The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2017, 01:58 AM   #26
Smerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
I'd stay with the .40 (and no, it's not in any danger of obsolescence). Instead, get into reloading your own ammunition for it. Loading your own, will save you a bunch after the initial investment, and is a fun part of shooting all on its own.

You can fine tune your loads for target, carry, hunting, whatever...accuracy, blasting, as you see fit. Lead vs. jacketed; hp's vs. FMJ's. It's all there for you...and it's easy to learn, with all the help of the internet crowd and a good manual...Lyman's, for instance, you've got good sources for everything you need to know.

HTH's Rod
I live in an apartment and just dont have the room to reload and right now I dont have the money to get started.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:08 AM   #27
Walt Sherrill

In which case, consider buying in BULK. I use Natchez Shooter's Supply and Georgia Arms for my shooting (range) needs, and their prices are reasonable. Shipping may be the deal breaker for you -- so you've got to find a good vendor close to home.
Old December 10, 2017, 01:06 PM   #28
Smerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
In which case, consider buying in BULK. I use Natchez Shooter's Supply and Georgia Arms for my shooting (range) needs, and their prices are reasonable. Shipping may be the deal breaker for you -- so you've got to find a good vendor close to home.
So far Ive been using targetsportsusa.com and have been really happy with them, I took advantage of their ammo prime membership so I save more and get free shipping on all orders.
Old December 11, 2017, 10:26 AM   #29
Walt Sherrill

Get the conversion barrel and just keep doing what you're doing.

I don't reload, either, but probably because I don't want to spend my time doing that -- and don't know where I'd set up the equipment. If I were shooting more, I might make a bigger effort to get into my own reloading gear, but... it would probably be DILLON gear, and that can add up.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:24 PM   #30
Smerks

Quote:
Get the conversion barrel and just keep doing what you're doing.

I don't reload, either, but probably because I don't want to spend my time doing that -- and don't know where I'd set up the equipment. If I were shooting more, I might make a bigger effort to get into my own reloading gear, but... it would probably be DILLON gear, and that can add up.
I just ordered it since it is now off backorder so I should have it by end of the week from what I see their shipping schedule is. I also didnt like the idea of them holding my money for months Ive been burned before in situations where I did that so Im pretty happy now.

I shoot weekly with my wife and we have been limiting ourselves to about 100-150 rounds between us. Id definitely love to reload but I dont have the space and to be honest I dont know if I have the patience/motivation for collecting my brass every time. Im going to look into what the cost of buying brass and everything would come out to that way just to know the cost vs just buying ammo online. Lately Ive been buying steel case ammo at around $140-150 a case of 9mm shipped and it hasnt given me a problem so far.
Old December 16, 2017, 08:35 AM   #31
rburch

Quote:
just buy FN's 9mm conversion kit.
Quote:
Its somewhere around $400 Ive been told so I can buy a new gun for less than that.
They are right at $300 from Midwest Gun Works I know that's more than the barrels, but that response was more to the suggestion of buying an FNS9.

Interestingly the 9mm to 40 conversion is on sale for $199 at the moment.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 16, 2017, 10:28 AM   #32
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerks
I just ordered it since it is now off backorder so I should have it by end of the week from what I see their shipping schedule is. I also didnt like the idea of them holding my money for months Ive been burned before in situations where I did that so Im pretty happy now.
When I got my 40>9 barrel, they didn't require advance payment. They just notified me by email when the barrels were finally in stock, and I ordered one -- and got it very quickly.

As noted before, I also got their Browning Hi-Power barrel some years back and have been VERY satisfied with that product, as well. It's a beautiful barrel that performs at LEAST as well as the original factory barrel (which somehow got damaged, with rifling messed up mid-barrel... Don't think it was anything I did.)
Old December 22, 2017, 03:33 PM   #33
Smerks

Quote:
When I got my 40>9 barrel, they didn't require advance payment. They just notified me by email when the barrels were finally in stock, and I ordered one -- and got it very quickly.

As noted before, I also got their Browning Hi-Power barrel some years back and have been VERY satisfied with that product, as well. It's a beautiful barrel that performs at LEAST as well as the original factory barrel (which somehow got damaged, with rifling messed up mid-barrel... Don't think it was anything I did.)
They came into stock withing the last week and I ordered one and it is already here. I look forward to shooting with it at the range. I still havent bought 9mm magazines so Ill be using the .40 mags with 9mm ammo which Ive read work with FMJ but not so well with JHP.
Old December 22, 2017, 07:06 PM   #34
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerks
...so Ill be using the .40 mags with 9mm ammo which Ive read work with FMJ but not so well with JHP.
That was my experience -- but it may depend on the JHP design.

The JHP stuff I was using would bite into the feed ramp; other designs (different brand) might work better. I don't remember what I used...
Old December 23, 2017, 03:22 AM   #35
Smerks

Quote:
That was my experience -- but it may depend on the JHP design.

The JHP stuff I was using would bite into the feed ramp; other designs (different brand) might work better. I don't remember what I used...
I got to the range today and even the FMJ had feed issues, it was good to get some malfunction drill practice, and they actually had the FNS-9 magazines at my range for $4 more than online so I just bought one and it was perfect.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:46 AM   #36
Walt Sherrill

Check www.highplainsgunshop.com, as they have them on sale every now and then.

I didn't see anything today -- or the site just isn't working right.