 05:24 PM   #16
Double K

Quote:
Keep 'em coming.

I'm thinking right now, the Begera has the edge in the stock. Cheaper mags. More aftermarket triggers.

I would think the Sako and Begera barrels are a wash.

Tikka may have slight edge with their action.

Weight depends on use, so a wash. As is price.
Neither countries manufacture a car, so another wash.
Lol.

Tikka has more time with good reviews as a rifle builder.

Very tough call. Thinking I'm leaning Bergara at this point, but no decision yet.
Ever heard of Volvo? Fantastic cars, over the road trucks and heavy equipment. Before you say there's a difference between Finland and Sweden here's the inside scoop, most people have dual citizenship, there's not many people in Finland consequently many Swede's commute to Finland to work and vice versa. Finland and Sweden is akin to Colorado and Wyoming. One of my best friends is Finnish but he lives and works in Gephardt Sweden.
Old July 29, 2020, 07:19 PM   #17
hounddog409

Been to Sweden many times for work.
There is no love lost between citizens of those 2 countries. I talk to Sweden colleagues weekly.

You cannot claim Volvo for Finland. That would be a brawl in any pub in Vasteras or Malmo.
Old July 29, 2020, 07:24 PM   #18
Double K

Quote:
Been to Sweden many times for work.
There is no love lost between citizens of those 2 countries. I talk to Sweden colleagues weekly.

You cannot claim Volvo for Finland. That would be a brawl in any pub in Vasteras or Malmo.
Just like Colorado and Wyoming!
Old July 29, 2020, 09:36 PM   #19
Crooked Creek

Don't think you're going to find Bergara barrels in any equipment list match results, for top end matches, being used by serious benchrest competitors in custom classes. Perhaps one might show up in a factory class hunter rifle match. They are simply not in the same league as the ones that show up in those equipment lists, and there is far too much at stake in those competitions to take such a risk. Those guys are not interested in shaving a few dollars off of the cost of their equipment.
Old July 30, 2020, 12:08 PM   #20
hdbiker

I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Win.10 or so years ago. The slick bold is what sold me. The rifle is scary accurate. Not crazy about the plastic mags but they have work well. I bought a extra 4 round mag that cost me 65 bucks. hdbiker
Old August 1, 2020, 07:39 PM   #21
hounddog409

Well. For those than replied. Thanks for the input.

I went with Bergara. I found a new B14 Wilderness Terrain online for 999. Step up from the B14 with better trigger, mini chassis, and cerekote finish.

Will review once I get it and put some rounds down range.