The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 1, 2018, 05:42 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

FedEx drops NRA discount

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1N425N

This was announced a couple of days ago but I held off posting until I had permission from the mods to post, since it's not strictly gun-related. I have seen this discussed on another forum, and opinions are about equally divided as to whether this is another case of targeting the NRA, or a case of FedEx dropping multiple discount programs that don't generate enough business (although, if the discount is there and nobody uses it, what can it possibly hurt?), or a case of FedEx shedding all discounts for groups that could be construed as "political."

I don't know the motive, but it does appear more than coincidental that, just before a contentious mid-term election, FedEx announced this change in their discount program.
Old November 1, 2018, 06:10 AM   #2
RETG

Never knew they offered a discount.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old November 1, 2018, 06:26 AM   #3
unclejack37

Quote:
I don't know the motive, but it does appear more than coincidental that, just before a contentious mid-term election, FedEx announced this change in their discount program.
I read about that on Bearing Arms and the first thing I asked myself was what statement did FEDEX just make? It wasn't like Dick's announcement or Bank of America or Levi's. IMHO I believe it was a business decision to cut cost.
Old November 1, 2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Given that FedEx is dropping discounts with more that ONE HUNDRED organizations, if they are 'targeting the NRA' then they are doing via their own massing shooting. That sounds a little ridiculous. No indication that it has anything to do with the elections either without being able to tie the other dozens of organizations cut.
Old November 1, 2018, 09:22 AM   #5
jag2

Just a business decision, not political. Quit trying to read conspiracy every time a company makes an announcement. You may not agree with Dick's but they made their decision and clearly stated why.
Old November 1, 2018, 09:54 AM   #6
USNRet93

Quote:
FedEx sent this statement to Local 24 News:

“We are transitioning some account holders in more than 100 organizations in the FedEx Marketing Alliance program to other pricing programs. Account holders that participated in the program will continue to receive the same discounts on FedEx shipping, and we will work directly with these customers to ensure a seamless transition.”
https://www.localmemphis.com/news/lo...nra/1562473004

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 1, 2018, 10:13 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

Nothing like another conspiracy theory. Just another partial truth without the whole story.
Old November 1, 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Onward Allusion

<sigh> It's a big nothing burger . . .
Old November 1, 2018, 03:09 PM   #9
5whiskey

I agree, nothing to it. Not that I ever used Fedex anyway, but sounds like purely a business decision.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 1, 2018, 08:35 PM   #10
rickyrick

If they did it for political gain they would be shouting it from the Highest of places with the greatest of heralds.
Doesn’t hurt them to cut the discount in this political atmosphere either, but not the intention here anyway.
Old November 4, 2018, 12:12 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Nothing more to be said then.

Let it die.