The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 14, 2013, 04:44 AM   #1
okiewita40

Mosin M44 possible buy

Hey all just looking towards you all for some idea's. I have a co-worker wanting to part with a Mosin M44. He says that the rear sight has been removed. Part of the stock and handguard have been cut back.

I will make sure to look at the bore for rust and pitting before I make any kind decision. All of this for only a C-note.

Let me know what you all think. As I know it will take some work and some money to get into a decent shooting shape.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:14 AM   #2
bejay

would probably pass on it, think would rather buy one complete even if it cost a little more.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:48 AM   #3
BoogieMan

They can usually be had for $150-200 complete in fair (for a mosin) condition. Figure that you will spend $20 for a sight at a flea market or online, another $30-40 for the stock, $20 for a cleaning kit, etc... Then you have to add on s&h for each of those items if they are not local. If you just want to shoot it the way it is or use it for parts its only $100. IMO anything that will go band for that kind of money is a bargain.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
DE Shooter

Ask him to let you try it. If you like it buy it. Just make sure he has fired it before or you know it is safe. It would be a parts gun to a collector but if you're lookin for a shooter and you like it; $100 is fair. Just make sure it is safe to fire. The rear sight may end up being a problem; hard to tell without pics.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:04 PM   #5
sholling

People sometimes replace the rear sight with a scope mount. The good news is a quick look online shows the rear sight selling for $20, the stock for $65, and a handguard for $25 app plus shipping. The price of M44s and M38s have been going up the last few years but I'd look around and see what a nice example costs in your area before pulling the trigger.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Justice06RR

Check with him to make sure it is functioning properly. Test fire it if possible. For $100, its a decent deal. There are plenty of Mosin accesories you can buy and upgrade to. Ammo is also still rather cheap.