The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 7, 2008, 02:54 AM   #26
#20fan

As a child I looked down the wrong end of a gun and in the blink of an eye my father ended that threat to his family with a very tight 2 shot group to the chest. Lesson learned.
1. I carry because I can
2. I carry for those who can't
3. I carry for those who won't
Old June 7, 2008, 06:54 PM   #27
threegun

Spamanon,

Quote:
Except we all make trade-offs in life, right? For you (I will take a guess) the trade-off stopped at .45 caliber. But someone who insists on carrying a pair of Uzi's could say that you didn't do all you could. Someone who carries a .44 magnum, a Bowie knife and took the time to master the arts of kung fu and Filipino knife fighting could say you didn't do all you could. You see, we each must weigh the odds of ever needing a gun and in what circumstance, the benefits of carrying what we choose, and the drawbacks of our choices to arrive at a decision we deem appropriate for ourselves.
So no, it doesn't seem contradictory to me at all. We must live with what we choose. What seems contradictory is when people don't think about their safety in today's world, and what they can do to protect themselves. But as far as what they decide, as long as they thought about it, and even if I strenuously disagree that their choice is adequate, I say more power to them.
I simply require my carry gun to be able to do what is necessary to stop an attacker should they not give up at the sight of my gun.

IMO the contradiction is both deciding to carry for self defense only to carry a gun not completely capable and deciding there is a need to carry a gun then selectively carrying more and less powerful weapons or no weapon at all.
Old June 7, 2008, 07:17 PM   #28
Moe Howard

Just in case that time were to ever arise that my life or my families life is being threatened I at least want a fighting chance. There are no guarantees but if you have the tools necessary to defend yourself the odds are a little more even.
Old June 7, 2008, 07:20 PM   #29
cschwanz

Because I can. Because this world is going downhill way too fast. Because it is my right. Because I love my life too much. Because there are people in my life I do not want to be without.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old June 7, 2008, 08:12 PM   #30
BikerRN

Because I learned at an early age that there is no safe place and that bad things can happen to good people in nice places.

It's a clique, but it's true.

Biker
Old June 7, 2008, 08:50 PM   #31
exprt9

I got this from another forum
Quote:
"I carry because an LEO will not fit in my pocket!"
Old June 7, 2008, 09:11 PM   #32
Harley User

+1 to all your answers and mine is just as simple as
to protect myself & family from the Bg's.
Old June 7, 2008, 09:15 PM   #33
Breadslinger

For me it was a social issue, not a political one. I carry not because I have the right to carry; but rather that I have the right to live.
Old June 9, 2008, 09:27 AM   #34
MrClean

I like #20fan's post..... something I have always thought about in addition to my own family.... for those who can't or won't carry.

I carry because I see it as my right and responsibility as someone who feels comfortable carrying. Those of us that were brought up and taught correctly about guns and even maybe have had specific training have a 'responsibility' in my opinion to use those skills. I believe God (YES I SAID IT) wants us to protect our family and even others that cannot or choose not to carry because they don't feel comfortable due to lack of training or other reasons.

Would you stand by and watch a little old lady get mugged simply because she doesn't carry a stun gun, taser or big stick? Nope. Do I think EVERYONE should carry? No. If a person isn't comfortable doing that, it's a danger.

Therefore, as law-abiding experienced individuals (or LEO) I see it as a responsibility just as much as anything else. I'm no 'cowboy' and hope and pray (yes, I pray!) that I will never have to take another person's life. However, if it comes to that, I have no issue in pulling the trigger as the last resort. I OWE it to me, my family and others.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old June 9, 2008, 09:44 AM   #35
harleyman959798

kinda my old expression, u are better off to have it and not need it, as opposed to need it and not have it.

the world is getting worse by the day, i may never go through life needing my gun, but i feel safer knowing its there if and when i do
Old June 9, 2008, 10:01 AM   #36
SilentHitz

I carry because MrClean is dangerous, he lives in the same house with four women....since 3 are teenagers, hell he could snap at any moment!
Old June 9, 2008, 03:13 PM   #37
LanceOregon

Quote:
Why do some folks voluntarily carry mouse gun caliber handguns?
I think that you are overstating this issue. I cannot even recall any folks here on this forum saying that they rely on a 22 or 25 pocket pistol.

Anything from .380 up can be effective. There are .380 loads that can easily match .38 Special performance. And with .380 pistols like the new Ruger LCP being so tiny and lightweight now, it is rather hard to argue that there is any benefit of any kind in going with a smaller caliber now.

Old June 9, 2008, 07:19 PM   #38
threegun

LanceO,
Quote:
I cannot even recall any folks here on this forum saying that they rely on a 22 or 25 pocket pistol.
There is a segment on TFL who believe that there is little or no difference, in terms of self preservation with a firearm, between a mouse gun 22/25 and heavier calibers 38 and up. They tout statistics that show most criminals flee at the mere sight of a gun or after a few rounds are fired even if none of the rounds would have forced incapacitation. I just worry that this statistical shell game, by very reputable members, is going to steer folks who would have carried bigger to carry smaller. Then when that already rare event does happen in its most rare form ( a criminal who needs to be put down forcefully by gun fire) they don't have enough gun.
Old June 9, 2008, 07:33 PM   #39
MeekAndMild

Why carry a gun? A light gun weighs 13 ounces plus ammo. A police officer weighs on the average about 200 pounds. You could get a hernia carrying a cop all day.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old June 9, 2008, 08:13 PM   #40
MauiDoc

Would if I could, for all the above reasons.

Can't CC or OC here; if I could, it would be for all the above-stated reasons (except the fist-in-mouth-kid--no rug varmints yet!), and because I feel that it is a human right, not a civil right, to defend myself against malevolent forces in the universe, using equal or greater force for such defense.

Mostly, I just use The Force.
Old June 10, 2008, 02:23 PM   #41
The Great Mahoo

I carry mainly for two reasons:

1.) As others have stated so simply, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

2.) The more people who carry, the more BG's have to stop and think if it is worth risking attacking an armed person, or someone near an armed person willing to help. Should everyone have and carry a firearm? No. Should more people carry? Only if they willing to accept the responsibility of safe, legal defense.
Old June 10, 2008, 02:27 PM   #42
Wuchak

Because I cannot throw a 125gr piece of lead 1400fps without some help.
Old June 10, 2008, 03:42 PM   #43
LanceOregon

Quote:
Why carry a gun? A light gun weighs 13 ounces plus ammo. A police officer weighs on the average about 200 pounds. You could get a hernia carrying a cop all day.
Good point. And a hernia operation is no fun at all, believe me!

Old June 10, 2008, 03:53 PM   #44
LanceOregon

Quote:
There is a segment on TFL who believe that there is little or no difference, in terms of self preservation with a firearm, between a mouse gun 22/25 and heavier calibers 38 and up. They tout statistics that show most criminals flee at the mere sight of a gun or after a few rounds are fired even if none of the rounds would have forced incapacitation.
Well, to a certain extent, that is a valid point to make. I carry a Taser myself, and feel confident that I could use it to handle many self-defense scenarios. Just the sight of a taser aimed at an attacker, with its laser sight shining on them, could stop any aggression being threatened.

However, I also know that there are circumstances when a Taser is not enough. So if my Taser is inadequate to the task, I certainly DON'T want to bring something like a .25 to the fight. So 9mm is the lowest caliber that I'm personally comfortable with carrying.

Carrying two concealed weapons is a bit of a pain. But I like having a far less dangerous and deadly option available to me.

Old June 10, 2008, 05:41 PM   #45
threegun

I'll carry any caliber capable of deep penetration and bone smashing.

You carry two weapons. I carry one (thinking about adding a kimber guardian angle) right now. I'm only 5'7" and can easily conceal a full sized Glock 21 if I wanted to. I find it hard to believe that folks can't conceal many of the mid sized handguns offered in heavier calibers. I believe they opt to carry smaller form laziness and to some extent from being encouraged by the bold talk on TFL. Some folks simply can't handle bigger or can't conceal bigger because of forced attire and those folks have no choice. The rest are IMO walking contradictions.
Old June 10, 2008, 05:55 PM   #46
threegun

We are talking about the possibility of dying if we fail in a armed conflict. Why folks would willingly revert to the lowest possible denominator (caliber wise) is baffling.

When a customer asks about different guns I always give them BOTH sides of the argument. Most have no idea about the dynamics of a gunfight. How accuracy declines. How a cartridge might be forced to penetrate at angles due to a moving target. How dexterity is compromised. Some senses are lost and others acute. How time seems to slow. Many choose a bigger caliber after simply being told about the Four ways to stop a BG. Brain hit, upper spinal cord, quiting, or blood loss.
Old June 12, 2008, 01:46 AM   #47
Ifishsum

Oh....I need a reason?
Old June 16, 2008, 03:13 AM   #48
Elvishead

I moved to Las Vegas.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:39 AM   #49
rampage841512

To answer the first question: I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. In other words, you want to be taken care of then take care of yourself.

To answer the second: I can comfortably carry a full size .45 automatic (my first carry gun was a full size HK USP in .45 and my current is a 1911 in .45). I've also carried a 9mm P2000sk. I loved all those guns, but not everyone can carry the same things comfortably. I'd rather a person have it when they need it, and comfort is going to be an issue. And let's face it, the .22 has killed a lot of folks over the years.
Old June 30, 2008, 09:45 AM   #50
the_pragmaticist

I carry because I have seen evil in action and I would never forgive myself if I was powerless to stop it in the future.

As for caliber...I'm willing to bet that a .45 looks like a 20mm cannon from the business end, and I secretly hope that simple fear of the cannon will end any situation that requires me to draw. That said, it also packs a wallop if the sight alone doesn't convince the aggressor to back down.

People have very legitimate reasons for their mouse guns though. I've not heard anyone trying to convince us that a .25 is better all around, just that it is sometimes appropriate.
Closed Thread