The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Zhillsauditor

Lee Auto Disk

Hey all,

I've successfully used the Lee Auto Disk powder measure for 9mm, but recently gotten into 380s. The start load for my powder of choice, Accurate #2, is 3.3 grains, and lee suggests using the .27 cavity.

However, I do not have a .27 cavity. The disks go to .30. I tried the .30 and got something just over the maximum of 3.9 grains (per Lyman, 3.7 per Lee). So, my question is this: I like Lee's auto disk system; how should I adjust it to produce something between 3.3 (or lower) and 3.7-9 grains of Acc#2?

Lee has a double disk system, a micro disk, and a charge bar. It looks like the micro disk goes to a .25 cavity. Perhaps two micro disks and the double disk system?

Anyone have any experience and wisdom to impart?

Thanks,
Brian
Old November 9, 2008, 08:08 PM   #2
rwt101

I have the charge bar. I think it goes down to 2.1, I am not positive though. I was using the discs but I like the charge bar better. I am loading 9x18 Mak. I am fairly new to reloading.
Bob T
Old November 9, 2008, 08:12 PM   #3
DaveInPA

I would try the adjustable charge bar. I believe the double disk kit is geared more towards people reloading rifle ammo, and therefore needing a larger powder charge than any of the single disks can provide.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:32 PM   #4
benzuncle

Zhills, I load 380's with the Pro-Auto Disk Powder Dispenser. I use HP-38 so some of my info will be skewed. I load 95gr bullets with 2.9gr of powder using the .30 disk. The .32 yields 3.1gr and the .27 disk yields 2.7gr. The type of powder, ball, flake, etc will have an impact on how well the disk holes work.

As for the Charge Bar. It doesn't work well with the smaller charges, like the 380. The configuration of the hole doesn't seem to get over the drop hole and drop the charge consistently with small charges. But the Charge Bar works great for larger grain amounts. I use one for 45acp charges that are in between the disk hole charges with very good success.

A guess: Zephyr Hills?
Old November 9, 2008, 09:46 PM   #5
RidgwayCO

For small charges of powders in the .380 Auto, you want the Lee Micro Disk Conversion Unit. It's mounted on the Auto Disk powder measure in place of a standard disk. The cavity sizes are .12cc, .15cc, .18cc, .21cc, .24cc and .27cc.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=441523

I'm surprised you're having problems with AA #2 however. The .34cc cavity gives me 3.4gr of AA #2, which is my standard .380 load for Speer 90gr GDHPs and Hornady 90gr HP/XTPs. The .27cc cavity (micro disk) gives 2.6gr of AA #2, resulting in a comfortable and accurate load with 95gr LRN bullets.

I know there are VMD variations between powder lots of the same powder, but the weights you're reporting still seem kind of high.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:47 PM   #6
CowTowner

I had problems with the adjustable charge bar as well as the issue you already have seen. The solution was the Lee Micro Disk. Loads .380 just dandy every time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=441523
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 9, 2008, 10:07 PM   #7
amamnn

If you use the Lee auto anykind disk for small powder drops like the .380 be very very sure to double check that you are actually getting the full amount dropped, especially if you are starting at minimum charge weights. The Lee system is quite susceptible to bridging when you use the smaller chambers/openings to drop flake powders. In smaller powder charges it is easier to end up with a squib because of a lack of a few tenths of a grain.

I've used the Lee auto disk for years and it has worked quite well for dropping powder charges over 4 grains. I quit using it for my smaller caliber loads after catching several potential squibs over the years. The problem is not unique to Lee's products, any volumetric powder measure can bridge when you have that situation. Most use a baffle to try to stop bridging, Lee uses a "sticky" die to jostle the powder in the reservoir on the return stroke of the ram. I even added an RCBS baffle to my auto disk and ran ground mica through it to seal and lubricate the moving parts. This seemed to help, but I had two more light drops some time after and that's when I stopped trying to use it for the little caliber loads.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Zhillsauditor

>A guess: Zephyr Hills?

That's right, except all one word. The land of clean water.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:09 PM   #9
ShootingNut

Amamnn

Found the same thing as you, didn't matter if I used a disk or charge bar, loading the 9mm's I had to really watch it. Actually I run my Lee Turret as a single stage, run a batch of the 9's and light the group before seating my bullet. My Lee powder equipment will give me a squib load every now and then, so this is how I have totally eliminated the problem. I don't race to see how many per hour I can crank out, rather be accurate. Hate pounding lead out of my barrel!
No real problem with any of my other calibers up to .45's.
Regards,
SN
Old November 16, 2008, 08:53 PM   #10
gunovice

For .380 I switched to Red Dot, which is a low density powder. I can use a volume of .37 or so with Red Dot. Be VERY careful of bridging. Fortunately, you can simply look in the case to see if the full load has been deposited.