The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2021, 08:13 PM   #1
GaryED50

Concerned about my Beretta 92x

Just got back from the range and while cleaning I saw this wear pattern on the slide. Is this a concern?
Old November 30, 2021, 08:58 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

I see wear, and I see paint coming off. Can you be more specific? Also how many round through the gun.... the wear could be normal. the finish coming off would have me salty.
Old December 1, 2021, 10:33 AM   #3
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I see wear, and I see paint coming off. Can you be more specific? Also how many round through the gun.... the wear could be normal. the finish coming off would have me salty.
It was used when I bought it, I've put about 50 rounds through it so far. the Slide is smooth as glass it looks like just paint coming off
Old December 1, 2021, 11:10 AM   #4
AustinTX

The Bruniton (paint) finish is inevitably going to get worn down to varying extents where the slide makes contact with the frame rails and locking block and where it runs across the slide stop and the rear of the trigger bar. The wear spot at the top left looks a little odd to me, but everything else looks normal and should be self-limiting. Use some grease on the contact points if you want to slow down the wear. Grease is always a good idea for protecting the anodizing on aluminum-frame guns wherever the frame contacts the slide (and, on a 92, where the locking block contacts the frame) anyway.
Old December 1, 2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Onward Allusion

Naw, you're fine. Just keep it well lubed around contact points.
Old December 1, 2021, 03:11 PM   #6
GaryED50

Thanks guys

I'd never seen wear on the finish like that.

stay safe all

Gary
Old December 2, 2021, 10:47 AM   #7
Forte S+W

This is my I've never been found of Beretta's "Bruniton" (Teflon) finish, it's just a glossy version of the non-stick coating on frying pans which scratches just as easily.
Beretta could have and should have replaced it with a more durable Cerakote or Nitride finish a long time ago, yet they continue to use Bruniton to this day, even on their higher end Pistols.

That's why, if I were to buy a new Beretta 92, then I would sooner opt for either an Inox (Stainless Steel) model or one of the M9A3 models with a Cerakote finish.
Old December 3, 2021, 09:34 PM   #8
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
This is my I've never been found of Beretta's "Bruniton" (Teflon) finish, it's just a glossy version of the non-stick coating on frying pans which scratches just as easily.
Beretta could have and should have replaced it with a more durable Cerakote or Nitride finish a long time ago, yet they continue to use Bruniton to this day, even on their higher end Pistols.

That's why, if I were to buy a new Beretta 92, then I would sooner opt for either an Inox (Stainless Steel) model or one of the M9A3 models with a Cerakote finish.

CeraKote is .

They should (I would) Melonite the slide then PVD coat the slide.

I’m contemplating having mine done in this fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 4, 2021, 07:27 AM   #9
TunnelRat

I haven’t had great experiences with the Bruniton finish on my 92A1. While I don’t think Cerakote is as good as a number of finishes out there. It’s better than what I’ve personally seen from Bruniton.
Old December 5, 2021, 11:36 AM   #10
pete2

Keep it lubed and shoot it.