The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
billtheshrink

Problems with IMR 3031 on Dillon 650

I have been trying to adjust the powder bar but the amout thrown was all over the place (literally and figuratively) Called Dillon and was informed IMR 3031 stick powder would never work unless i tapped the hopper after each pull. This sounds a bit extreme top me. With the shortage of powder, i have heard of a POWDER BAffle, bit have no idea if they will solve the stick powder problem.

HELP!!? Anyone have same issues and found a solution?

Thanks
Bill
Old April 23, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
LAH

Quote:
All over the place
How much does the charge vary in weight?
Old April 23, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
sourdough44

I don't have a Dillon but I will say some of those longer stick powders don't flow as well through a powder measure. That would be compared to a shorter stick, ball, or most any other type of powder.

Since there are a lot of choices on the market, this is another factor that should be considered when shopping powder.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
jmorris

I was given a 20# keg of some old long cut 3031. Never had a lot of luck with it in the Dillon measures. Even bought a LNL after reading praises on how the Hornady powder measure does so well with extruded powders. I didn't think it did much better, if any, than the Dillon.

Stick with ball powders like 748, TAC and others and you will be much better off. Almost all IMR powders are extruded.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5
rajbcpa

The Dillon powder measures come complete from the factory with clear plastic powder baffles; right?

I think my Hornady and RCBS powder measures did not include baffles but they are available at an extra cost.

Unfortunately, I don't believe any of these powder measures perform well with stick powders...
Old April 23, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
LAH

I have a RCBS measure & love it. The stick powders do vary a bit but nothing serious.

When I'm serious I set the measure to throw just a bit short & trickle the rest usually from a spoon.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
chiefr

I have never been able to obtain consistant weights with a 550 Dillon powder measure and large stick powders. Yes the tapping will help, but if you want accuracy and consistancy you need ball powders.

These days I rarely use my Dillion for anything but pistols. Although, I have loaded large batches of 223 with TAC.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
valleyforge.1777

So, how do you load IMR 3031 ???
Old April 23, 2013, 11:11 PM   #9
chiefr

So, how do you load IMR 3031 ???

Chargemaster
Old April 24, 2013, 12:44 AM   #10
ballardw

I was taught a long time ago to do more than "tap" the powder measure for the long stick powders. Using a wooden dowel or similar tap repeatedly on the measure's metal case until the powder stops settling. You may be surprised to see just how far the powder will settle. Then setup the measure for the load wanted. Keep the measure more than half full, repeating the settling procedure when adding powder.

Even then I'm still cutting powder and get a couple tenths difference.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:04 AM   #11
jmorris

For 223 and 308 powder bridging at the drop die was the biggest problem for me with the progressives.

I used most of it up on 45-70 loads that don't have that problem.

It did better with my RCBS and Lyman measure.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
billtheshrink

problems with imr and dillon 650

I know if i used and trickle it woudl be ok, buit i dont do that, I load on progressive press. Dillon is gloibng to send me a baffle that seems to be missing and accounting for the looseness of thepowder bar and measure....but he said it wopuld not improver the powder throwing. I will try to atir the powder as one suggested and see if that helps. Also the difference in amouts loaded have varied from 2.0 grains to overflowing the case.

i will try to sell this powder. BUT only if i can get something that will work. I would appreciate the reccomendatuions you guys have for spherical or otherwise LOADABLE powder for rem 223. Thanks guys
Old April 24, 2013, 10:08 AM   #13
rodfac

I've had relatively good luck with my Dillon 550B's and 4064, RE15 and 4895. But I changed out the Dillon measure and used an RCBS Uniflow with Dillon's adapter die. Too, I polished all surfaces the came into contact with the powder.

In use, I size and prime on station #1, then move the case to #2. There, I use the measure's arm to drop the powder charge as the press won't automatically drop it as in normal operations. I still get up to .3 grain fluctuations, but that's the same for any measure with stick powders...true for my Redding as well and plenty good enough for 600 yd slow fire, prone stages.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.