The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 29, 2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Howzitbra

Alternative 10/22 sights

With my old eyes I can hardly see the front sight of my 10/22. Is there some sights I can buy that would alleviate this problem? Not looking for a scope other than maybe a red dot, but not really looking to spend a lot of money. It’s just for plinking and maybe shooting some varmints out back of the house. Thanks in advance for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 29, 2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Kvon2

The "see all open sight" is an interesting concept. Should be much easier to see and I think they run around $100.
Old March 29, 2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Mobuck

I can absolutely recommend a good quality red dot. I've been having significant accuracy problems with my pistol but adding a red dot put me back in business. The dot sight is even less intrusive on a 10-22 than on a pistol.
Basically, if you can see well enough to define the target, you can see the dot and that's where the bullet goes.
Old March 29, 2018, 09:18 PM   #4
Panfisher

Williams Fire sites. Makes all the difference in the world.
Old March 29, 2018, 09:24 PM   #5
BBarn

I have a Williams peep set on my 10-22. Mine have the standard gold bead front, but it's also available with the fire sight front as well. They are the WGRS-RU22 series and come with a the higher front sight that's needed with the peep.
Old March 30, 2018, 08:17 AM   #6
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvon
The "see all open sight" is an interesting concept. Should be much easier to see and I think they run around $100.
It is an interesting sight. It does everything the website says it does.

I found it less accurate than iron sights, perhaps because it requires occluded eye aiming. I don't rule out the possibility that it could have grown on me if I had put in a lot more time with it. It isn't a straight substitute for a red dot illuminated by a light gathering fiber.

For a 10/22, Tech Sights could help. With a small enough aperture, the front blade and target will be much clearer. They aren't very cheap, but they aren't a scope and they don't require batteries.

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/
Old March 30, 2018, 06:48 PM   #7
darkgael

I put a set of Tech Sights on my 10/22 takedown. Very nice.
Pete
Old March 31, 2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Evan Thomas

Yes, the Tech Sights are excellent.
Old March 31, 2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Pahoo

Center-Point RedDot from Walmart.

Center-Point RedDot from Walmart. From your post I read that these will meet all your expectations. I do understand that there are many others, that will exceed your expectations. .....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 31, 2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Charlie98

I'm not much of a red dot guy, I really like peeps, and have them on every rifle it's practical, including my 10/22. I have TechSights on it, they are very serviceable but I think they look kind of hunky, I have a Williams on my Marlin 15... it doesn't have the ease of adjustment the TechSight does, but it uses the factory front post and it far less obtrusive.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old March 31, 2018, 03:46 PM   #11
dgludwig

Quote:
I have a Williams peep set on my 10-22. Mine have the standard gold bead front, but it's also available with the fire sight front as well. They are the WGRS-RU22 series and come with a the higher front sight that's needed with the peep.
I have the exact same sight on my full-length stocked 10-22. Great set-up that's fast to acquire a good sight picture and does not detract from the otherwise fine handling qualities of the little Ruger.
Old April 3, 2018, 10:01 AM   #12
lockedcj7

I had the tech sights on my 10-22 and liked them. My eyes are having a harder time making out the target now so I went with a 4x scope.
Old April 3, 2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Another vote for Tech Sights.