The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Marco Califo

WC844 Available Again

It has been a long time since I last saw WC844 surplus pull-down powder for sale.
http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
"WC844 Original application is U.S. 5.56mm NATO (.223 Rem) Ball M193 (55gr) & M855 (62gr), plus Tracer M196 & M856. A double based ball powder which can be loaded using Hodgdon H335 data or Accurate Arms 2230. Also excellent choice for 7.62mm NATO (.308 Win) ammo.
This is pulldown ball powder. $99/8# jug."
Old April 11, 2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Charlie98

Figures... I just bought a 8# of H335...

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old April 11, 2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Been a awhile since I seen 844 advertised. Might have to look into buying a jug. Thanks for the heads up. S/s
Old April 11, 2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Keep in mind that H335 is WC844, but just in canister rather than bulk grade. The difference is the canister grade has its burn rate more tightly controlled in order to keep load manual data valid. The extra manufacturing steps needed to achieve that tighter burn rate are part of why canister grade power costs more.

A large-scale ammunition maker will have a pressure gun with which to adjust loads for the wider burn rate tolerance of the bulk grade powders, and those adjustments can go outside the load manual data range for the same basic type. That said, the bulk grade burn rate bell curve distribution is centered on the same nominal burn rate the canister grade is, so some bulk lots come out within the canister grade burn rate range randomly. If Jeff Bartlett has tested the performance of the pull-down lot (actually, just measuring the charge weight average in the pull-downs will tell you) to be safe for use with published manual data, you are good to go.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 14, 2018, 03:30 PM   #5
rg1

Used to be a much better bargain over H335 but to me not worth the difference today. Every different lot of surplus powder needs to be reworked. Some lots can be slower or faster than H335. Trip to the range and range fees, loading different groups to be tested using primers, powder, and bullets and it's not worth the $30-$40 difference. Do recommend Bartletts GiBrass though.
Old April 14, 2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Stats Shooter

Seems like buying bulk grade would only be worth it if you are buying a couple full hazmats full (48 lbs each). That way the powder can be fully tested under differing conditions. And the additional cost of components and time needed to get the relative burn rate nailed down is with the few $/lb saved.

On the other hand, if it's 16 lbs or less, I will just buy 2 jugs of H335, compare it to my old loads, and adjust.
Old April 14, 2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Really big purchases mean you have to worry about how old it is and whether or not it will last until you have shot it all.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2018, 01:09 AM   #8
Marco Califo

I got a jug of WC844 a couple of years ago, when it was $80 a jug at Wideners. 10 years before that I got a jug of Data 2230C (AA2460). This was another surplus powder in the 223 - 308 realm.
I have used a lot of it, I like it, but do not expect to buy another. Instead I have been adding different powders for specific things like TAC, Varget, CFE223, Silhouette, BE-86.

I think you guys are overthinking the possible lot variances. Once you get it and work up loads, like any other powder, it becomes a non-issue. Worst case would be you dial it back away from published maxes if you have a faster lot. I believe most lots simply fall in the expected range.

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 15, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old April 15, 2018, 07:42 AM   #9
Road_Clam

I contemplate buying kegs of surplus powder from Pats Reloading years ago during the "powder panic". Never knew about Pats, got the tip from my gun club. They also commented you will see some variances from lot to lot. I didn't feel this would be a good decision as i'm still an amateur precision reloader trying to minimize handloading variables, not introduce more. I have a few powders in large quantities such as W748 , Varget, and H4895. I have these in 8# kegs. What I do is after I burn a few lbs. I buy a few new #1 bottles and mix them right in with my current batch. This way if there is a slight variance I will never see it as I maintain a large 10# reserve all mixed together. This seems to work excellent for me for maintaining good stability year round. The W748 powder is a bit fussy with seasonal ambient temps.
Old April 15, 2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Mobuck

I've loaded several 8# jugs of the WCC844 powder in .223 reloads. Random samples shot over a Chrony produced acceptable numbers and accuracy was as good as Xterminator or H335 canister.
Old April 15, 2018, 12:11 PM   #11
BWM

I still have about 14lb of A2200 that I got back in the early 2000 for 60.00 for 8lb I got 6 - 8lb at one time sold one of them.