The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
rwt101

Bullet question?

In looking at different loading data , I see TMJ AND FMJ AND LRN . Now I know what they stand but are they all actually the same? In other words can you use the same powder amount for all of them as long as the size is the same? Because sometimes I see data for LRN and not for the TMJ or the FMJ.
Bob T
Old November 8, 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
44Magnum

No, they are not equivalent. For example, a lead round nose sometimes can't be driven as fast because it will cause leading. The total metal jacket and full metal jacket are usually pretty similar as far as loading practices though, since the only difference being the base being exposed lead on a FMJ.
Old November 8, 2008, 05:33 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

So what do you do?

(I know what I do....)
Old November 8, 2008, 05:40 PM   #4
rwt101

:barf:
Bob T
Old November 8, 2008, 06:21 PM   #5
tom234

Either you have a lead or jacketed bullet. That said, I use the "starting" load data in the weight bullet and type [lead or jacketed] I'm going to shoot and then go from there. Finding a load for a specific bullets is unusual and in my opinion not necessary.
Old November 8, 2008, 06:38 PM   #6
rwt101

What I ran into was there was data on JHP and LRN and I wanted to use TMJ bullets. So what do you use? I suppose the biggest problem is there is not that much data on the 9x18 Mak.
Bob T
Old November 8, 2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Hawg

You can use the data for a JHP with a FMJ or TMJ but not an LRN. Just don't start at the maximum end of the chart. The FMJ and TMJ will have a little more pressure because the weight will be more than a JHP.
Old November 8, 2008, 07:53 PM   #8
rwt101

That helps a lot. Being new brings a lot of questions.
Bob T
Old November 8, 2008, 08:13 PM   #9
kraigwy

Get a reloading manul that list the loads for both lead and jacketed bullets and go from there. Lyman makes a good one, but there are others.

No one new to reloading should very from the listings in reloading manuels.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 8, 2008, 09:31 PM   #10
rwt101

I have the Speer and the Lee Manuel.
Bob T
Old November 8, 2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Sevens

You will find data for jacketed bullets much easier to come by than data for cast lead bullets. Jacketed bullets tend to be quite similar, but lead bullets can be all over the map in shape, size, hardness, concentrically, etc, so many sources of data seem to just skip right over them as if they don't exist.

That makes loading for cast bullets a bit more of an adventure. Often, it's quite annoying. Some of the powder makers work a little harder and give a little more data, others just ignore them and make you figure it out.

A few things I tend to stick to-- these aren't laws or rules, just guidelines that I use that have served me well.

--I'll use JHP data with FMJ bullets of the same weight, because JHP bullets tend to be longer given that there's a hole in the middle and the weight is made up by the length of the bullet. I wouldn't use a JHP of the same weight with FMJ data unless I reduced it accordingly.

--I'll use any jacketed bullet if I have data for a cast bullet of the same weight, but this just doesn't happen very often.

--I almost never, for any reason, use listed max loads unless the max I'm using isn't a max in someone else's published data. The reason? I don't really need maximum velocity in ANY caliber I use... I want accuracy, frugality, longevity. I don't need to hot rod anything I load. One big exception-- handloads in .38 Special that I shoot out of my .357 Mag revolver.

While it's not an instant answer, you can NEVER go wrong by shooting off an e-mail to a powder maker or bullet maker. If you are using either their powder or bullet, they'll often respond to specific questions with regards to load data and starting points. Be specific about the caliber, bullet, powder, firearm, purpose of the load and any other pertinent info. You may not get an answer you can use, but you typically get some kind of answer.
Old November 9, 2008, 05:29 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

Use cast bullet data, by the bullet weight, for the LRN, Use jacketed data, also by weight, for the TMJ's and FMJ's.
A TMJ is a lead core bullet that in completely encased in copper. It's actually a Speer brand name for that type of bullet. A CMJ is the same thing made by Frontier.
An FMJ is a fully jacketed bullet, but not on the base. A commercial fmj isn't the same thing as a military bullet. The jacket is thinner on a commercial fmj.
A JHP is loaded with jacketed data.
"...data on the 9x18 Mak..." Hodgdon's site has data for 90, 95 and 100 grain jacketed bullets. Plus here. http://www.makarov.com/mak04.html.
Here. http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=
Here. http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/makarov/index.html
Do a net search for '9x18 load data'. There's lots of data. Finding bullets easily is another thing though.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:07 AM   #13
44Magnum

I apologize for not giving a more complete answer, but I assumed you knew what to do after finding out that they are not exactly compatible. I should not have made the assumption

Welcome to reloading!!
Old November 9, 2008, 10:20 PM   #14
treg

oops
Old November 12, 2008, 05:14 PM   #15
ForneyRider

I have the Lee book too.

It generally has 3 types of loads in there for pistol. Lead, jacketed and XTP. The XTP are a little more stout.

Something about the sealing properties of lead and jacketed is different, affecting pressure, so you adjust your load accordingly.

Lee data is gathered from industry data. So it should match other resources.
Old November 14, 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

answer

Use a START LOAD from the lowest offered, and work up slow until your specific performance goals are met.

Start with the lowest published choice.