The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 20, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1
FlySubCompact

Age? Old Springfield Arms 20 gage?

I saw an old single shot 20 gage in a pawn shop. It was made by Springfield Arms in Chicopee. I'd heard these are actually Savages. No blueing left, but the bore looked great.

The only number that looked like a serial was inside the receiver where the breech of the barrel sits. At least that is what the shop owner said was the serial. That number was mid 5000's. Any way to find out how old is? Thanks.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Hawg

Stevens/Savage. Stevens dropped the Springfield name on shotguns in 48. Serial numbers weren't required until 68. Very few Stevens/Savages before 68 will have one if any do. Anything over 85.00 IMO is too much. If the stock is cracked it's not worth buying. A new stock will cost more than the gun is worth.
Old August 22, 2012, 04:18 AM   #3
FlySubCompact

Thanks Hawg. I was wondering if I did have a serial....if that could be tied to a year. BTW, the blueing is long gone, but the stock looks great. Locks up tight too.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
PetahW

deleted

Last edited by PetahW; August 28, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Gunplummer

Depends what you want it for. I cut a few down and used them for slug guns. The barrels are still heavy enough to braze or silver solder a scope base right on the barrel. With certain brands of lead slugs, I find most are accurate out to 75 yards. It is the shortest design shotgun you can find for a slug gun to hunt deer in the brush. * If you cut it down yourself, make absolutely sure the muzzle is square with the barrel.