The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Keltyke

Sorting Brass

Hey guys!

Picking up range brass - got a little bit of everything in the bag. Is there an easy way to sort this stuff, besides trying to read the base of the shell for the caliber? Maybe a diameter or length gauge?

TIA!
Old March 5, 2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Joat

First Link
Second Link
Third Link

Google is your friend.

Joat
Old March 5, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

old fashioned guy

I can recognise most common cases, but I also read the base. Its part of inspecting the brass. And you really only need to do it once as you sort them. You are going to closely inspect the brass before loading, right? Just do it when you sort it.

Relying on a sorting system like the plastic tubs is nice, but I'll save my money, thanks. And besides, no sorter is going to keep a berdan primed case out, only the old Mark I eyeball will do that.

Sort by caliber, sort by headstamp within caliber. You need to look at the cases to do that. Inspect for length, cracks, swelling, unusual marks, dents, etc. You need to look at each case to do that.

Call me old fashioned, but that's what works for me.
Old March 5, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Joat

I am in agreement with you, the bucket brigade is the first step in sorting, not the be all and end all.
The plastic sorters let me segregate the cases by size so when I throw them into the vibro cleaner I don't end up with 9mm in 45 cases.
They each get hand sorted and inspected prior to moving on to the loading bench. I had to sort a 35 gallon drum of brass once, the sorters at least got the brass into "families" before going through the case cleaner. Made the job a little easier.

Joat
Old March 6, 2009, 09:47 AM   #5
jmorris

I built the sorter below. It will even sort .380, 9X18 and 38 super from 9X19. The hopper is larger now and it has plastic bins underneath to catch the brass.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rterhopper.flv
Old March 6, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
kraigwy

Jmorris, that is one impressive machine.

Congrats

Now if you could come up with a brass magnet, you'd be the next Bill Gates.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 6, 2009, 10:12 AM   #7
madmo44mag

I taught my Trunk monkey to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y
Old March 6, 2009, 10:37 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

Hundreds. Of thousands.

Touching each case when sorting allows me at least a chance of culling bad ones.

Yes, it takes forever.
Yes, it matters.
To me.....
Old March 6, 2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Doby45

I sort by caliber and by headstamp..
Old March 6, 2009, 11:36 AM   #10
ragwd

Jmorris, very impressive.
Old March 6, 2009, 06:09 PM   #11
PCJim

JMorris, I've seen that same device used in commercial reloading operations. Very effective. Sometimes requires brass to be rerun thru, but overall very effective.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:55 PM   #12
BigJimP

the shell sorters ( the plastic shaker trays ) work really well - one of the other responders gave you a link. I'm seeing them thru Dillon and a lot of other sources now.
Old March 6, 2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Inspector3711

He's got me thinkin about a low budget bubba sorter now... Black ABS pipe for rollers and operated by a hand crank... I'll come up with something. Bet I can do it for $20..

Trunk monkey! That's a riot!
Old March 6, 2009, 11:10 PM   #14
orionengnr

Quote:
First Link
Second Link
Third Link
Google is your friend.
$40 plus shipping for three glorified plastic colanders.
I think not.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:31 AM   #15
cornbush

+1 to WESHOOT2, I like to sort by hand so I can throw the junk in the scrap bucket. Its not too bad until you sit there for hours on end, 500 to 1000 at a time is good. Went through about 15000 old paper shotgun hulls at my grandpas one weekend, smelled great but took forever.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:20 PM   #16
Sevens

If I had access to a public range and was bringing home brass by the bucket on a regular basis, I'd probably get sick of it. Since I don't, when I do have a supply of brass, I have a blast looking through and sorting all of it.

I sort it all by caliber, then I'll mix similar calibers that are compatible in the tumbler. For example... 10mm and .40 S&W can tumble together, and .38/.357 can tumble together, but I won't tumble 9 and .40 in the same load.

Not until it comes out of the tumbler do I weed out the stuff I don't want.
I weed out anything that's Berdan primed. Then I weed out anything that's A-Merc. And I weed out anything that's not suitable for reloading.

But yeah... I do very much enjoy doing it. It's fun to find odd calibers or uncommon head stamps. I wish I could do it more often... I wish I had a continuous supply of brass to go through. (but yeah, it'd probably get old after awhile)