The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 5, 2018, 10:46 AM   #51
Schlitz 45

I do believe that most pistols were shot one handed from my historical research-most folks just picked up a gun and were never formally trained & even the military of the day shot/trained in one handed point shooting until the 1950's.
Eventually I'll work up to shooting targets at 15 & 25 yards but right now I need to take baby steps so I don't get discouraged & will continue to do it one handed.
Old March 5, 2018, 11:26 AM   #52
Real Gun

Okay, but owning that gun doesn't mean you have to shoot in some way believed to be authentic. There really isn't crazy recoil with those big guns and calibers, a compelling reason to hang on with two hands. You should shoot in whatever way makes you happy.
Old March 6, 2018, 11:39 PM   #53
rclark

FWIW, the Lipseys .45 flattop convertible is on the medium frame and just like the .44 Special. Indexes properly. I have two and wouldn't give 'em up. Of course the New Vaquero is the same frame, just fixed sights. Won't give them up either.

I normally shoot 2 handed for best accuracy, but one handed is lots of fun. Dominate hand and other hand. Makes shooting much more challenging/interesting. Two handed shooting can get a bit boring after awhile. And then there is hip shooting. Moving targets...

Some references:
Gun Blast New Vaquero part 1
Gun Blast New Vaquero part 2

Gun Blast .45 Colt Flattop
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 7, 2018, 02:34 AM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

One of the things I used to practice was to balance a dime on the front sight of my 7.5" .45 Blackhawk (EMPTY GUN!!!) with the hammer cocked, raise it to eye level, aim and dry fire at a target. If the dime came off the gun before the hammer hit the frame, it was a "fail".

One handed hold.
Used to be enjoy ringing the 200yd gong on the rifle range, one hand, offhand, left hand in left hip pocket. Its recreational shooting. Any style you want, all that matters is you enjoy what you're doing. Hitting what you're aiming at makes it even better!
Old March 7, 2018, 09:01 AM   #55
arquebus357

Well...if you must get a Ruger at least make it a Bisley model. They are much nicer.

Ops, forgot, Bisleys are fixed sights. Still though, that low hammer design makes it much easier to cock if your hands are not large.

Last edited by arquebus357; March 7, 2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old March 7, 2018, 01:12 PM   #56
Real Gun

Quote:
Ops, forgot, Bisleys are fixed sights. Still though, that low hammer design makes it much easier to cock if your hands are not large.
The models might be discontinued, but I see various Bisley NMBHs on auctions pictured with the lower hammer. Adjustable sights would be standard.
Old March 7, 2018, 03:01 PM   #57
arquebus357

I thought Bisleys were Vaqueros. Thanks for the correction. They are very nice looking revolvers even with ivory grips.