The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 20, 2012, 07:14 AM   #1
mnhedrick

budget AR-15

Hi all,
Looking for the best bang for my buck when it comes to ARs. Have to keep it on the low end of the spectrum for budget concerns. What is everyones thoughts about complete rifles vs piece meal? What would be the best budget upper and lower comb(would like to keep to just.complete uppers and lowers as my smithing skills aren't the best in the bussiness)? Sorry if this jas been asked a ton of times, new here.

Thanks
Nathan
Old February 20, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
1BadF350

You should try reading the first few pages of this section because there have been multiple topics started on this matter.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3
dvdcrr

I just put one together for pretty close to 579.
stripped lower: $90 after transfer
Lower parts kit: $65
collapsible stock kit and upper together: $424
I already had a rear sight and a carbine buffer. that doesn't include mags either.
The upper is a del-ton midlength carbine non-chrome lined. Its got good m4 feedramps and a bayonet lug. Should shoot moa with some loads.
Old February 20, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
hsccox

A S&W going for about $700.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
KC Rob

I just bought a S&W M&P-15 for around $680 out the door. So far I am very happy with it. DPMS Oracles can be had for a few bucks less than that even, but I went with the Smith for a couple of reasons: 1) S&W's warranty, 2) M&P-15 came with sights including a Magpul flip up rear, the oracle is a flat top and good iron sights would run you another $60 or so, 3) Magpul PMAG's, 4) and finally, and this is really minor, so I am prepared to be goofed on, The M&P has an enlarged trigger guard. Works better with gloves and just plain looks better in my opinion over the stock flat guard. I know that is minor, but I prefer it.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
CTS

Take a look at Palmetto State Armory.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:56 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Hard to beat PSA prices, especially when you consider the quality barrel and BCG's they have.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:37 AM   #8
globemaster3

It all depends on what the driving point is. Is "on the low end of the spectrum" mean absolutely the cheapest you can do, or does it mean "within reason". If the later, then a more descriptive definition will define what will fit your price point.

If the former, then you could start with a Plum Crazy assembled lowed, normally going for between $119-129 in most places I've seen them. From there, keep your eye out for deals on assembled uppers. Be advised, read the fine print. Some uppers come with a charging handle and bolt carrier group, some don't. Some good places to look are DSA, Del Ton, CMMG, PSA, etc.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Mobuck

A fully functional AR for around $500 is possible. A lot depends on your shipping and dealer costs. Two years ago, I aquired several before giving up my FFL. Some were in the $425 range by doing some careful buying and bundling multiple buys to minimize shipping per piece.
A DelTon upper and PlumCrazy carbon fiber lower is the lowest priced combo w/o shipping but some DPMS uppers are priced pretty low right now.
Magazine and ammo prices are about as good as they're likely to get.
The political situation may raise the prices soon so get on the bus or be prepared to pay more later.
Honestly, you don't have to start with all the bells and whistles on your first rifle. No need to buy a high end gun and find you don't like part or all of the platform.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #10
rhs77430

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411537958

best deal ever! this is a very very well built ar15. i just got mine, fit and finish is great, feels better built than the m16's i deal with in the army, has a THICK barrell, makes for very very accurate groups (1moa) and i ran 500 rounds thru it without a hiccup.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:11 PM   #11
RockyMtnTactical

On a budget, Stag. Spikes isnt much more for a very good quality rifle though.
Old February 22, 2012, 03:50 AM   #12
chris in va

Very satisfied with my Sport. 2800 rounds through it.

Tags
ar15 , budget