The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 12, 2016, 08:56 AM   #26
madmo44mag

I have been using a bore snake in my 5.56 rifles for years.
I was very skeptical at first.
I ran the snake with solvent through the bore twice.
Then passed a clean patch down the barrel just to see if the snake did it’s job.
The patch passed through clean.
I followed this procedure for almost a year.
I wash my snake after every other use.
Just warm water and dish soap and let it air dry a couple of days.
Old September 12, 2016, 10:37 AM   #27
tipoc

It's a good point that you can wash bore snakes now and again. I have a small mesh bag to toss them in. The kinda bag people often wash "delicates" in (an old sock will also work). Then the bag goes in the wash with work clothes, dog towels, etc. This keeps the bore snakes from going where the missing socks go. Line dry.

tipoc
Old September 12, 2016, 10:52 AM   #28
FITASC

When I washed mine, they wouldn't go anywhere near momma's washing machine; rather a small bucket with hot water and Dawn (no substitute). Swish around for a few minutes, drain, rinse, drain, hang to dry.

For those who insist on using them in a .223 barrel, do your self a favor and tie a length of paracord to the back loop end. That way, when the pull cord breaks off with the entire snake in the barrel (and it WILL happen), you have a way to remove the snake by going backwards
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 12, 2016, 11:00 AM   #29
madmo44mag

Quote:
For those who insist on using them in a .223 barrel, do your self a favor and tie a length of paracord to the back loop end. That way, when the pull cord breaks off with the entire snake in the barrel (and it WILL happen), you have a way to remove the snake by going backwards
My snakes are long enough if the pull cord broke the snake is still several inches out the other end of the barrel.
My snakes are 36 in plus 32 in pull cord.
They are rifle snakes.
I have often wondered if people use a pistol snake on a rifle and that's why they brake the pull cord off.
Old September 12, 2016, 12:02 PM   #30
FITASC

I haven't seen snakes that long; most can easily break off entirely inside the barrel - and in a .22 or .223, it is real hard to get them out.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 13, 2016, 07:54 AM   #31
johnwilliamson062

A big part of the problem is just people being stupid/cheap. Bore snakes aren't meant to last a lifetime. If it starts to look ragged, replace it.
Old September 13, 2016, 11:53 AM   #32
tipoc

Quote:
I haven't seen snakes that long; most can easily break off entirely inside the barrel - and in a .22 or .223, it is real hard to get them out.
If you are having trouble using the bore snake than a person could stop using them.

It will require more force, some strength, to pull a bore snake through a 20" rifle barrel then through a 5" pistol barrel. This is because of the amount of surface being contacted by the material. More drag on one then the other.

To say that "most break off entirely inside the barrel" is an exaggeration and an obvious one.

WHO OWNS THEM?

The original Boresnake was developed by Michaels of Oregon and sold by Gunmate. I don't know exactly what the relationship was or is. For awhile after this Kroll was selling them under the Boresnake name somehow. Same product. Hoppe's has acquired the product now and has added more variations. They still make the original simple Boresnake but more complicated versions have been added for more money. Stick with the original I think.

Otis also makes a version and their pull through kits are very good.

tipoc
Old September 13, 2016, 12:08 PM   #33
FITASC

Quote:
To say that "most break off entirely inside the barrel" is an exaggeration and an obvious one.
When you take it out of context the way you did, sure.
Old September 13, 2016, 01:02 PM   #34
tipoc

It's not out of context...you said "most break off". I quoted the entire post so it's hard to take that out of context. Maybe you mis-spoke and meant something else or you didn't intend to exaggerate.

Maybe you meant "one broke off on me" or "I heard of them breaking off and so watch out for that" or something else. But you didn't say that, you said..."most break off". Maybe you didn't intend to exaggerate but you did. I can understand that. Here's a smiley face so you know I'm not trying to hound ya.

tipoc
Old September 15, 2016, 01:37 PM   #35
jetinteriorguy

I love bore snakes in my pistols, especially my revolvers. Cleaning the cylinder is usually a pain but so simple with a bore snake.
Old September 15, 2016, 05:47 PM   #36
Mike38

I have five .22LR handguns, four semi auto and one revolver. Cleaning the bore consists of pushing a patch soaked in Hoppe's using a piece of nylon weed eater string, one time. That's it. Multiple tens of thousands of rounds total in these handguns.

Only one of my .22 handguns has had a bronze brush down it's bore, and that's only because I had a squib load that stuck a bullet, and a follow up shot leaded the bore so badly you could no longer see the rifling. Cleaned it all out, no damage, pistol is just as accurate as before. I got lucky.
Old September 15, 2016, 06:24 PM   #37
Ricklin

Bore snake cleaning

I like and use bore snakes. There I said it.

To clean your bore snakes all you need is an empty 1 gallon plastic jug with a screw on cap. Put the snake in the jug or several of them. Add a healthy shot of Dawn dish washing liquid and fill the jug 3/4 full of HOT water. Put cap on jug and shake shake shake. Follow with a couple of HOT water rinses.

Hang em up and let them dry for a couple days,

Like new clean boresnake...no angry wife when she catches you abusing the washing machine.

Hard to beat a boresnake for my trap guns.
Old September 15, 2016, 06:26 PM   #38
FITASC

Quote:
most can easily break off entirely inside the barrel - and in a .22 or .223, it is real hard to get them out.
Tiptoc, let me make it easier for you to see; never said they did, they will, but they CAN..........and IF they do, and the snake is in the barrel completely, you are hosed trying to get it out.
Old September 19, 2016, 11:48 PM   #39
Zepfan54

I use a product called CLP with my Boresnake and it works great! It's a cleaner, lubricant, and protector all in one!i use it long guns, pistols, just about anything where two pieces of metal rub together! I even use it on Leatherman multi tools to keep them operating smoothly!
Old September 20, 2016, 07:09 AM   #40
Eazyeach

Great idea with the milk jug, ricklin. I've been wanting to clean my bore snakes but I was afraid to use the wife's washing machine. You're a life saver.
Old September 20, 2016, 07:45 AM   #41
madmo44mag

As stated my snakes are very long.
I'll see if I can find a tag or makers mark and post it.
I think I got them at Cabela's.
Old September 20, 2016, 09:12 AM   #42
Targa

Thanks for the idea Ricklin.
Old September 20, 2016, 07:37 PM   #43
benEzra

I am a big fan of bore snakes for routine cleaning. I fill the bore with a good foaming bore cleaner, let it sit several minutes, then run the snake through a couple times and call it good. I don't soak the bore snake with anything prior. All of mine are considerably longer than the rifle's barrel. I hang the bore snake to air out afterward. If they get too cruddy, they can be washed with dish soap and water; just rinse well afterward and allow to dry thoroughly.

If I am going to store the gun for a while without shooting it and want to oil the bore, I'll run an oiled patch through the bore with a regular cleaning rod afterward.
Old September 21, 2016, 06:53 AM   #44
claydoctor

Another product I have been using on pistols is RamRodz . They are cotton swaps in specific bore calibers that are on long flexible sticks . The sticks are flexible enough that they can be pushed through the back of the pistol barrel through the ejection port . I spray solvent into the barrel , let it sit, run the boresnake through to loosen things up then run the CLP soaked RamRodz through a couple of times until clean. The swaps are also good for cleaning the feedramp and magazine well . Been using the empty milk jugs for years to clean the snakes.
I checked and the RamRodz do come in .22. I use mostly the 9mm and .45 ones .
Old September 21, 2016, 07:42 AM   #45
cc-hangfire

Back to the OP's question about using a bore snake to clean a .22 handgun. Yes, I too like bore snakes for cleaning handguns. With only 2" to 6" of barrel length, they work well. With CLP they do a fine job cleaning revolvers & semiauto handguns from .22 to .45 caliber.

Probably, you will eventually have to do some lead cleaning with solvent, brushes & patches. Depending on how much you shoot, it could be an annual chore or even several years between that level of cleaning. I've bought a few older, used .22's that had probably never been cleaned and it didn't take long to get the bores cleaned up. And for a plinking .22 handgun, you won't hurt anybody if you always just use a bore snake to clean.
Closed Thread