The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2011, 06:52 AM   #51
Ackley

thanks for that,not bad for a little 243 AI shooting off a home made bench down the fields (you can just see the white target board in the distance)
the rifle on the bench is my Nesika 7mm wsm

just another question if anyone can help how do I inc a quote in my replies,I cant seem to find how to do it on this site
Old February 19, 2011, 10:57 AM   #52
Mal H
Staff

Ackley, the following post found in the Site Questions forum explains quoting (start at post #4):
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323215

About your picture above - is the 500 yard target the white one about 10 to 15 yards to the right of the channel running downrange? Or is there another one further downrange that is hard to see?
Old February 19, 2011, 12:29 PM   #53
Ackley

Quote:
About your picture above - is the 500 yard target the white one about 10 to 15 yards to the right of the channel running downrange? Or is there another one further downrange that is hard to see?
yes thats the target,
Old February 19, 2011, 04:36 PM   #54
TomShiftlet

It looks as if you have a suppressor on your rifle in that pic; are you shooting that distance with a suppressor?
Old February 19, 2011, 05:11 PM   #55
Unclenick
Staff

And I got 1.544" using the program. That small difference with John's measurement can just be how the eyes pick up the edges of the caliper blades. Both are probably equally good shooting. It is simply within probable error to have those kinds of differences in 4 shot groups. Two 10 shot groups will be more consistent, and larger shot numbers still more consistent as outliers of the same magnitude get more chance to show up in each one.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 19, 2011, 05:16 PM   #56
Ackley

Quote:
It looks as if you have a suppressor on your rifle in that pic; are you shooting that distance with a suppressor?
yes mate it is a moderator as we call them over this side of the pond,there very common to use over here in fact some people insist on using them on there land,I swap between a mod and a muzzle brake depending on where Iam hunting with my 7mm but on my 243 AI I use one all the time as its just used as foxing rifle and at night on the lamp it takes the sting out of it if shooting around farms
Old February 19, 2011, 07:10 PM   #57
JohnKSa
Staff

What sort of point of impact shift do you observe when changing between the moderator and muzzle brake and when shooting with no muzzle attachment at all?
Old February 19, 2011, 08:23 PM   #58
Unclenick
Staff

Moderator. I like that. It's more intuitive description of what to expect than "suppressor", which has to be explained to most folk, much less Hollywood's "silencer", which panics the non-cognoscenti in this country into thinking you'll hear nothing but "pffft". Anyone who's pulled targets in the pits knows that isn't even a theoretical possibility with medium and high power rifle rounds.

But I preach to the choir.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 19, 2011, 09:11 PM   #59
Jim243

Nice seeing your still around Ackley. I see your still using your 243AI suppressed. You need to post some of your pictures of the Foxes you have taken. I have not been on California Varmint Hunters site in a long time. Nice seeing you here. (Bigjim)

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; February 19, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old February 20, 2011, 03:43 AM   #60
Ackley

Quote:
What sort of point of impact shift do you observe when changing between the moderator and muzzle brake and when shooting with no muzzle attachment at all?
Hi
with the moderator in the photo which was a very lightweight unit,I got about 1/2 inch difference in POi,
when I was hunting in Africa when I was on my own I swapped to the brake if i was with a PH and a tracker I used the mod,
over here people are striving to make the lightest mod at the min for carry rifles,we have 3 different makers of titainium mods at the moment which are very light but expensive,there is one clown that is selling his for £600