The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 16, 2022, 04:51 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

You could have it printed and framed if you wished. In fact, since the image would belong to you, you could make multiple framed prints and sell them--assuming you could find buyers.
Old January 18, 2022, 07:24 AM   #27
kozak6

I don't know about that. Copyright doesn't generally transfer with the NFT, which makes the entire thing even sillier.

The whole thing seems like Dutch Tulip Mania to me.
Old January 18, 2022, 10:24 AM   #28
jackstrawIII

People have been spending big money for physical paintings for thousands of years. NFT's are just like that... except they can't be stolen, damaged, lost, burned in a house fire, etc.

I don't buy them, but I understand them. Just like I don't buy expensive paintings... but I understand why other people do. Digital property has value, just like physical property. Don't be quick to bash something, just because you're not interested in it personally.
Old January 18, 2022, 03:25 PM   #29
Metal god

Quote:
I don't buy them, but I understand them. Just like I don't buy expensive paintings... but I understand why other people do. Digital property has value, just like physical property. Don't be quick to bash something, just because you're not interested in it personally.
It's not that I/we aren't interested it's that it's odd to think of something having value that has no substance . Example - I just bought a print of the Hubble deep field image of all those galaxes . the Original is most certainly a digital image . So where is the value in the image because I got a really nice large print for $20 . Is it owning the digital image and being able to sell copies ?

Great art was actually painted and there is a thing that is tangible if that's the right word . Those paintings or any art were drawn/made by people with exceptional talent () . I'd think any jack pot with a good program can make a really cool digital image of just about anything . How different does an image need to be to no longer be under copywrite protection ?

The likeness of a one of a kind masterpiece would seem easy to see that's it's depicting the masterpiece . Making a digital image of a 1911 for instance would be a little harder to say you copied my image since that "general" image is depicted everywhere . It would seem to me you need only change maybe the angle of the grip and slope of the trigger with all other things being the same it no longer be considered the same as the other . Most people would not have a clue they are any different and if you have to explain why one is worth $50k and the other is only worth $.50 I'm not sure it's worth the risk to invest .

Maybe it's the idea of when looking at great art the observer is often wondering what does it mean , what was the artist thinking at the time of creation . How did that influence the colors and shapes ? While looking at a digital image we think , why is that guy still living in his moms basement .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 19, 2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old January 18, 2022, 10:41 PM   #30
KyJim

I trade unique, paper portraits for items like food, guns, and ammo. Some of the them depict George Washington and, sadly, a very few depict Benjamin Franklin. Each one is unique --- serialized and everything.
Old January 18, 2022, 11:43 PM   #31
Metal god

Quote:
I trade unique, paper portraits
How's that go ...... Nuff said !

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 19, 2022, 03:41 PM   #32
Paul B.

"More and more people daily fit into the category of "More money than brains."

I was more inclined to with "A fool and his money are soon parted." I do like their 1911 though. Luckily, I don't have that much cash on hand.
Paul B.
Old January 22, 2022, 03:03 AM   #33
bamaranger

Acronyms

Upon reading this, my immediate thought was another 3 letter acronym that uses two of the three letters present in NFT, just in a different order.