The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2018, 08:22 AM   #1
reinert

Speer #2011 bullets

For better than a little while now, I've been looking for the Speer Hot Core, 150grn. Soft Point Flat Nose bullets (#2011s) for reloads in my 30-30s. Couldn't find them anywhere; local shops, and even when traveling around. Just empty slots where they should be, and none on the internet either. Midway even listed them as discontinued on their site when I looked there a while back.

So, I emailed the Speer outfit, and they promptly replied that the bullet in question is a specialty run, still in production, and may be up for production again shortly (glad their not discontinued!). That was good news. They said they only sell to distributors, who sell to dealers, who sell to the consumers and have no way to tell who has the product in stock. That's a great bullet that's been around for a long time. Glad I still have some on hand for reloads, and can look to see them offered again down the trail. I also thank the Speer people for their prompt reply, too.

I started my "book learnin'" on reloading with the #10 Speer manual. It's still a good one for safe, step by step construction for good ammo; well illustrated, too. Omark industries, CCI, Speer and RCBS put the book out back then (1979). "The Good Ol' Boys." My youngest son bagged his first deer with a pre-64, model 94 with a reload using that #2011 bullet. One shot through the "lights" did the job quickly, and cleanly.
Old April 18, 2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Dufus

Speer gave me the same line of crap a few years ago when I was searching for a particular 38 caliber bullet. I haven't found the bullet anywhere and I've been looking for almost 8 years.

I have given up on speer.
Old April 18, 2018, 02:00 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Speer, like nearly all other firearm, ammunition, or component manufacturers, doesn't tool up and run an item just to shove it in a warehouse while they see if the distributors want it.
They only put an existing product on the schedule if they have enough ORDERS to justify the expense and allow immediate shipment.
If you want a particular bullet that is not discontinued, then place some orders - or at least talk your local dealer(s) into doing so with their distributors.

The same goes for nearly any other bullet, ammunition, or firearm. If you want it, you need to speak up (and let your money talk with a backorder, if possible).
...And then be prepared to stock up as soon as it's available.
Old April 18, 2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Marco Califo

MidSouthShooters supply carries them. On backorder.

30 Caliber .308 Diameter 150 Grain Hot Cor Flat Nose Soft Point 100 Count
021-2011 | Speer
$19.26
Backorder OK
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...=speer+%232011

I have been noticing that Speer bullets are very inexpensive. The 70 gn 224 is less than $14 per 100, which is cheaper than a lot of 55 gr bullets.
Old April 20, 2018, 08:54 AM   #5
reinert

I still do have a fair enough amount of the Speer #2011s in my stash for my M336 reloads, but I just came to the point of resupply thoughts, which prompted this thread. I did see "back order OK" on some of the suppliers I checked out, but Midway's ad for these bullets, "out of stock no backorder," made me wonder about availability down the trail, hence my email to the Speer folks. Guess we'll see when and where they show up available again.

Dufus, you mentioned a bullet you've waited for from Speer for a number of years now. I had a bullet from Speer I used to shoot quite a bit out of my NM Blackhawk in .41 magnum years and years ago, which I really liked; it was their 220 grn. jacketed SP. I hated to see that one dropped from their line. I do use their 210 grn. Deer Curls in my Marlin M94, .41 mag now, and they're quite accurate. So far, all in all, I'm still a Speer fan for reloads in what I need them for. Just lookin' for the #2011s to show up again...
Old March 20, 2019, 08:22 AM   #6
reinert

They're back...

FWIW: I see the Speer #2011s are back on the shelves again. Good, very accurate bullets in both my old 336s. I killed my first whitetail with my scoped 336 last December, ranged at a bit over 150yds. Exit wound about the size of a Sacajawea dollar, and minimal meat damage. I've had more fun with the 30-30 lately, seems it's my mostly "go to" gun these days. I can see why these bullets have been around a long time. Hard to beat bullet for 20 bucks a hundred, IMO.