The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Sultan1975

Market for a new pistol..

Hello everyone, I am first time at the site, and from what I've seen its pretty informative ..
I am in the market for a new pistol for target, and steel plates.. may transition into 3 gun etc.

Current set up is a glock 19 with a couple add ons etc..
Looking for something with weight, being new to the area..I finally found a shop with a CZ sp-01, and a shadow 2 I have been thinking about the sp-01, but wondering if I should go with the shadow 2 instead?
Anyone run either of these? suggestions?
Thanks !

Last edited by Sultan1975; September 15, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old September 15, 2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Nathan

If I were buying a CZ pistol for the things you list, it would be the tactical sports model or the 75 custom bullseye.

Basically, SAO, 3.5lb trigger, 9mm, no firing pin safety...
Old September 15, 2018, 05:56 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Between the two for competition I'd take the Shadow. If you look around online you can find them for pretty good prices (or locally if you're lucky). I'd add that not having a firing pin block can be a plus, but even for firing pin block equipped CZs there are parts and springs you can install that make the block really a non issue. That said I think starting with the Shadow is just easier than adding on to the SP-01.

As for how much you do or don't need to spend on a competition pistol, that's not super easy to answer. Last year I took a marksmanship pistol course where the day was spent mostly at 25 yds shooting at bullseye targets. There was a gentleman there shooting a German made SIG X5. I was shooting a stock Glock. He shot better than me. Did he shoot as better than me as the price differences between the pistols would have you assume? No, and frankly I think he was also a better shot beside the pistol.

In pistol marksmanship there is a point where each level of improvement requires really a tremendous level of practice. More often than not the shooter is the limiting factor, not the equipment. In the many courses I've done I've sometimes seen shooters look at replacing equipment as a faster means to achieve their goals than developing better skill (and when it comes to mechanical most pistols are capable of 2-3" at 25 yds). This isn't me saying don't ever buy a competition pistol, this is me saying maybe try competing with what you have first and then evaluating after a few matches to see if you think your equipment is really holding you back. Also make sure that the equipment you buy will be permissible for the specific competition you're interested in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2018, 06:20 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

Market for a new pistol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan1975 View Post
Hello everyone, I am first time at the site, and from what I've seen its pretty informative ..

I am in the market for a new pistol for target, and steel plates.. may transition into 3 gun etc.

Current set up is a glock 19 with a couple add ons etc..

Looking for something with weight, being new to the area..I finally found a shop with a CZ sp-01, and a shadow 2 I have been thinking about the sp-01, but wondering if I should go with the shadow 2 instead?

Anyone run either of these? suggestions?

Thanks !

I don’t know the pistol requirements for 3 gun. I know the Shadow 2 only qualities for USPSA not IDPA.

I love the SP-01. If you just replace the Internal springs with the kit pictured below you will be very close in feel to the Shadow 2.
It is all I did to my CZ 75 SP-01 and 75 Compact. I did a video on my Instagram (MuzzleblastMD) to show I can pull the trigger with minimal effort, in single and double action.

I don’t think you need to go all out on a cajunized gun unless you want to minimize reset and take up.

I also changed to a SS Guide rod for added weight. The SP-01 handles extremely well.

Out of the box, the SP-01 and 75 Tactical are amazing.

I was hitting an 8 inch target out at 30 yards at will with All but my compact.

The Tactical was acquired yesterday since my suppressors are coming this month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 15, 2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Sultan1975

I mostly do it for fun right now, but want to purchase a new gun, I know new and or the best is not going to improve me or my results.. just in the market for a pistol I want it to be for competition.
Old September 15, 2018, 06:27 PM   #6
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan1975 View Post
I mostly do it for fun right now, but want to purchase a new gun, I know new and or the best is not going to improve me or my results.. just in the market for a pistol I want it to be for competition.

For fun, any of them will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 15, 2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Sultan1975

Thanks CDR...
How you like the g10 grips?
Old September 16, 2018, 11:22 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...for target and steel plates..." Two very different things. So is "3 gun, etc.". A lot will depend on the type of target shooting though. For example, no 9mm is suitable for bullseye matches due mostly to the total lack of match grade bullets. And plates can be shot with cast bullet target loads.
In any case, decide on your budget first. Then buy what fits your hand best.
1024 x any other size is too big.