The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
DigerDog

209 Primers in an inline ML

Good morning all. This is my first post and I must say I love the comments and threads here.

I have a Knight .50 cal Rolling Block and have been using Winchester 209 Primers. On occasion I will have a primer not go off. With my ML's I use Pyrodex (power - not pellets). It is common for the 209 primer not to ignite on occasion?

When this happens, the primer will not ignite. I take the old primer out and put in another one. Most of the time the second one works.

I guess my questions is - are 209 primers not 100% accurate and do any of you have issues with dud 209's? If so, is it an issue with the Winchester primers and is there a primer youwould recommend that is more reliable.

Thank You
Old November 30, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Pahoo

When I have to use them, I have found them to be very reliable. You might want to start troubleshooting your M/L. What happens when you try the ones did not ignite, a second time. Perhaps other posts can shed more light on this problem. Might help to specify the model you have. Is it the Revolution?

Be Safe !!!
Old November 30, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
DigerDog

I have the Knight .50 cal Rolling Block inline. When I look at the primer after it doesn't goes off, the primer has a dimple on it so I know the pin is hitting the primer.
Old November 30, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Springfield Kid

Some primers take a harder strike to lite than others ...you might try another brand .
Old November 30, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
arcticap

I agree with Pahoo that the problem is with the KRB rifle and not with the primers.
Just because the primer is hit doesn't mean that it's being hit hard enough.
IIRC I've read about similar problems with that Knight model as well as some of their other models.
Some primers have different lengths but the Winchester T7 primer is one of the longest ones. And while there may be different levels of sensitivity with some primers, but that really shouldn't be an issue.
Can you back out your breech plug very slightly to see if that would create stronger impact between the firing pin and primer?
If that doesn't make any difference then I suggest to send it in to Knight to see if they can fix the problem.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
simonkenton

209 primers are reliable as hell.
I have fired hundreds of them and never had a misfire.

Of course, I have a Savage muzzleloader.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
DigerDog

Thanks for the input guys. 99% of the time it works well. It's just the 1% of the time that is driving me nuts.
Old December 4, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
BIGR

Bad thing about it is its going to be that 1% time when ol big monster buck walks up. I must say I have shot hundreds of 209 primers in muzlleloaders and I cannot recall one failing to fire. I did have a misfire (thank goodness it was at the range) this year with my Omega but I think I my breech plug hole was not clean enough because the primer did go off.