The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 22, 2002, 10:17 AM   #1
hsg2001

Winchester Super X2

Anybody own or have shot one of these? Specifically the Pratical MK II that just came out.

My boss shot a 3-gun match done by soldier of fortune out west earlier this month and had a chance to shoot one. He seemed to think it had half the recoil of his Benelli and was lightning fast.

Just fishing for other folk's thoughts.

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi..._practical.htm
Old July 23, 2002, 11:40 AM   #2
Kobra

Maybe not the exact information you were looking for but I have shot my SBE against my buddies X2 on a little informal clay shooting with 2 3/4" and 3 1/2" shells. The X2 does kick less but it is substantially heavier in feel to me than my SBE. I did have an easier time busting clays with it that day, now I can do just as good as I can with my SBE as I do with his X2. I would rather suck up some more recoil than lug his big gun around. Incidentally he is in a wheelchair so he carries his around less.
Old July 23, 2002, 07:40 PM   #3
TurboRocket

From what I understand, Winchester built the Super X2 Practical specifically for 3-gun shooters. They took feedback from top 3-gun shooters and came up with the Practical config.

The gas operation system of the Super X2 should certainly produce less felt recoil than the inertia recoil system of the Benelli. I own Benellis but have only handled at Super X2 Practical. I like the Practical but, I will stick with Benelli for just due to personal preference. I am looking at Fabarm though, to keep the Benellis company.

TurboRocket
Old July 23, 2002, 10:21 PM   #4
Romulus

I heard lots of good things about the Practical X2 from a friend who owns one...when they start making them with steel receivers, I'll get me one

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old July 26, 2002, 01:15 PM   #5
hsg2001

Well, recoil has never bothered me. I don't even think about it - maybe my boss will pick one up (he's made of money) and let me shoot it.

Old July 30, 2002, 09:45 AM   #6
retiredsquid

I have the field grade Super X2 and am very pleased with its operation thus far. It works fine for the Sporting Clays course, too.
Regards,
Rich
Old August 2, 2002, 10:40 AM   #7
wakal

I have one of the first run of Practical's with the rifle sights (handled the ghost ring version at SHOT, but didn't care for them). Seems fast, accurate, and comfortable, but I'm a 3-gun guy and not overly familiar with those flying round things :b

Friend of mine is working up a Browning Gold Fusion with a 10-round mag tube (mmm....Briley...). Handles about the same as my Practical, but his is much more...ummm...pretty. That first-round autoload feature is neat.

Alex
Old August 2, 2002, 04:10 PM   #8
HSMITH

I too have a sporting type X2, with a 3.5" chamber. It is dead solid, shoots well and once I learned what it needed for lube and care runs like a swiss watch. As long as you do not try to run it dry, like I did, it will cycle. I regularly shoot 7/8 oz @1175 fps up to 2 oz @1300fps through mine, all work fine. If you load for yours use slower powders on the light loads even though they are dirty. The gun will run great absolutely filthy, but without pressure down-tube it will not run at all regardless of condition. I could not ask for more in a shotgun. It made 4 other shotguns in my rack obsolete, if it needs doing the X2 can do it and do it well.

BTW, mine has gone over 5000 rounds between cleanings, just a couple drops of oil on the bolt rails and wipe the mag tube off every thousand rounds or so. If the rails get dry it will get sluggish. When it slows down you oil. If you do not oil it will go about 1200 before it starts FTF problems. Over 200 were 3.5" steel shot in hunting conditions too.