The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 22, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
jchurchwell

Cleaning solvent

Need some help. What is a good solvent to use for soaking my metal gun parts in so they will clean up easier. Where do I find it, and what does it cost. Can't seem to find anything at Walmart or Academy. Thanks for any help!
Old March 22, 2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Lucas McCain

Denatured Mineral Spirits. Pick it up any where paint is sold
Old March 23, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3
jchurchwell

Thanks for that reply! I had thought about that, but wasn't sure. Thanks again!
Old March 23, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Strafer Gott

I've been using Ballistol and a toothbrush with good results. I found mine at the LGS. I cut it with water for my cap and ball guns, too.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:07 PM   #5
alex0535

Mineral spirits or naphtha both work well.

I have heard of people using kerosene to soak, or gasoline when kerosene just doesn't cut it.

Advise you to blow the parts off with an air compressor. These solvents are very flammable. If you do not have an air compressor I would just leave them somewhere sunny or warm. Use these solvents outside so your house doesn't smell like solvent.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6
abherbitter

If you don't have an air compressor you can always buy that air-in-a-can stuff they sell for blowing dust off of electronics. They sell a 3-pack at my local Office Depot and that's part of my cleaning kit. When I go to clean off my solvent, no matter how good a job I do, that strong compressed air manages to blow a micro-thin layer of it off the metal.

As you use it the can will get cold. As the can get's cold the pressure goes down and it won't blow as well. Run it under hot water to solve this problem.

I've also used WD-40 (followed by solvent and then compressed air before using REAL gun oil) with good success as a de-greaser/cleaner for my gun parts.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Doyle

If they are all-metal, then plain old brake cleaner is great. However, since it removes oil down to the micoscopic level you must replace that protection as soon as you dry it off or it can start to rust.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:53 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

Mineral spirits or kerosene. In fact, Ed's Red bore cleaner formula includes both.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 25, 2013, 01:18 PM   #9
abherbitter

NWPilgrim:
Quote:
Mineral spirits or kerosene. In fact, Ed's Red bore cleaner formula includes both.
Hoppe's No. 9 is similar. It's kerosene, ethyl alcohol, oleic acid, amyl acetate, and ammonia.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

gun care products...

For products, gun-care see: www.cylinder-slide.com www.brownells.com www.mpro7.com www.slip2000.com www.gunzilla.us www.midwayusa.com www.weaponshield.com .
Ballistol is great for general cleaning, field use. It's non toxic & CFC free.
I do not soak gun parts but I've heard a lot of + buzz about Cylinder & Slides Dunk-it kit.
For cleaning, oil; I'd buy some Gunzilla, Weaponshield, LPX or Birchwood Casey's Synthetic Gun Cleaner.

CF