The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2022, 11:47 AM   #26
BigJimP

Let's be honest and understand that "marketing" sells a lot of guns...

Is Kimber overpriced - No, not if they are still selling a lot of guns ( and they are ).

Is it the best "value" - you have to answer that with your own budget ...( for me no )...

Is Kimber one of the top 5 mfg's of 1911's - in my opinion no ....( but in my view the top 2 mfg's are clearly Wilson Combat and Ed Brown ...and then the rest of the top 10 gets a little muddy ...)...

Bottom line buy what you can afford - and what you like. I have a couple of Kimbers...are they the best guns in my safe - no ...are they terrible no ( but I have had most of the internals in both guns replaced with parts from Wilson Combat ...to make them run and have better triggers - which are both key issues in my view.
Old January 7, 2022, 02:26 PM   #27
the45er

You most likely have to do these things or something at least to any sub 1000.00 pistol.

I see similar comments on gun forms quite a bit. I personally own 13 1911 style pistols, and all of them except possibly one (a Colt) cost less than $1000 new. I have a Taurus that you really have to grip hard to make sure the grip safety is depressed and one of my Springfield Armory 1911's had a stove-piping issue that they quickly addressed. Other than these two relatively minor hiccups, they all shoot well and dependably, including my Kimber Ultra Carry II in 45 ACP.

I'm in the process of trading a mint black Colt 1911 A1 for a mint Kimber Raptor II, both in 45 ACP. Disappointed to hear Kimber only warranties original owners, but I'm still considering the trade. (I will keep one Colt in my collection).

Have I been lucky or am I just not that picky when it comes to gun performance?
Old January 7, 2022, 09:21 PM   #28
John D

I have Kimbers in .45 and 10mm. Both run great - haven't had the issues that people like to cite. I don't know why gun people need to run down other makers...if people are happy with their guns, why is there a need to chime in with "my buddy had a XXX and it was a jam-o-matic". Sounds a lot like Chevy & Ford owners who think the other make is a piece of crap.....come on, guys!
Old January 8, 2022, 09:07 AM   #29
JustJake

Quote:
You most likely have to do these things or something at least to any sub-$1000.00 [1911] pistol.
There, ... I just helped you say the quiet, embarrassing part out loud.

Finicky, hicuppy, sub-$1K 1911s are why Glocks exist. A lot less $$$ invested for a near-100% reliability return across all models and chamberings.

Quote:
[b]* * * I'm in the process of trading a mint black Colt 1911 A1 for a mint Kimber Raptor II, both in 45 ACP. Disappointed to hear Kimber only warranties original owners, but I'm still considering the trade. (I will keep one Colt in my collection).
No, just no. Keep all your Colts.

Quote:
Have I been lucky or am I just not that picky when it comes to gun performance?
If you're trading away Colts for Kimbers, I've got a heck of a used car deal for ya ...

Old January 8, 2022, 09:46 AM   #30
BornFighting88

I don’t find Kimber to be overpriced. The quality I have seen with their pistols is very good for the prices I’ve paid. My full sized Stainless II was $900 back in 2009, and it was skin and bone stock. But just a tiny bit of break in needed. Fit and finish were superior, easily worth twice the money in my eyes. Then the Officer’s model was $650, lightly used, like less than a box of rounds through it.

I would do it all over again, hands down. Just my $0.02.
Old January 8, 2022, 11:31 AM   #31
Reloadron

Quote:
Kimber. Overpriced?
Cheap is expensive.
Have .45 ACP Kimber stainless II and Custom II. Both came out of the box and started dropping dimes, center target, 7 yards. Broke them in at about 400 rds. Then starts the conversation: "They are overpriced.""I could have bought 2 (fill in the blank with ur favorite manufacturer)."
Any thoughts?
Yes, my thoughts are simple on this. Any gun on any given day be it new or used is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, no more and certainly no less. The very two best 1911 .45 ACP pistols are the one I just sold ad the one I just bought.

All that really matters is if you are happy with your guns. My own personal view of your choice in guns matters not. We know what can be said about opinions anyway.

The 1911 design much like the AR15 design is currently being marketed by countless manufactures. Some very good while some leave quality to be desired. You can put lipstick on a pig but ... you get the idea. However, if you are happy with your pig that's all that matters.

Enjoy your guns...
Ron
Old January 8, 2022, 12:46 PM   #32
SFW

I have around 15k rounds through my Kimber Custom II. It has never so much as hiccuped. It eats ball and hollow points just the same. The only think I really didi was throw away the trash magazine that Kimber sends out. There is a lot of Kimber hate on the inter webs. If you like it, shoot it. If not, sell it and move on.
Old January 8, 2022, 01:01 PM   #33
Pahoo

Common Sense Buying and won't "bash" on price.

If I want it and the price is right; I buy it.
If I don't like or want it; I leave it for someone else.
If I really don't want it and can steal it; I buy it.

Regardless I never look back or live with regrets. .....
I have made money selling or broke even but so far I have never lost money. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 8, 2022, 01:16 PM   #34
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
If I want it and the price is right; I buy it.
If I don't like or want it; I leave it for someone else.
If I really don't want it and can steal it; I buy it.

Regardless I never look back or live with regrets. .....
I have made money selling or broke even but so far I have never lost money. ..

Be Safe !!!
So much this!!!
Old January 10, 2022, 06:38 PM   #35
The Happy kaboomer

IF you like them PAY NO ATTENTION to others.........I have 2 for about 20 years. A Custom Classic and a commander sized CQB. No problems with either..........Personally I never care or worry about other people's opinions of my guns........Never second guess yourself!
Old January 11, 2022, 01:27 PM   #36
L. Boscoe

Kimber. Overpriced?

Guns are a lot like pianos. If they play well, who cares what you paid for it?
Guns also last a long time, and inflation will be with us forever. If you are
happy with it, why worry about what someone else thinks or says?
Old January 11, 2022, 05:12 PM   #37
Ruger45LC

I say yes. I've had my share of Kimbers and the only real difference between the cheaper ones and the pricier ones was finish and sights. I don't think Kimbers are "bad" but they are definitely overpriced considering the amount of mediocrity and MIM parts you get. In the sub $1K range, Ruger and Springfield are better options and better made. Never spend over $1k on a Kimber because for that coin you can get considerably nicer 1911's. This seems harsh, but Kimbers are 1911's for guys that really don't know anything about 1911's who are easily sold by pretty pictures and cleaver advertising, like how they call their full size a "custom" when there's not one thing custom about it. It's like spending $20 on a dollar menu burger when you could have a decent steak.
Old January 11, 2022, 05:16 PM   #38
rock185

I understand it's fun for the Kool kids to bash those Kimber/MIMbers. I never liked the "idea" of how MIM parts are made, or having them in my guns. But FWIW, I've never had a MIM part crack, break, deform or crumble on any Kimber, SIG, Springfield or S&W I've ever owned. I'll shout it out to the internet as soon as a MIM parts breaks. After all, I want to be Kool too
Old January 11, 2022, 07:32 PM   #39
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
I understand it's fun for the Kool kids to bash those Kimber/MIMbers. I never liked the "idea" of how MIM parts are made, or having them in my guns. But FWIW, I've never had a MIM part crack, break, deform or crumble on any Kimber, SIG, Springfield or S&W I've ever owned. I'll shout it out to the internet as soon as a MIM parts breaks. After all, I want to be Kool too
They really are not the Kool Kids. So I agree with all of that except your last sentence.

I have broken a few MIM parts actually. Just broke one last Saturday. But I don't ever take one gun to the range, and when I got home, swapped out a tool steel part in about 10 minutes. But most of the MIM parts are going to outlast their owner and whoever ends up with them after the original purchaser as well.

And my 3" Kimber still is running perfect.
Old January 11, 2022, 07:46 PM   #40
Reloadron

Quote:
And my 3" Kimber still is running perfect.
Same here:

230 grain FMJ ball or 230 grain XTP all feed and cycle just fine. The gun is not actually a gun which I would have bought, a friend needed money so I ended up with it. I planned to just sell it off till I started shooting it. Never thought a little 3" .45 ACP could deliver such good accuracy. I have since become very fond of the little gun and have no plans to sell it off. Reliable and accurate so it works for me.

Ron
Old January 12, 2022, 12:12 PM   #41
pete2

I don't believe Kimber is over priced. I buy a gun to shoot. I bought a plain black Kimber II, as I said earlier I had to do a little work to it but it is built tight and shoots very well. Is it as pretty as my Colts, no but it will shoot with them and it costs less. It is easier on the hand than the older Colts, rounded edges I guess. MIM you worry about isn't an issue for me. I have quite a few rounds thru the Kimber, even more thru a 625 revolver that's full of MIM. No problems so far. I did have an ejector break in a Citadel pistol, it had about 3000 rounds thru it, it is a cheap pistol made by same company as Rock Island.
Old January 12, 2022, 04:50 PM   #42
GarandTd

They are to me, but who am I, and what does that matter to you?
Old January 13, 2022, 06:27 PM   #43
JDBerg

I lived in SoCal for almost 2 years. Kimber keeps a good number of their product line on the California DOJ Roster of approved guns for sale to residents of the state. If you live in CA and you want a 1911, you don’t have a lot of choices other than a Kimber.

Personally, I wish I’d bought a Dan Wesson PM7 that is the only DW that is CA rostered, and DW keeps that model in production to stay in the CA gun market. It was relatively easy to find a PM7 at the local gun stores in SoCal that I frequented. A PM45 which is close to a PM7 is a rare bird at an LGS outside of CA.

Last edited by JDBerg; January 13, 2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old February 5, 2022, 01:57 AM   #44
rc

It's hard to beat CZ for value/quality. Kimbers are decent guns but they don't always run perfect out of the box and need break in. They are nice guns and like a fancy car we don't buy them because they are the best gun but a classic all steel 1911 style firearm that fits hands well. The 1911 is the king of single stack guns 110 years strong after being invented. The problem with Kimbers and some other 1911s including Springfield and Colt is people buy them and expect them to run like a glock out of the box. Yeh, that's not typical but then again they don't have the unsupported chamber problems in a stock Glock either. I would not recommend a Glock or any other single action pistol for a Newbie!!! Double action with a decocker or a revolver is in my opinion a much better choice for someone that can't handle a jam without a babysitter.
Old February 5, 2022, 08:02 AM   #45
fauxpa46

This is a simple question to answer.

The seller (assume retail shop) sells the firearm for whatever profit it deems necessary to sustain its business.

You pay whatever price you feel comfortable paying,...........or not. The question of whether or not it is overpriced is moot and irrelevant.
Old February 5, 2022, 09:53 AM   #46
Nathan

Quote:
….Both came out of the box and started dropping dimes, center target, 7 yards…..
What is dropping dimes and how do I know if I’m doing it?

Quote:
Broke them in at about 400 rds.
What happened before 400 rounds that made it not broke in?

Quote:
Then starts the conversation: "They are overpriced.""I could have bought 2 (fill in the blank with ur favorite manufacturer)."
Any thoughts?
You need new friends. Yes, I’m saying this tongue in cheek. That said, you need to evaluate based on what makes you happy. When I have looked at & shot Kimbers, there are things that make me unhappy. I would not begrudge another for having bought one.

Now if a guy buys a $6000 1911 to get a “basic reliable pistol”, I might argue there reliable guns available for just slightly less. That said, his money, his gun.
Old February 5, 2022, 09:56 AM   #47
Rob228

I own two Kimber rifles that are fantastic, but no Kimber pistols. For me (and this is just me speaking my own opinion) the S&W 1911Sc I bought as my first 1911 was more in line with what I was looking for than a Kimber, same when I bought my Springfield Operator. About the same price as a comparable Kimber model, and with the Springer I had to change out the weird 2 piece guide rod, but they were more what I was looking for. My friends with Kimber 1911s have had no serious issues. I just prefer their rifles to their pistols.
Old February 6, 2022, 05:43 PM   #48
armednfree

In my opinion, yes, overpriced.

My opinion and $.75 will buy you a soda pop.
Old February 7, 2022, 12:44 PM   #49
stinkeypete

There are very few pistols I would say are "overpriced" with a broad brush.

We know that old Kimbers (Oregon) had a very devoted following.
We know you will not see many Kimbers on the 50 yd. line at Camp Perry.

If I were to get a new 1911, I would be calling Rock River Arms of Illinois. One reason is they are within an afternoon's drive of where I live. Finding a 1911 gunsmith is getting harder and harder. The main reason is that my style of shooting is accuracy competition.
Old February 7, 2022, 06:51 PM   #50
dgludwig

Quote:
Both came out of the box and started dropping dimes, center target, 7 yards. Broke them in at about 400 rds.
Getting good groups @ seven yards is nice but it's really only putting powder burns on the target. What do they do at 25 yards from a rest? When you say that they were "broken-in" @ 400 rounds, does that mean it took that long for them to function perfectly? I'm one of those people who expects (demands) that pistols function as intended straight out of the box. No excuses entertained. Shooting any pistol first before relying on it for self-defense is necessary but only for the purpose of confirmation.