The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 26, 2021, 04:41 PM   #1
4x4Ric

What can you all teach me about Consignment?

Hey all,
Hope you all had a Great Christmas.
Well I've been thinking about selling my Ruger AR and getting a Tavor X95, a buddy told me to take it to a shop that will put it on Consignment.
Who has done thing before? what exactly do I need to do etc etc. What are the positives and the negititives of Consignment of a firearm?
The shop I would do this with will open tomorrow so Id like to get a heads up of the questions to ask them, what do I need to do etc. before I call or go over there.
Thanks in advance
Old December 26, 2021, 05:04 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Typically you would leave the gun with them and they agree to try to sell it for you.
You typically get to set the price and they will get to keep some percentage of the sale.

Some advantages:
  • You don't have to advertise the gun or deal with people coming to look at it.
  • The gun will be transferred via FFL so if there's ever any question about what happened with the gun it is "off your books" so to speak.
  • Your gun will probably get better exposure in a gun shop than it would if you tried to advertise it.

Some disadvantages:
  • You don't have access to your gun until it is sold.
  • If it doesn't sell, when you retrieve it, you will probably have to fill out a 4473 and undergo a NICS check.
  • If it doesn't sell, you may still have to pay the shop a fee for processing/paperwork.
  • You obviously will have to pay the shop some fee or some percentage of the sale price.

The specific details will depend on the shop so make sure you know exactly what their rules are.

Some questions to ask:

1. If it doesn't sell, what will it take for me to get it back?
2. What fees/percentage will you take if it sells?
3. Is there a limit to how long you will keep it and keep trying to sell it?
4. How is the price set? (Be sure you understand how/if the shop will negotiate with customers.)
5. Do you think that my price is a good one? (If you want to sell the gun, you may want to get their take on your pricing. They have sold a lot more guns than you have and may have some good insight.)
6. Is my gun covered by your insurance while you have possession of it?
Old December 26, 2021, 06:14 PM   #3
ligonierbill

I can only add that I have started using a local shop to sell handguns. Mainly to avoid the hassle of shipping. So far, this has worked out well. Really depends on the shop. Read their agreement closely. For a long gun, I still post on Gunbroker.
Old December 26, 2021, 06:40 PM   #4
FITASC

My LGS has sold several of mine; his fee is 10%; some go higher than that so ask what their cut is. Know how much you must have for it (i.e. how low will you go?). My guy sold a Glock for $100 more than I thought it would go for and I gt 90 of that extra.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 26, 2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My local FFL charges 15% for consignments. I set the price I want to get; if he gets a lower offer than the asking price, he notifies me and it's my decision whether to take the lower price, or hold out for the asking price.

I'm happy to pay the 15% consignment fee. What it buys me is anonymity -- the firearms don't ever appear on-line with anything that can tie them to my name.
Jeepaholic
Old December 26, 2021, 09:56 PM   #6
4x4Ric

Great replies all.
@JohnKSa detailed reply I really appreciate that. Will write the questions down and see what his fee's are.
Thanks again all.
Old December 26, 2021, 10:12 PM   #7
jmr40

I've done consignment. But the last few I wanted to sell the shop just paid me cash up front and bought them from me. It worked out to basically the same money for me and was less hassle for both me and the shop owner. But you need to have a shop owner with cash on hand to make the deal.

Winston Churchill
Old December 27, 2021, 05:42 PM   #8
4x4Ric

@jmr40 that would be great if that happened.

Im about ready to just grab a Tavor, hate these days off LOL
Old December 27, 2021, 06:08 PM   #9
MarkCO

Consignment has worked MUCH better for me in 2020 and 2021 than Gunbroker or doing in person transfers at gunshops.

I get 85% for cash and 90% store credit. I take the store credit. In fact I have almost $1K sitting on my store credit card. Sold 6 that way and picked up 2.
Old December 28, 2021, 12:45 PM   #10
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I've done consignment. But the last few I wanted to sell the shop just paid me cash up front and bought them from me. It worked out to basically the same money for me and was less hassle for both me and the shop owner. But you need to have a shop owner with cash on hand to make the deal.
This might work with a dealer who considers you a valued customer. Most dealers won't offer as much if they have to put their money into it as you would get if they got to sell the same gun WITHOUT putting their money into it on consignment.

Dealers love consignment because it generates income and gets customers in the store without tying up their money.

As far as advice to the OP goes, JohnKSa's advice in post #2 is excellent, and be sure to get a copy of the consignment agreement in writing.
Old December 30, 2021, 06:32 PM   #11
WmMunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Consignment has worked MUCH better for me in 2020 and 2021 than Gunbroker or doing in person transfers at gunshops.

I get 85% for cash and 90% store credit. I take the store credit. In fact I have almost $1K sitting on my store credit card.
Sure hope the store doesn't declare bankruptcy...