The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 21, 2018, 04:11 PM   #26
Jimbo-Indy

My opinion is that for defense, it's speed and shot placement over multiples of shots. Statistics show that nearly all defensive uses of a gun are over in seconds and involve only a few rounds. Best to carry what you are the most practiced with. Example: cowboy action shooters might carry their single action revolvers. Most auto shooters would be hard pressed to get off 5-6 shots as fast and as accurate as an SASS competitor. All depends on what you are comfortable with.
Old February 21, 2018, 05:10 PM   #27
Dain Bramage

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a 7 shot Ruger Single Seven Birdshead .327 for CC.
I recently bought one. Thinking about a Simply Rugged Cattleman holster in crossdraw, like this one (back side showing the loop):

Old February 21, 2018, 05:23 PM   #28
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
My opinion is that for defense, it's speed and shot placement over multiples of shots.
Shot placement is key, but since the small vital internal targets are moving and concealed with ia three dimensional opaque envelope, that placement is less a matter of marksmanship than a matter of statistical luck, and casting the die more time is more likely to come up with a winning number.

Quote:
All depends on what you are comfortable with.
True, if your comfort is objectively supportable.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:36 PM   #29
In The Ten Ring

I knew Stan Sweet personally....he was so fast you really couldn't see it.

Any of us (or name your favorite police officer) would be killed by him even if your guy (or you) had your weapon pointed at him, cocked, and your finger on the trigger. I have seen him do just that exercise with blanks.

http://www.register-herald.com/news/...561c44f22.html

Carry whatever you want, be good with it, use your head, and win the battle. I have seen two guys carry SA revolvers and both looked like guys you had best not fool with be it with fists or trigger fingers.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:52 PM   #30
moosemike

No thanks. I'm trying to protect my life and others, not reenact the 19th century.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:57 PM   #31
In The Ten Ring

Bob Wright,

You look good there man, very stately. Is that a "Simply Rugged" reload pouch by Bob Leahy? *If so, I wear one my self for a speed strip.
Old February 21, 2018, 07:38 PM   #32
briandg

I would not feel uncomfortable carrying a SA. It's not a lot slower to deploy than any other. they are almost always more powerful than the semiauto. If a person can carry in relative safety, it would be a fair option. In a case of rummaging around in saint louis gang territory, it seems a little foolish. Just forget the reload, it's not going to happen. You have six rounds, the bad guys may actually have hundreds.

I drew and fired on a rabbit once, nailed him. A good man can do so on an armed assailant.
Old February 21, 2018, 07:44 PM   #33
Real Gun

I see the problem as holster availability. While Mernickle has the right idea with high ride and forward cant, keeping that grip from poking out, the range of guns and sizes is limited to pretty big iron. I have a Taylor's Uberti Birdhead 38 Special Model P Jr. that would carry easily in the right holster. Note that while a six shooter, it would be loaded with five, none under the hammer.
Old February 21, 2018, 08:22 PM   #34
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Example: cowboy action shooters might carry their single action revolvers. Most auto shooters would be hard pressed to get off 5-6 shots as fast and as accurate as an SASS competitor.
I am a CAS competitor. I know my single action revolvers inside and out and I can shoot them very well. I wouldn't dream of carrying one concealed. By the way, those competitors who can get off 5 shots as fast as a semi-auto shooter are usually shooting very light loads that no one would dream of using in a carry gun. They cannot fire so fast with normal loads, there is too much recoil.

There is a reason the Colt and other single action revolvers were called Belt Pistols. They were usually not concealed, but were open carried, because they were so big. When laws changed, and open carry became frowned upon in the Old West, S&W et al started making pocket revolvers that were easier to conceal.

But I do always enjoy seeing Bob Wright's photos, and now I have a face to put with the name.
Old February 21, 2018, 08:38 PM   #35
Bob Wright

Driftwood Johnson said:

Quote:
But I do always enjoy seeing Bob Wright's photos, and now I have a face to put with the name.
My apologies, Sir.

Bob Wright
Old February 21, 2018, 09:00 PM   #36
Real Gun

I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops. Threepersons is better in that regard. 2 1/4" is standard from El Paso Saddlery but narrower on request.

Another point is that with a higher carrying holster, it is best to keep the barrel length pretty short so you don't have to lift as high to clear the holster.
Old February 21, 2018, 09:04 PM   #37
Real Gun

Quote:
I recently bought one. Thinking about a Simply Rugged Cattleman holster in crossdraw, like this one (back side showing the loop):
Tried one. Save your money. All the cross draws poke out too much in front. This is one is not a good design for me. When it rotates under the weight of the gun, that sharp end presents upward. The belt has to fit the loop exactly.
Old February 21, 2018, 09:26 PM   #38
Guv

How would a SA be "as good or better than a DA"?

If someone wants to carry a SA then more power to them, but the above statement needs some explanation.
Old February 21, 2018, 10:05 PM   #39
Bob Wright

Quote:
In drawing the Single Action revolver, the hammer is cocked about the time the gun clears leather and fired as it comes level. The recoil aids in cocking for the second shot. So the first two shots are a mite faster with a Single Action than with a double action revolver. Those who fan the Single Action can get two shots off that sound as one shot. I draw and fire with one hand only, going to a two hand hold if the situation permits/requires it.

Never tried with an autoloader, so can't say about that.

Quote:
I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops.
When ordering a holster, specify belt width. i have mine made for 1 1/2" belts.

Bob Wright
Old February 21, 2018, 10:06 PM   #40
ChuteTheMall

I love my single action revolvers, and if I could imagine some reason to claim they were superior to more modern designs, I'd post it here.

They aren't superior, but may be good enough.
Old February 21, 2018, 10:36 PM   #41
Real Gun

Quote:
Refer to post #1.
Old February 21, 2018, 10:50 PM   #42
shafter

While I'd rather go into a gunfight with a Glock or similar high capacity auto, I'd never sell a single action short. They tend to fire a round that packs a wallop and with plenty of practice, thumbing the hammer becomes second nature with one hand or with two. I have no doubt that guys like Bob Wright can handle business with their old school hoglegs.
Old February 21, 2018, 10:51 PM   #43
NateKirk

Carrying a SA revolver in the 21st century is pure vanity

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old February 21, 2018, 11:10 PM   #44
Sharkbite

Quote:
Carrying a SA revolver in the 21st century is pure vanity
It sure is not picking the best tool for the job
Old February 21, 2018, 11:20 PM   #45
Cheapshooter

Not a fan of that big hammer being unprotected by the holster. Likewise the trigger. Just looks like the hammer could be poking your side for one thing. Or possibly get snagged in something cocking it. Then the trigger being unprotected could all be adding up to a perfect storm.
I don't care for an exposed hammer on a carry gun in the first place. Then there is the fact that I don't want the extra step of disengaged a safety. With a SA revolver it's like having to disengage the safety every time you shoot. Only it takes a longer, and less ergonomic motion. Then there is the one at a time slow reloading if necessary.
Too many things add up to it being one of the worst choices for CCW regardless of competency of operation.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 21, 2018, 11:27 PM   #46
croberts

I have an NAA .22 mag as well. I also have a Kahr PM9 that I bought as a CCW. But man is that NAA way more convenient to carry than even the subcompact 9mm...
Old February 22, 2018, 12:14 AM   #47
Hawg

Quote:
I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops.

Quote:
When ordering a holster, specify belt width. i have mine made for 1 1/2" belts.

I wear a 1 1/2 inch belt but it's about 1/4" thick. It won't sag or curl over.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:30 AM   #48
deserted

I've carried a single action for most of the last fifty years. It's what I like and shoot the best. Often carried in a full flap cavalry holster. Never felt under-gunned in any way. Today's EDC is a 4.62" Single Seven with full house Federal soft points in a pancake holster I made years ago for a 1911. Hehe...perfect fit. I make my own gun belts, saddle scabbards, and all other holsters, too. See, I had this project, I was gonna build a saddle, so I have all this leather...carry eight round speed strips for reloads.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:43 AM   #49
OldMarksman
Staff

Before anyone extolls the virtues of one handgun type over another for CCW, he or she would be well advised to try one out in realistic defensive pistol shooing. I do not mean firing at a target at seven yards or more and evaluating group size. I mean drawing and shooting as quickly as possible to achieve combat accuracy at realistic defensive ranges. Say, drawing in a second and a half and putting three to five rounds in another second or two into an area the size of an upper chest at distances varying from about ten feet to, say, fifteen feet.

Repeatedly, with targets in different locations not known in advance to the defender.

And then, to use it in some realistic FoF training.

One who may have "felt comfortable" with some firearm or other may be in for an eyeopening experience.
Old February 22, 2018, 04:32 AM   #50
Model12Win

Please delete.

Last edited by Model12Win; February 22, 2018 at 06:37 PM.
Closed Thread