The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 1, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
tahunua001

enfield stock bolt

hello all.
I have been in the process of bubba-izing an enfield number 4 MK1 that I assembled from a stack of loose parts into a sporterized 45ACP carbine. I have everything I need to make it work except for the stock bolt holding the butt stock on. a perusal of evilbay, gunbroker and google shopping revealed no places to order from. since this is going to be a bubba gun I don't need anything period correct, I just something that will do the job. anyone know where I can grab one?
Old June 1, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
wogpotter

Try SARCO in NJ, (now moved to PA), Numrich arms (E-GUNPARTS.COM), or "Springfield Sporters".

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 1, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3
LkWd_Don

Not knowing how thick the stock is at the point the screw needs to be. I can only suggest something of this nature.

Self-setting sleeve nuts http://profhdwr.com/55008.htm

T-nuts http://www.americanfastener.com/fasteners/nuts.asp

Shallow depth PEM nuts http://milspecfastenerscorporation.t...pem-inserts-2?

These are not the only self-seating nut for wood, but are some that allows the use of a Machine Screw and if the screw is too long, carefully scribe where it penetrates beyond the nut, remove the screw and then carefully cut it or use a shorter screw. Having done this type of custom screw length cutting, my advice is to put a regular nut on the screw up close to the head so that after cutting, cleaning and shaping the cut end, you can remove the nut to help clean out the threads where you cut it.

Unless you can find the 2 piece Screw/sleeve combination. I tried to find an American site to give you idea of the long sleeve nuts that are a part of the two piece units and this is the best I can do. http://www.tandsarchitectural.co.uk/...=5145&feedID=1

At least you will have an idea of what you might look for.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Scorch

http://www.sarcoinc.com/l13.html
Old June 1, 2012, 05:50 PM   #5
tahunua001

thanks for all the replies you guys. I looked at all of the links but sadly none of them had pretty pictures to look at and having ordered the wrong thing for a few guns in the past I would rather inspect before I buy so I went a slightly different route. I took the stock bolt out of my savage MK1* and took it to the local ACE hardware and got the closest equivalent that was about 1/4" shorter with a socket head on it and took a hack saw to it to turn it into a flat head screw head. not something I would recommend for a safe queen but for my purposes it worked out well
Old June 2, 2012, 10:14 PM   #6
gyvel

Numrich has the correct bolt stock for a whopping $3.20. Here's the part #: 489400B.

Edit: If you order the part over the internet, the shipping is free, but you have to call after hours to get the shipping discount code.

Also, the bolt washer is a standard split washer you probably have laying around in your garage.

Last edited by gyvel; June 3, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old June 3, 2012, 07:09 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Go to http://www.sarcoinc.com/le4.html and order these parts.

LE4043 Stock Bolt
LE4044 Stock Bolt Lock Washer

These are for the No4. Do not order the No1 stock bolt.
Old June 3, 2012, 11:20 PM   #8
chiefr

Do you have a tap and die set?
Old June 3, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
tahunua001

no all I needed was an existing bolt to compare to, in this case it was the bolt from an enfield NO4 already in my collection. with that in hand I went to ace hardware where I determined the bolts diameter and thread size and then I just had to find a bolt of similar length. the only bolts available that met those parameters had socket heads so I took a hacksaw to the center of the bolt head and turned it into a flat head screwdriver bolt. it fits the stock perfectly. and since it's located inside the stock behind the floor plate it does nothing to diminish the appearance of the gun.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:33 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

You well not find a British thread bolt at the local hardware store. It's not a metric or US thread size.
Old June 4, 2012, 01:40 PM   #11
wogpotter

You found a 7/16" BSW (14tpi British Standard Whitworth) bolt at a hardware store?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

Or was it a metric that kinda-sorta fits

Old June 4, 2012, 03:40 PM   #12
tahunua001

I no longer recall the thread size but the bolt and threads seemed to fit perfectly. no stripping or wobble to be noticed. I think it was a 7/16" bolt and size 14 threads but that could be wrong.
Old June 5, 2012, 01:59 AM   #13
LkWd_Don

Interesting, 14tpi may be a British threading but it is also a standard sae course thread. 16tpi is most common for bolts 3/8ths and larger but 14tpi is still available and though I can not recall the metric equivalent, I think there is a 10mm bolt with a tread very close to a 14tpi (maybe a 1.25) that would not seem to be wrong when compared to an actual 7/16th x 14tpi. Maybe a hair sloppy, that would be it.

EDIT: According to http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.shtml SAE and the British Standard Whitworth are the same thread design.
Quote:
Like U.S. threads, three families of threads were developed; a miniature series known as BA or British Association, a coarse thread series known as BSW or British Standard Whitworth and a fine thread series known as BSF or British Standard Fine. The U.S. equivalents would be the Unified Thread System, formally known as the American Standard but renamed in 1949.
1.The SAE number series would be equivalent to the BA series
2.SAE UNC or Unified National Coarse is the counterpart to BSW
3.SAE UNF Unified National Fine is equivalent to BSF.

Last edited by LkWd_Don; June 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:43 AM   #14
wogpotter

The thing to remember is that the shape of the thread (thread form) matters too, not just the diameter & tpi.