The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 14, 2021, 07:08 PM   #1
Kurbsky

Why is 6.5 creedmoor ammo so expensive now?

Does anybody know why is 6.5 creedmoor ammo so expensive now? It's like $2.5 per round. I have a rifle I can't fire because at this price it no fun...
Old December 14, 2021, 10:28 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Since the question is about rifle ammo, I moved the post out of the Handguns discussion area.
Jeepaholic
Old December 14, 2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Evidently the demand exceeds availability. All ammo is higher than a couple years ago. Keep looking. Ammoseek is a good website.
Old December 15, 2021, 05:49 AM   #4
cptjack

I reload for .50 a ROUND and get a bug hole at 50
Old December 15, 2021, 05:57 AM   #5
Blindstitch

Everyone is paying a lot more depending on the store, caliber, favorite load...

I bought an AR556 in April I think and I was able to get Frontier ammo for like 8 bucks for 20. Now I see it in other stores for 15 bucks.
If you can buy at a store like walmart prices will be better or should be although they don't seem to have anything.

Wait for things to settle down and the pandemic will cause a new base price that we can complain about because it will probably be 15% more than we're use to. On the upside I bought a bunch of 6.5 arisaka brass and hunting projectiles last year so I should be good for some time. Who knows how long it will take for that brass to be available again.
Old December 15, 2021, 06:06 AM   #6
eastbank

when i don,t have any,i give it away.
Old December 15, 2021, 07:49 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
Since the question is about rifle ammo, I moved the post out of the Handguns discussion area.
I have a handgun that shoots creedmoor. Thank God I stocked up on tons of brass, bullets and powder for creedmoors, and have both small and large primer cases depending upon what primers I run out of first.

Quote:
Wait for things to settle down and the pandemic will cause a new base price that we can complain about because it will probably be 15% more than we're use to. ...
I don't think they will anytime in the near future, at least until well past 2024, fear of upheaval is sweeping the country and people are arming up and stockpiling getting ready for some kind of civil war/Armageddon conflict.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6113.jpg (107.9 KB, 1915 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; December 15, 2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old December 15, 2021, 01:29 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Wait for things to settle down and the pandemic will cause a new base price that we can complain about because it will probably be 15% more than we're use to. ...
I wouldn't hold your breath. Federal has announced 4 price increases this year alone and now owning Remington ammo and imported ammo being scarce with port issues, they have a large chunk of the market at this time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 15, 2021, 02:23 PM   #9
Rob228

I'm finding Hornady American Whitetail 129grain (shoots better than anything else I've tried, to include ammo costing twice as much) for about $1.20 a round locally.
Old December 15, 2021, 03:05 PM   #10
jmr40

Relative to all other cartridges 6.5 CM hasn't gone up any more in price than anything else. At least it is available. About the only other thing I'm finding are 308 and 223 when it comes to rifle ammo.

Welcome to the new normal. I expect prices to come down a little eventually, but this is where we are.

Winston Churchill
Old December 15, 2021, 04:49 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Since no one else has, I'm going to point out the elephant in the room...

EVERYTHING has gone up, and though being downplayed by the popular media, we are having rampant inflation. Some things have gone up 10-20% + in just months. This isn't the place to discuss the reasons, but its foolish not to consider the effects.

With the combination of all the factors, pandicdemic buying, political panic buying, reduction in labor force, transportation, raw materials, increases in cost almost across the board, nice rounds get hit the hardest.

Take a look at other niche rounds, $4-5 apiece, WHEN available, which isn't often.
Old December 15, 2021, 05:14 PM   #12
jmr40

Two years ago I bought a Sig M17 for $450. I really wanted the matching M18, but they were only released about the time things got real crazy. I saw one in a local store, but I didn't want to pay with plastic. I went back the next day with cash and it was gone.

Over the last 2 years I've only seen one other. A used one and the asking price was $1000. I saw the 2nd one yesterday @ $650 and jumped on it. Paying with plastic. It had only been on display for about an hour.

Four years ago I paid $1300 for a 10'X6' utility trailer. A month ago they were $1900. Yesterday the same trailer was $2500.

It ain't just ammo and guns.

Winston Churchill
Old December 15, 2021, 05:42 PM   #13
Phyvo

Supply and demand. When manufacturers start running this ammunition which has been in short supply for quite a while unlike 5.56, it will eventually drop as well.
Old December 16, 2021, 01:58 AM   #14
bamaranger

all ammo

Without reading all posts.......all ammo is now expensive......if you can find it.
There is a real lack of "deer calibers" in most of the chain stores. How ever, .223/5.56 FMJ is present, at over twice the old price . So too, 9mm FMJ and some HP as well. Surprisingly, 7.62x51mm FMJ seems well represented in several stores also.
Old December 16, 2021, 02:15 PM   #15
Erno86

At the metal recycling center, here in Maryland...copper/brass is selling (two weeks ago) for $2.20 a pound.

And with some store bought precision bolt rifles (at least one (Savage) I witnessed at the range last week) in 6.5 Creedmoor: Will only successfully, fully chamber, commercial Hornady Match Grade ammo in 6.5 Creedmoor --- Because the rifle's chamber measured .003 off from being spec.

Also...6.5 Creedmoor is in high demand...due to the popularity of the round.

--- George Orwell
Old December 18, 2021, 09:45 PM   #16
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbsky
Does anybody know why is 6.5 creedmoor ammo so expensive now? It's like $2.5 per round. I have a rifle I can't fire because at this price it no fun...
Define your opinion of "expensive". If you have been disconnected from current events we are about 2 years into a brutal gun panic. $2.50 for 6.5CM match ammo is the current market price, and if you don't buy it, just step aside, and some other panic stricken gun guy will buy it. Everyone is whining on the net about insane prices, yet everyone is still buying / hoarding which KEEPS demand high, and keeps prices HIGH. It's fundemental economics. Tried to buy a new vehicle lately ? All the mfg's have stacked on a 13%+ "Market Adjustment Fee" to MSRP because there is a auto chip shortage which means minimal inventory, which means dealers are sticking it hard to consumers to make up for lost volume sales.

My advice ? Get into handloading and you won't have to worry about paying $2.50 / rd.
Old December 18, 2021, 10:52 PM   #17
Blindstitch

Quote:
My advice ? Get into handloading and you won't have to worry about paying $2.50 / rd.
I got into reloading for 30-30 because that's all I had. I stayed for 30-40 Krag and 6.5 Arisaka. A couple years ago Krag was $1.75-2.00 a round. I've never seen 6.5 Arisaka on a shelf. During the Sandy shortage Krag went up to $60 at local trading posts in northern Michigan. It stayed on the shelf then till prices got down but probably not this time.

Reloading can be expensive but well worth the time when you're the only one with ammo.

Stagpanther - Has that nice pistol above. I partially wish I went that route but I did buy the CVA Optima V2 pistol (50 cal Muzzleloader) just like it and it's a kick in the hand and miles of smiles when everyone else at the range looks your way as the smoke clears.
Old December 19, 2021, 06:44 AM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther - Has that nice pistol above. I partially wish I went that route but I did buy the CVA Optima V2 pistol (50 cal Muzzleloader) just like it and it's a kick in the hand and miles of smiles when everyone else at the range looks your way as the smoke clears.
There was a brief window of time after Bergara took over CVA that you could buy Scouts made with bergara barrels for under $200--I bought the creedmoor pistol and a rifle in 444 marlin--I only wish I had bought ALL their scouts, especially the small 44 mag carbine.
Old December 19, 2021, 03:18 PM   #19
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindstitch
I got into reloading for 30-30 because that's all I had. I stayed for 30-40 Krag and 6.5 Arisaka. A couple years ago Krag was $1.75-2.00 a round. I've never seen 6.5 Arisaka on a shelf. During the Sandy shortage Krag went up to $60 at local trading posts in northern Michigan. It stayed on the shelf then till prices got down but probably not this time.

Reloading can be expensive but well worth the time when you're the only one with ammo.
Stop thinking of reloading as saving money. Look at it from the perspective that you are creating gun panic INDEPENDENCE and can continue to shoot through the worst of times un-interrupted.
Old December 19, 2021, 04:45 PM   #20
Paul B.

"Stop thinking of reloading as saving money. Look at it from the perspective that you are creating gun panic INDEPENDENCE and can continue to shoot through the worst of times un-interrupted."

Now that's the first sensible comment I've heard since all pandemic/Biden induced shortages began.

I've posted on various site including this one how during WW2 ammo was for all practical purposes unobtanium. My early on mentors told me how literally only those who had components could reload and do some shooting. Those who cast bullets were even more independent. Those old timers went out of there way teaching me the ropes regarding handloading and I've always tried to pay it forward.
Paul B.
Old December 19, 2021, 06:38 PM   #21
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Stop thinking of reloading as saving money. Look at it from the perspective that you are creating gun panic INDEPENDENCE and can continue to shoot through the worst of times un-interrupted.
I reload and save a lot of money.
Old December 20, 2021, 12:54 AM   #22
TruthTellers

Right now only the most popular stuff is getting made in large enough quantity to keep prices from going into the realm of ridiculous. This is why I'm such a proponent of keeping it simple with rifle calibers. 6.5 and 6mm Creed are fine, but they can't touch .308, .30-06, .223/556, .30-30, and the Russian calibers in terms of price and popularity.
Old January 2, 2022, 12:51 AM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The last ammo shortage 2008. Taught me a lesson. This current ammo shortage and being prepared for isn't hurting me yet. Thinking back. My first purchase of Federal 223 FMJ was 1.99 per 20 rd box. I have a Rem Model 7 that consumes such cartridges for vermin taking.
Old January 2, 2022, 09:11 AM   #24
darkgael

Reloading = independence from the market. Yes, the setup is not cheap but in the long run you are well ahead…affordable shooting, accurate ammo.
If you want to be even more independent of the market….get yourself a flintlock, a mold for casting lead round balls and make your own black powder.
Old January 2, 2022, 08:25 PM   #25
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combat.vet
I reload and save a lot of money.
No you don't, you're just able to shoot more, and have the comfort of independence (as long as your stocked up well on reloading components).