The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2017, 03:07 PM   #26
arquebus357

Still wanting to know if this revolver was passed on to you by a FFL ??? I'm curious because that would be my first suspect of any foul play.
Old December 2, 2017, 10:33 PM   #27
EIGHTYDUECE

I saw two of those revolvers today at the gunshow. Both had what looks like a glue seam there just like yours. They were a little cleaner but still obvious. It may be normal.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old December 3, 2017, 12:47 AM   #28
Pathfinder45

Hopefully you may get a refund, not a direct replacement, because the take-away from this should be: Don't buy plastic guns.

.....just sayin'.....
Old December 3, 2017, 01:22 AM   #29
K_Mac

My take-away, depending on the companies response, may be to not buy Taurus. I love a wide variety of plastic handguns across the pricing spectrum. Taurus is not on my list.
Old December 3, 2017, 07:10 AM   #30
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Hopefully you may get a refund, not a direct replacement, because the take-away from this should be: Don't buy plastic guns.

.....just sayin'.....
The take away should be, don't buy poorly made plastic guns.
Old December 3, 2017, 08:30 AM   #31
jetinteriorguy

My take away is, I don't buy guns over the Internet. I only buy a gun I can physically handle and inspect in person.
Old December 3, 2017, 09:36 AM   #32
Carmady

I think it was in one of the Lethal Weapon movies, they went to the drive-thru, and Joe Pesci's character didn't get what he ordered, but he didn't find out until after they had driven off and were down the road a bit, and his character commented on what happens (and why) when you go to the drive-thru.

They give you the drive-thru treatment when you buy guns online.

And new guns are no exception, it's a great way for manufacturers to dump their seconds/mistakes.
Old December 5, 2017, 01:08 AM   #33
Gaucho Gringo

That looks worse than the welds on a Russian T-34 tank made in 1942-43. The tanks were good but the workmanship looked like crap. Something is not kosher there.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old December 5, 2017, 02:47 AM   #34
samsmix

I have a Poly Protector. The blemish is the whole thing...lol

....but mine shoots straight.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old December 5, 2017, 03:08 PM   #35
Dave T

Quote:
I saw two of those revolvers today at the gunshow. Both had what looks like a glue seam there just like yours.
I don't know what to say to someone who thinks this is an acceptable way to manufacture a firearm.

Dave
Old December 5, 2017, 05:30 PM   #36
Carmady

It's consumer conditioning.

If the manufacturers constantly decrease quality, Joe Public gets used to it and figures it's acceptable. Joe doesn't want to complain or be a whiner, so he tolerates it and the manufacturers learn how to cut costs even further. As long as "We the People" let them get away with it, they will continue to see just how sloppy/cheap they can get.

Factor in online retailers, who may never even see the product, and you get drive-thru syndrome. The customer doesn't know he's been had until after he's paid for the gun and shipping, and is at his FFL's place. And that's IF he's "picky" enough to complain about it.

I'm NOT picking on the OP, but using this as an example. From the title of this thread, "should it bother me as much as it does?" HECK YES it should bother him. This is a perfect example of a consumer not wanting to come off as a complainer, because he's unsure if the gun in question is acceptable. If we continue to accept stuff like this, it WILL only get worse. The manufacturers are there to increase profits, not quality.

This is a stretch, but I wouldn't be surprised if guns like that in the OP are buggered up intentionally and monitored as "feelers." Then they track the sales and watch what percentage are sold and DON'T come back. This is an excellent way for them to learn what they can get away with.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:05 PM   #37
mete

Polymers CAN be welded but I wouldn't even think of trying unless I knew exactly what polymer it was and if it was strengthened with things like glass fibers.
Old December 6, 2017, 08:48 AM   #38
Carmady

Another example:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590809
Old December 8, 2017, 07:28 AM   #39
fourbore

Quote:
This is a stretch, but I wouldn't be surprised if guns like that in the OP are buggered up intentionally and monitored as "feelers." Then they track the sales and watch what percentage are sold and DON'T come back. This is an excellent way for them to learn what they can get away with.
I think there is some truth in this. The average consumer would prefer low cost and the average stock holder would like maximum profits. You see the inevitable result.

Quality, fit and finish cost money. Look at Sako vs Tikka. To thier credit they broke out two seperate brands. It is at the point Tikka is considered a quality gun. This is a handgun forum, and polymer has a weight advantage. With a revolver even? Beaters have a place, the ruger LCR maybe useful. A revolver example:

Did you now the Ruger Blackhawk has a painted aluminum grip frame. You ding it and the paint chips off. and it is soft, real soft! That was sneaky change. I could have got stainless, but; the SOB's dont tell you this. The rear sight retaining pin fell out. I later had to shim the sight to hold a fine windage adjustment. That is three strikes. I got a Mk IV with 6 issues. I had a bad american. I will not be buying another Ruger. How about you all, will you all stop buying crap? The real kicker is that, it keeps getting worse. it is impossible to keep up. You would think the internet would expose this, but; it mostly fan boys.

Last edited by fourbore; December 8, 2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:44 AM   #40
arquebus357

Have you ever watched a Japanese guy pick out 2x4's at Home Depot. Ever wonder why Japanese products are so good. U.S. Consumers are not nearly fussy about perfection. Good or bad. I'm not sure.
Old December 8, 2017, 01:40 PM   #41
K_Mac

fourbore I guess I am one of the fanboys you speak of. My experience with Ruger has been different than yours. Of course I know a couple of folks who have had quality control issues with Ruger. I don't know anyone who has had a problem that wasn't corrected to suit the owner by the company. Ruger continues to sell guns as fast as they can make them. The market has decided that they are good value. They will do just fine without your support.

Yes, I know that returning a gun shouldn't be necessary. I also understand that some expect perfection at discount prices. What I expect from a firearm is for it to work exactly as advertised. I've never had a Ruger that didn't. I do not expect the same level of refinement from an inexpensive firearm as I do from one that sells for a significantly higher price. What the internet exposes is that some people have expectations that makes me happy I am not in the retail business.

The OP's Taurus doesn't look to me like a minor blemish, and I would not buy a gun in that condition regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited by K_Mac; December 8, 2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old March 16, 2018, 08:21 AM   #42
Spur0701

Just wanted to close out this thread. I talked to Taurus customer service the day after I started this thread, they asked for pics which I emailed to them. I never heard back from them but did get an email from FedEx for a call tag to send the pistol back.....it was returned yesterday via FedEx, same gun (same serial number) and looks like they just cleaned off the glue, see pic below....so that was about a 3 month turn around.

I had posted about this at Taurusarmed.net but the site had some problems when I first posted it and the pics wouldn't display. A user there, Analogkid posted (see post 24) that this was just glue left over from the assembly process that wasn't cleaned off, see here:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...ml#post5032673

Initially from what it looked like to me initially (and everyone else) it was some sort of defect but it would seem to be normal.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:47 PM   #43
Carmady

Quote:
just glue left over from the assembly process
As long as it's tactical glue it oughta be alright.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:29 PM   #44
HighValleyRanch

WOW!
TACKY CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Good to know that as long as you keep that orange zip tie on, it's won't come apart!
Old March 16, 2018, 08:14 PM   #45
GarandTd

I thought it looked bad and sending it in was the right thing to do, IMO. It's too bad they had it so long for what ended up being a blemish.

Are you going to keep it or shoot it? I'd like to hear your Impressions if you do.
Old March 17, 2018, 11:11 AM   #46
pete2

It's a Taurus, it's plastic, to be expected. Best not to buy them, save til you can buy a S&W or a Ruger.
Old March 18, 2018, 06:52 PM   #47
DFM914

The Taurus mark of quality!