The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 1, 2008, 01:52 AM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Longest turkey shot?

I was curious if anyone has taken a turkey at "long range", something over 50 yards maybe? With a shot gun.
Old October 1, 2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

My buddy took one this spring at 69 or 70 yards. He had no idea it was that long of a shot when he took it. Figured it was 55 to 60 yards tops. Anyway - after the shot, we verified the distance with two different range finders. One read 69 yards the other read 70 yards.

He used a NEF 3.5" 12 ga and Winchester Supremes. The pattern held out to 70 yards but I wouldn't have bet on a kill at 75 yards.
Old October 1, 2008, 07:20 AM   #3
cat9x

3.5" Federal Flightcontrol #6's at 52 yards. I also misjudged the turkey's distance believing him to be more near 45. I now rangefind landmarks in my hunting locations so that I do not shoot over 50. I think going out at ridiculous ranges brings up an ethical debate.

Here's a picture post about my pattern's...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=311852&page=2
Old October 1, 2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I think going out at ridiculous ranges brings up an ethical debate.
I think that is a very good point. The bird my buddy took at 70 yards would not have been taken had he realized the distance was that far. Had he ranged it prior or if he gets a second shot at that distance he won't take it again. In my mind anyway, 60 yards is limit to shooting a turkey.
Old October 1, 2008, 10:41 AM   #5
NRA4life

63 yards. A desperation shot after a couple hens outed me at 8 yards with an alarm put. I too misjudged in the early morning when it was foggy. I thought 45-ish. Gun was a single shot 12 ga, 3" mag # 4's. Big tom, 24 lbs. He got up before I could reload and I didn't find him until a couple hours later when I jumped him in a creek bed.
Old October 1, 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
VaFisher

Most I have done would be at 50 yards and I think that would be about as far as I would take a ethical shot. In fact I was surprized how well the pattern did at that range, several shot in his head and neck so did pretty good job. Never did shoot targets out that far because I never thought of taking that long of a shot. Now I know it's okay at that range but like them up close myself so it would be rare ever to do that again.
Old October 2, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
bcarver

35 yards

I would say 35 would be the farthest I shot a bird.

What is an ethical shot distance?
Depends on the gun,shot, shooter and bird.

If bird is nervous or moving You should limit the range of shots.

If the gun patterns poorly, shots should be limited.

If shot is too small for a clean kill shot should be limited.

If you have not patterned your gun with that shell at that distance you should not make the shot.

If the bird ain't floppin' then you missed or it was too far.