The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 13, 2006, 02:43 AM   #1
Bigoledude

We should all know the answer

I started shooting 20 years ago. We live in an area where we could drive a very short distance and shoot for hours. The bad part is that I developed terrible shooting habits and never had the benefit of the old-dudes to teach me all kinds of good stuff.

Well, I'm trying to make up for lost time. Listening to and reading the advice of many. I handload for .38 special, .45 ACP, .44 special and .44 magnum. I also shoot a Marlin 1894 chambered for .44 Mag.

I can obviously shoot lead/cast bullets a lot cheaper than jacketed. Are cast bullets as accurate as jacketed? My old eyes couldn't do any fine bullets or gun for that matter justice. It's just that I've always wondered and never came across an experts explanation. I'm guessing that there is a magic number that we should keep under in rifle calibers to prevent leading the barrels. What is that muzzle velocity?

I am pretty fired-up over the prospect of busting a bigole Russian boar with my own cast bullets one day.
Old January 13, 2006, 07:52 AM   #2
HSMITH

Cast bullets can be very accurate, as accurate as the best jacketed bullets for sure.

Leading barrels is a combination of things. Speed, temperature, lube, bullet hardness and barrel condition all play in.

If your Marlin is a microgroove barrel you will need 'hardcast' bullets, if it is conventionally rifled most any bullet should shoot OK.

You are going to have to test the bullets you want to use in your gun. Shoot a few and check for leading. Leading near the chamber is usually a bullet that is too hard for the pressure or undersized, leading down the entire bore is usually a bullet that is too soft for the pressure or a lube that is too hard for the pressure, leading at the muzzle is usually a bullet running out of lube or running out of pressure needed to make the lube flow, etc.

It sounds a lot harder than it is.