The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 15, 2018, 10:43 AM   #1
bp22

Dilemma - need suggestions

not sure how much more going to the range I will do because of my health.... problem I was going to buy m&p2.0 mostly just for having in car but I question spending a lot of money with my health and just not having the motivation I use to. looking maybe for spending less, wanting 9mm, dependable, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am 65 yrs old.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Lohman446

For a toss in the truck gun I cannot say enough about the Smith and Wesson Sigma (or SW SD9VE under current nomenclature). The seem durable, reliable, and cheap. The triggers are not great but hey, there is some trade off
Old February 15, 2018, 11:21 AM   #3
zipspyder

I can recommend the SD9VE but you have to practice because the stock triggers really suck. I replaced mine though.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Dufus

Well, I am older than you are, still have plenty of motivation even though I also have health issues (thanks mostly to grandkids keeping me on my toes) and I don't give up easily. My back hurts all the time, I still do manual labor (just finished rebuilding a 22 ft chimney with SIL) and I have lots of guns.

I have relegated my everyday carry to the S&W SD9VE. I like them so much that I bought 4 of them for less than $290 each. I love the triggers for a carry gun. I do not want a light trigger on any carry gun. They can be learned, but if shooting less than 7 yards, I don't use sights and can hit where I point.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Siggy-06

SD9VE or SR9E will both serve you well.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:11 PM   #6
BigJimP

I'm older than you are too...( and I hope your health issues can be improved a little - so you can get to the range ) ...

However, there are all kinds of guns out there on a budget...up to $ 800 or so out the door...from S&W, Springfield, Sig, Glock, etc...it really comes down to what fits your hands the best, what controls you like on the gun, what you like esthetically, etc...

If you like the M&P, you should buy that...

Personally, I have large hands - so all of the sub-compacts, most of the compacts do not fit my hands and I can't shoot them very well. So I tend to look at a full sized gun for my needs.../ but I say that only so you understand how I look at picking a gun ( first and foremost it has to fit my hands ! ).

The other reality is - the price of the gun, is probably the least expensive thing you'll buy in this hobby ....vs ammo, range expense, training, etc..../ ...and I would encourage you to get with buddies for a range trip or sign up for a class...discuss your health limitations with the instructor ..and find one that suits you / will work with what you want to accomplish.

I have gone to a 9mm for defense also ...as arthritis, etc has become a bigger issue for me too. Nothing wrong with a 9mm ---especially since there has been so much good "Defensive Ammo" developed for the 9mm in the last 10 yrs or so.

You should shoot / rent as many guns as you can ...before you buy. Consider single stacks and double stacks...lots of options out there today.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:18 PM   #7
MandolinMan

I just saw one of the new Ruger Security 9 pistol for $279 at my local gun store. Might be something to look at.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old February 15, 2018, 05:21 PM   #8
tallball

Military surplus or police trade-in pistols are the best bang for the buck.
Old February 20, 2018, 04:32 PM   #9
DaleA

Quote:
not sure how much more going to the range I will do because of my health....
Well good luck and I really hope your health improves. Most things said (on my part) in this situation are just dumb but I hope you will appreciate the sentiment.

This place is great just to come and read and contribute. Hope you stay around.
Old February 20, 2018, 04:56 PM   #10
KLCane

Nothing to do with your question OP, but hang in there man.
Old February 23, 2018, 03:47 AM   #11
Scorch

For a "toss it in the truck" gun, get a Makarov.
Old March 6, 2018, 01:26 AM   #12
jmstr

In striker fired: S&W SD9ve is reliable and inexpensive.
trigger isn't horrible, but isn't great.

In DA/SA: I'd recommend a Ruger P95 or P97 [9mm vs .45acp]. Old Sig P6 with hammer spring replaced would be good also, but would prob cost more. Bersa Thunder .380 or Firestorm is probably around $300 new, but they ARE .380acp- and not more powerful. [note, .380acp handguns are generally blowback, and feel harsher in the hand than 99% of all 9mms to me.]

In SA: [kept with no round in chamber, but loaded mag inserted], Star Model B or Super B are good values and shoot really well. About as good as a 1911, but for around $300.

In revolver: Used S&W Model 10 or 15 would be my choice- probably find for less than $400.