The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 25, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
coastalsteve

Ruger M77 .300 win mag

I am new to this but have a few questions about the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Sporter .300 win mag this has the laminated stock. The first questions is does anyone know if someone is making conversion kits for a detachable magazine for any of the Ruger M77's the other is does anyone know of a company that is making recoil pads that will fit directly onto a Ruger laminated stock (not the compacts/ultra lights). I have done some serious searching on the internet and can't find anything on either item. Hope that someone on here may be able to help.
Old October 25, 2009, 02:53 PM   #2
jmr40

I've seen photos of Rugers in 308 being converted to use detachable mags but seriously doubt if you will find anything for a 300 mag. Limbsaver makes a "grind to fit" pad that could be made to fit your rifle.

You should probably get a gunsmith to fit a good pad for you since the stock will probably be too long if you do not have the stock cut.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:22 PM   #3
coastalsteve

Thanks JMR, I have looked at the limbsaver grind to fit but I am leaning away from that for the exact reasons that you pointed out.
Old October 25, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
DanimalFL

Boy do you need it though Ihad an M77 in 300 win mag and if you shot more than 6-7 times you would anticipating the kick so much you could not be consistantly accurate Nice Rifle though