The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Poconolg

Min and Max load in 22-250 with RE-10x

Just double checking my load. I have a 2016 Alliant loading guide and it lists for a 22-250 with a 52gr bullet 33gr of RE-10x if I reduce it 10% like the guide says the starting load would be 29.7. I used 30.5 gr the other day and the bolt was tight to open. Just want another opinion on this load because it shot well.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Tight bolt lift is, indeed a pressure sign. How does the case head look? Are you getting sharp marks where the ejector and extractor are? Does the primer look highly flattened and with sharply raised areas around the firing pin indentation? Has the case head expanded as compared to your starting load? If these signs are pronounced, they confirm high pressure. If not, you may have some other issue, like a bolt lug not making firm contact, trying to stretch to find the receiver lug, allowing the case to stretch back a little extra on one side, but then pinning it down when the bolt springs back.

Are your bullet, case, primer and COL the same as listed by Alliant? These days, bullet type differences alone can cause difference in peak pressure, as explained here. Different primers and different case capacities can make some pressure differences, too. If your bullet is very close to touching the lands, that can raise pressure 20% or so.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 20, 2018, 01:27 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...2016 Alliant loading guide..." Current data on their site is the same. Just means they haven't tested RL-10 and 52 grain bullets since then. You can download their 2018 guide if you want. Or they'll send you one for free. http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx
"...the bolt was tight to open..." Like Nick says, there are other factors. I'd be very surprised if there are any pressure issues(Alliant doesn't publish 'em on-line) though. What OAL? The cases the correct length? Any of the signs Nick listed present?
Old September 20, 2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Poconolg

The brass is Lapua 1.095 long and the ogive is .018 off lands. I am using Win primers.
Old September 20, 2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Poconolg

Correction the brass is 1.905 long