The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 30, 2017, 10:46 AM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

Want to build an SBR, need a bit of help

I have an existing armalite rifle I'd like to sbr. I've got a barrel picked out, but want to get my paperwork started. My question is what form(s) do I need? I'd like to register it to myself, not a trust. Can someone link the NFA form I need? Also should I approach my CLEO before submitting my paperwork and ask for his approval? I'm really eager to get my wait started. Thank you in advanced for any and all help.
Old July 30, 2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Theohazard

If you google "ATF Form 1" the first result should be a direct link to a PDF on the ATF's website. That's the form you need to fill out. It should be a fillable PDF.

The form is 12 pages long, and it's broken into three parts: ATF Copy (the copy the ATF keeps), ATF Copy 2 (the copy that gets sent back to you with a stamp attached), and the CLEO Copy (the copy you send to your local chief law enforcement officer). All you do is fill out the ATF copy and the other two copies are automatically filled out by the PDF form. Just make sure you sign all three after you print them out.

You should print it out in full in a front-and-back format. However, the ATF formatted the form wrong, so when you print it out this way the front of the CLEO Copy prints out on the back of the last page of the ATF Copy 2. So print out pages 1-9, then print out pages 10-12 separately to avoid this issue.

As for the sign-off, that went away over a year ago. The CLEO Copy is simply a notification. There's is no sign-off approval anymore; if your CLEO doesn't want you to have your SBR there's not a darn thing than can do about it unless they have records that show you're a prohibited person.

You'll need to send in the ATF Copy and ATF Copy 2 to the ATF, along with a $200 payment. You can write in your credit card info on the Form 1 if you want, but keep in mind that if your credit card company sees a random $200.00 charge in West Virginia they might flag it as a fraudulent charge and decline it. If that happens the ATF will reject your paperwork and send it back. I've seen that happen twice at the SOT I used to work at. So a money order is the safest way to go, but if you use a personal check you'll be able to see it be cashed so you'll know the ATF has your paperwork in their system, just make sure it doesn't bounce.

Some people also send in an ATF citizenship form (ATF Form 5330.20), but there's no clear indication it's actually required (lots of pre-41F Form 1s and 4s were approved without that form, though I haven't seen any post-41F approvals yet).

Last edited by Theohazard; July 30, 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old July 30, 2017, 02:24 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Great thread on Form 1's and Form 4's

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/46...bmissions.html

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 30, 2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Theohazard

Oops, I forgot to mention the fingerprints and photographs. But that's covered in the link Tom posted.

Last edited by Theohazard; July 30, 2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old July 31, 2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Chainsaw.

Excellent write up Ohazard!

Are SBRs taking a year as well? Been thinking of SBRing a rifle and a pistol.

Last edited by Chainsaw.; July 31, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old November 15, 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
deanf

What do people who don't live in incorporated areas (not in a city) do about marking their SBR with the "city" of making? Just use the county name?

"BUSTED WHISTLE COUNTY, MT"?
Old November 15, 2017, 09:59 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
deanf What do people who don't live in incorporated areas (not in a city) do about marking their SBR with the "city" of making? Just use the county name?

"BUSTED WHISTLE COUNTY, MT"?
ATF Ruling 2013-3 "Adopting Identification of Firearms" says
Quote:
The manufacturer, importer, or maker must legibly and conspicuously place on the frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide (if applicable) his/her own name (or recognized abbreviation) and location (city and State, or recognized abbreviation of the State) as specified under his/her Federal firearms license (if a licensee)....
It says nothing about the city being incorporated.
Does your mail get addressed to you at Busted Whistle County MT? Or is there a town associated with the address?

I would just use what city the USPS says you are in.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE