The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 24, 2018, 06:39 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Ideal Carry Cellphone gun

I'm sure many here already know about this, but I'm just finding out about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2HLmxKbgfc

Unlike the .22 LR single shot Lifecard, I actually can see this being a useful defense tool. A bit big for a two shot derringer? Yup, but when you go to the beach and you're wearing your speedo and have nowhere else to conceal a gun, conceal it in the last place someone would look: in plain sight.

Given it has no sights, it's really a point shooter and at point blank the .380 is more than enough. If the price is around 300-350, I think it's not a bad buy.
Old January 24, 2018, 06:56 PM   #2
TXAZ

One way or the other I see that as a disaster waiting to happen.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 24, 2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Number10GI

Wow, it shoots "high velocity .380 rounds"! Interesting design but there are small pocket .380 pistols that have more capacity than 2 shots and conceal just as east.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Ricklin

??

Really does not look like a cell phone....close enough...maybe.

I can see people asking what kind of phone is that. It's my new high velocity phone!
Now where am I going to carry the one that really is a phone? I spend a lot of time on a cell phone, can't imagine 2 of em.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:24 PM   #5
K_Mac

I can, and sometimes do, carry a small 380. I would not carry this device at the beach or anywhere else. If I need lethal force, I want a real handgun.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:45 PM   #6
TruthTellers

While I said I feel .380 would be fine, I actually would prefer .38 Special. Just would rather have a rim for more positive extraction.

And heavier bullet potential.

It's also the only handgun I could see myself carrying in my backpocket. Wouldn't be a terrible BUG.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:45 PM   #7
SonOfScubaDiver

Interesting. It does look like a cellphone, so they have the "concealed in plain sight" thing covered. I can see this being an option for some people.
Old January 25, 2018, 12:42 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

2 rounds vs 7, and I don't have to "unfold" my LCP before shooting it. Might be an interesting curiosity to have, but I'll just stay with Elsie Pea.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 25, 2018, 03:05 PM   #9
sgms

Think the cellphone style holster for LCR sized pistols are a better idea. I think lifting the flap to draw, have more than 2 shots before needing to reload, and not having to reconfigure the pistol to make it ready to shoot after taking it out of its belt carrier is a far more reasonable idea.
Old January 25, 2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Nothing ideal about it.
Old January 26, 2018, 06:12 PM   #11
TJB101

Nope... I’ll stick with my 238 in my pocket.
Old January 26, 2018, 07:43 PM   #12
TXAZ

At $395 for the "Ideal" gun, it's a non-starter. By comparison for new guns about the same size:

Berretta Pico for $229
Ruger LC9s for $335
Or Ruger Raspberry .380 for $250
Colt Pocket 9 for $300
etc
etc
etc

No contest.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 26, 2018, 11:38 PM   #13
TruthTellers

I think when people look at the price and the 2 round capacity and compare it to other guns for the same price or less, they're missing the point.

Will you ever find yourself in a situation where carrying a gun will stand out? Will you ever be in a situation where there are places you have to be, like a hospital, where you still feel the need to protect yourself and you can't have something that's obviously a firearm?

This isn't something you're going to pay for that outperforms an LCP or is cheaper than an LCP. You may look at this and say, "That's stupid" and write it off because it only fires two rounds. Bond Arms derringers only hold two rounds and they're as heavy as a tank, built like one too, but to carry one? What does it do that beats an LCP and costs twice as much?

At least this has a clear advantage of concealability even when it's not concealed and if you can carry a smartphone and a gun, you can carry this as well. At least this will never print in a conspicuous manner.

Is it the number one gun to carry? Nope, but it's not meant to replace an LCP. Is it ideal? Idk, it depends on the situation. Is it a waste of money? That's for you to decide what your life is worth.
Old January 26, 2018, 11:55 PM   #14
K_Mac

TruthTellers I don't think anyone has missed the point. This is a clumsy excuse for a firearm. An LCP is easily concealed in any situation where a metal detector is not in place. I see no advantage to this weapon, and would not have one. Of course you could just be smarter than the rest of us...
Old January 27, 2018, 12:05 AM   #15
Cheapshooter

^^^^
Truth!

LCP, the gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun!
Old January 27, 2018, 09:39 AM   #16
SonOfScubaDiver

I can think of a few scenarios where a gun like this would be a good option, because it looks so much like a cell phone. You could go to a restaurant and have it on the table without anyone knowing it's a gun. Try that with an LCP or a Derringer. You could carry it on your belt with your shirt tucked in, and no one would guess it's a gun. You could walk around in public with it in your hand, and no one would know it's a gun. The whole point of this design is to give you an option for open carry that doesn't make it obvious that you're carrying. I don't know that I would buy one, but I'm certainly not going to write the concept off.
Old January 27, 2018, 11:05 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
You could go to a restaurant and have it on the table without anyone knowing it's a gun.
I can't think of a situation where I would be at a restaurant and want a disguised slow deploy pistol on the table instead of a quick to deploy concealed pistol on my belt. It is rarely a good idea to lose control of your firearm. The same with the disguised pistol being on my belt.

They put guns on the table in movies to provide context for a scene. The point is you see a gun. There is no point to having a gun on the table if you don't know it is a gun.
Anyways, I have been to a number criminal organization front businesses in real life. Everyone knows people are carrying guns and there is a room in the basement with a floor drain. There is no reason to put a gun on the table.

Take into consideration the 21(30) foot (not a) rule. What is it with this thing on your belt? The fifty foot (not a) rule?
Old January 27, 2018, 11:06 AM   #18
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfScubaDiver
The whole point of this design is to give you an option for open carry that doesn't make it obvious that you're carrying.
You know what I do when I want to open carry but not make it obvious I’m carrying? I carry a normal pistol concealed.

I can’t think of a single situation where it would make sense to buy this product. If you’re wearing the type of clothes where a large “cell phone” on your belt wouldn’t look out-of-place, it means you’re wearing clothes that could easily conceal a small pistol. If you’re wearing the type of clothes that can’t easily conceal a small pistol (like swim trunks or gym shorts), a cell phone clipped to your waist is going to look kinda weird.

Heck, if I was wearing a T-shirt and swim trunks I could still easily conceal my Glock 42 in a belly band and it would be a lot faster to bring into action than this pistol, and it would be a lot less conspicuous than a large, fake cell phone hanging out in the open.
Old January 27, 2018, 11:32 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

The point of the design is to sell it to guys on the Internet. I haven't seen a realistic use than cannot be handled better by standard concealment measures.

It appeals to folks with little real experience, IMHO.
Old January 27, 2018, 11:41 AM   #20
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
If you’re wearing the type of clothes that can’t easily conceal a small pistol (like swim trunks or gym shorts), a cell phone clipped to your waist is going to look kinda weird.
These are my sediments also. I can't think of a scenario where I'd want this awkward cell phone gun. Anyone whose familiar with phones is going to being asking about it because it doesn't look like any actual phone on the market. What's your answer going to be when they ask about the 2 .38 caliber holes on the side?
Old January 27, 2018, 12:54 PM   #21
SonOfScubaDiver

You guys make good points, and if something like this isn't for you, it's no big deal. Still, that doesn't mean others won't find a cell phone look-a-like gun something they'd want. It's clearly one of those niche type products created by someone looking outside the box.
Old January 27, 2018, 01:03 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
These are my sediments also
sediment is a pretty good word to describe this thing!
Old January 27, 2018, 01:15 PM   #23
TailGator

Quote:
It appeals to folks with little real experience, IMHO.
Dr. Meyer wins the prize. He expressed exactly the market this is aimed at.
Old January 27, 2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I think when people look at the price and the 2 round capacity and compare it to other guns for the same price or less, they're missing the point.

Will you ever find yourself in a situation where carrying a gun will stand out? Will you ever be in a situation where there are places you have to be, like a hospital, where you still feel the need to protect yourself and you can't have something that's obviously a firearm?

This isn't something you're going to pay for that outperforms an LCP or is cheaper than an LCP. You may look at this and say, "That's stupid" and write it off because it only fires two rounds. Bond Arms derringers only hold two rounds and they're as heavy as a tank, built like one too, but to carry one? What does it do that beats an LCP and costs twice as much?

At least this has a clear advantage of concealability even when it's not concealed and if you can carry a smartphone and a gun, you can carry this as well. At least this will never print in a conspicuous manner.

Is it the number one gun to carry? Nope, but it's not meant to replace an LCP. Is it ideal? Idk, it depends on the situation. Is it a waste of money? That's for you to decide what your life is worth.

Being I carry an iPhone on my belt, it would be very odd to employ that...

If you want something when you can’t carry a normal gun, I think you’d be better off with a NAA revolver over that. No unfolding, just cock off the safety notch and ready to fire.

Sorry, but I don’t see a point... I do see you trying to make one, but just because I make an argument for carrying a TAC-14 under a coat, doesn’t make it right. You mentioned putting it in your back pocket, and for when you can’t carry a gun. Sorry to break it to you, but it is a gun. If you can’t carry legally, you can’t carry legally. Doesn’t change anything if it looks like a gun or not.

For the back pocket, what is any different than this?

Instead of two round, and needs to be unfolded... you have 15 rounds, 8 being ready to go from the draw.
Old January 27, 2018, 03:43 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

What are you going to do with your REAL phone?